Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 11:51 PM

Default Camp Wainwright Hunt

Hi. My friend and I both drew Camp Wainwright deer this year. This will be our first time for this hunt. I know that hotel rooms in Wainwright are expensive so my question is, is there anywhere we can camp within reasonable distance to the base if we were to tow our trailer? Have any of you done this before? Any information would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2018, 12:35 AM

If it is open Riverdale is about 15min north on 41. Few lakes in the area as well
Old 07-19-2018, 06:31 AM

Just a few choices, there are more.

Dr. Middlemass Park & Picnic Area
Phone: (780) 842-3541
Email: middlemass@wainwright.ca
30 fully serviced sites (30-amp), 4 15-amp tent stalls, children’s play area, shower, all within the town limits.
Click here for Rules & Regulations
The Rotary Splash Park is adjacent to Dr. Middlemass campground and is open daily during summer months from 9am – 8:30pm. Click here for Rules & Regulations
RV Dump Station is now located at 305-14 Avenue (Petroleum Park) – *Open

Wainwright Golf Club RV Park
Wainwright Golf Club House Front April 2017Just passing through or planning to stay awhile? Wainwright Golf Club is the place to spend your summer. 26 fully serviced sites await you complete with shower facilities. (23 – 30 amp sites & 3 – 50 amp sites) Complimentary WiFi and firewood. And located right off of Hole 1 on our Beautiful Golf Course Our reasonable rates will have you thinking that you are at your home away from home. Try our Stay & Play for Unlimited Golf and Night in our Park. Call for Details.

Call our Pro Shop to book a site today. Toll free (866) 842-3046 ext 1 or 780-842-3046.

Arm Lake Recreational Area
Phone: (780) 842-4727

124 serviced & unserviced sites
full service clubhouse
laundromat
showers
fishing
public beach and picnic area
RV dump
and 9 hole golf course with services.
Riverdale Mini Park
Phone: (780) 842-2996

104 serviced & unserviced sites
full service clubhouse
laundromat and showers
picnic and play area
day sites
RV dump station
mini-golf
and a par 3 golf course with services.
Dillberry Lake Provincial Park
Phone: (780) 858-3824
234 serviced & unserviced sites, playgrounds and concession, RV dump, fishing, swimming, hiking and day shelters.

Fabyan Campsite
Great picnic and short stay campsite approx. 8 miles West of Wainwright. Operated by the MD of Wainwright. 780-842-4454

Ribstone Campsite
Picnic and short stay campsite approx. 25 miles East of Wainwright.

Clear Lake
Tent sites only. Public beach and picnic area. fishing, swimming, boating and walking trails.

Amigo’s All Season RV Park
Long term rentals. 16 site RV Park, Power 35 amp/water/sewer/laundry facilities/showers, 8 x 20 decks per site, picnic tables & fire pits.

Call 780.842.2951 for reservations & information. Located approx. 20km north east of Wainwright.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:34 AM

Default Wainwright hotels

My brother and I were there last year for the Camp Wainwright hunt. Our hotel was $79/night, that is $40 each and including a continental breakfast. Hotel was clean and friendly. Depending on where you live the savings may be hardly worth the hassle of pulling your trailer in freezing temps.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Just a few choices, there are more.

Dr. Middlemass Park & Picnic Area
Phone: (780) 842-3541
Email: middlemass@wainwright.ca
30 fully serviced sites (30-amp), 4 15-amp tent stalls, children’s play area, shower, all within the town limits.
Click here for Rules & Regulations
The Rotary Splash Park is adjacent to Dr. Middlemass campground and is open daily during summer months from 9am – 8:30pm. Click here for Rules & Regulations
RV Dump Station is now located at 305-14 Avenue (Petroleum Park) – *Open

Wainwright Golf Club RV Park
Wainwright Golf Club House Front April 2017Just passing through or planning to stay awhile? Wainwright Golf Club is the place to spend your summer. 26 fully serviced sites await you complete with shower facilities. (23 – 30 amp sites & 3 – 50 amp sites) Complimentary WiFi and firewood. And located right off of Hole 1 on our Beautiful Golf Course Our reasonable rates will have you thinking that you are at your home away from home. Try our Stay & Play for Unlimited Golf and Night in our Park. Call for Details.

Call our Pro Shop to book a site today. Toll free (866) 842-3046 ext 1 or 780-842-3046.

Arm Lake Recreational Area
Phone: (780) 842-4727

124 serviced & unserviced sites
full service clubhouse
laundromat
showers
fishing
public beach and picnic area
RV dump
and 9 hole golf course with services.
Riverdale Mini Park
Phone: (780) 842-2996

104 serviced & unserviced sites
full service clubhouse
laundromat and showers
picnic and play area
day sites
RV dump station
mini-golf
and a par 3 golf course with services.
Dillberry Lake Provincial Park
Phone: (780) 858-3824
234 serviced & unserviced sites, playgrounds and concession, RV dump, fishing, swimming, hiking and day shelters.

Fabyan Campsite
Great picnic and short stay campsite approx. 8 miles West of Wainwright. Operated by the MD of Wainwright. 780-842-4454

Ribstone Campsite
Picnic and short stay campsite approx. 25 miles East of Wainwright.

