Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Banned

Default driedmeat lake

george is driving me out to driedmeat lake tomorow after the big fest we had we figured it would be good to catch a bunch more mariahs and maybe some jacks for supper tomorow nite i will be in the tent george is driving a red ford truck stop by and say hi
Old 01-23-2008, 08:48 AM

You actually eat fish out of Dried Meat Lake whoa! That explains a thing or two. Tight lines Wilbur
Old 01-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Banned

back from driedmeat didnt go so good today i caught some pickeral and only a couple mariahs for the table i told george if hes coming over to eat some not to ask his friend clirence to come cause between the misses and george and the kids i dont think it will be a big enough fest
Old 01-23-2008, 07:24 PM

Default wet salad river

did not know there was "pickrel" in that lake.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:36 PM

what is a mariaha? Never heard of them before. maybe slang for burbot or whiteys????
Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
what is a mariaha? Never heard of them before. maybe slang for burbot or whiteys????
Burbot.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Banned

its good to be back home the trip was very long we had a big fest tonight on all the pickeral from Jan lake me and my friend Waylon were going to headout to driedmeat tomorrow i bought some new hooks and some bait so we figured it would be a good idea to go catch some mariahs but Waylon ended up getting ****ed on some of the bo beer i brought back and he ate some of my new bait gulp chicken livers to make George and the kids laugh now he is passed out on the fewton and hes been cuttin them and moaning a lot i think ill be heading out in the morning by myself around 11.30 so if someone wants to join me out there i will be in Georges red ford
Old 02-01-2008, 05:03 AM

holy crap is that hard to read without any periods. my high school english teacher's head would have exploded. jk
Old 02-01-2008, 02:17 PM

Dang good plan Wilbur ... get WAYLON drunk and then borrow GEORGE"S red Ford to go fishing with. Saves wear and tear on the LTD. Hope he didn't eat all your fish bait!

We're staying tuned for the 'Driedmeat Lake Fishing Report' ... don't let us down now.

Last edited by highwayman; 02-02-2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Hard to follow 140 word sentences ...:-)
Old 02-01-2008, 02:30 PM
340wtby

You bringing the bohemian? Great Sask beer!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:52 PM

Driedmeat winter killed last spring so I wouldn't expect too much from the fishing this winter. The banks were lined with suckers and jacks belly up after ice out. Walleye have been rare in here traditionally but there is the odd one caught. Used to be good pike lake especially in winter (wayyy too many summer weeds!)
Old 02-02-2008, 04:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
did not know there was "pickrel" in that lake.
There is NO PICKERAL in any lake in Alberta , period.

Last edited by BUD; 02-02-2008 at 04:48 AM. Reason: .
Old 02-02-2008, 07:38 AM

Anybody seen George on the ice? Drives a red Ford? Wilber's holding out on his secret spot. Waylon's still recovering from the bait he ate.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:27 AM

After reading this...

Wow, just wow...
Old 02-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Banned

well its Wilbur here again i was out on driedmeat the last couple days caught a pile of mariahs and a few pickerals and jacks bud i am not sure where you get your supply but there is lots of pickeral in alberta and sask in 2 and a half days i caught 20 mariahs 4 pickerals and 3 jacks Waylon is getting better in the Camrose hopspital i dont think he will be eating anyone more gulp chicken livers we arent sure if it was the chicken livers or the bo beer that made him sick i came back early today to watch the super ball football game and have a fest with george and the kids and i guess Clirence is coming over to sinc there will be lots to eat the misses has been staying at her moms ever since she saw that Juanita Runningbeaver gave me a email saying it was good to see me in PA i hope she comes home soon i am running out of pickled eggs
Old 02-03-2008, 02:53 PM

hey wilbur, it is nice to see you back! How are you making out with your ice home?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
hey wilbur, it is nice to see you back! How are you making out with your ice home?
i havnt found a cheap enough older 5th wheel yet i think a mobile home will be to tough to move around if the fish arent biteing i figure if the misses comes home and starts working at the service station again we could look at getting the supplys to build mine and Waylons sommer idea
Old 02-03-2008, 04:22 PM

Wilbur, you always brighten up my day
Old 02-03-2008, 11:58 PM

hi Wilbur,
glad you had a great trip and a successful fish harvest,
just curious how has the LTD been performing in this extreme cold that we've been having recently ?? are you planning to haul the 5th wheel with it?

Cheers !
Old 02-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
well its Wilbur here again i was out on driedmeat the last couple days caught a pile of mariahs and a few pickerals and jacks bud i am not sure where you get your supply but there is lots of pickeral in alberta and sask in 2 and a half days i caught 20 mariahs 4 pickerals and 3 jacks Waylon is getting better in the Camrose hopspital i dont think he will be eating anyone more gulp chicken livers we arent sure if it was the chicken livers or the bo beer that made him sick i came back early today to watch the super ball football game and have a fest with george and the kids and i guess