Clear Lake
Tent sites only. Public beach and picnic area. fishing, swimming, boating and walking trails.

Amigo’s All Season RV Park
Long term rentals. 16 site RV Park, Power 35 amp/water/sewer/laundry facilities/showers, 8 x 20 decks per site, picnic tables & fire pits.

Call 780.842.2951 for reservations & information. Located approx. 20km north east of Wainwright.
I wonder how many of those sites are open that time of year
Old 07-19-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
I wonder how many of those sites are open that time of year
You want me to call them and make your reservation too! Some flippin people, boggles the mind.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
You want me to call them and make your reservation too! Some flippin people, boggles the mind.
Wonderful ill take a site also!!...
Do they have a game cleaning station ? And storage?...
Lol i agree boggles the mind.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
My brother and I were there last year for the Camp Wainwright hunt. Our hotel was $79/night, that is $40 each and including a continental breakfast. Hotel was clean and friendly. Depending on where you live the savings may be hardly worth the hassle of pulling your trailer in freezing temps.
Thanks. I was under the impression that hotels were double that amount or higher and availability slim if you don't book far in advance. I guess deals can be found.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the responses. I should clarify I'm wondering if anyone has first hand experience towing their trailer for the Wainwright hunt. Where did you camp? Experience? Worth it?

If you have nothing productive to add, why respond? Boggles the mind.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:17 PM

I booked hotels 3 weeks ago for our hunt I believe it was $115/night. It wasn't the most expensive option but also wasn't the cheapest. Don't wait tho if your planning to stay in a hotel I'd be booking a lot sooner then later as availability will be limited with the hunt and oilfield traffic.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:05 PM

We stayed at amigo's camp ground last seasons and it was great!! Open all winter heated shower wash room trailer and tv room. I will be staying there again this year for the first ride season
Old 07-19-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
Thanks for the responses. I should clarify I'm wondering if anyone has first hand experience towing their trailer for the Wainwright hunt. Where did you camp? Experience? Worth it?

If you have nothing productive to add, why respond? Boggles the mind.

Over the years we have stayed at the Fabayn site and at the old train station right in town, and in a couple of private yard sites during hunting season/ Camp hunts. However, what is open and what isn't changes every year and if you don't phone for reservations well in advance you will likely end up disappointed.

Pardon me for not being able to predict which will have availability and or be open for the specific hunt you have been drawn for since they run from Sept through mid Jan in the Camp depending on which draw and what game you are hunting. I will certainly not bother you with any information in the future.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:21 PM

Thanks Byron. Definitely don't want to wait too long. I'll be making my decision soon.

Dr.D, thanks for the info. I was just looking at Amigo's earlier today. Looks like a good spot if i decide to trailer.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Over the years we have stayed at the Fabayn site and at the old train station right in town, and in a couple of private yard sites during hunting season/ Camp hunts. However, what is open and what isn't changes every year and if you don't phone for reservations well in advance you will likely end up disappointed.

Pardon me for not being able to predict which will have availability and or be open for the specific hunt you have been drawn for since they run from Sept through mid Jan in the Camp depending on which draw and what game you are hunting. I will certainly not bother you with any information in the future.
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Btw, it wasn't me who posted wondering which sites would be open.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Btw, it wasn't me who posted wondering which sites would be open.

JohnC
I know it wasn't you that asked about which were open. What I was responding to was your comment about if nothing useful to add. Maybe wasn't directed at me but the Boggles the mind comment made me think it was. If I took it the wrong way, no biggee, we can just forget that part.

Hope you have a good trip and it isn't too cold. Last couple of Dec, Jan trips I have been real glad we booked hotels. Was nice to get inside, thaw and dry out and have someone else do the cooking. Made for a lot more relaxed schedule. Been staying at he Springs Motor Inn. Clean rooms, decent restaurant, runs about $80 a night. The Bio Vista is old but well cared for and reasonable price.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:06 AM

It was directed at the guy who chimed in right after you. I know you were one of the first to help with some info. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks I'll check those out. I think I'm leaning towards hotel over towing.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:53 AM

Been on this hunt for many years, through oil booms too. Never had an issue getting a room a month before except once, that time we stayed in a motel in Irma Ab. Lots of food options in Wainwright now, nice warm bed, shower, tv, someone cleans the room lol. Not too expensive either Imo.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:33 AM

Someone should book a block of rooms at the super 8 and see if we can get a discount.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Someone should book a block of rooms at the super 8 and see if we can get a discount.
You can try, but they are usually booked for the hunts, so no real incentive to discount rooms.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You can try, but they are usually booked for the hunts, so no real incentive to discount rooms.

I thought Dean2 could do all the legwork.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I thought Dean2 could do all the legwork.
Well let me just jump right on that. I put in 999 for Wainwright this year but I would be more than happy to be the travel coordinator for all of you that got drawn. There will of course be a small surcharge, but I can guarantee top notch accommodation, food, the best liquor and even dancing girls. As my buddy the Rabbi says, you are such a one!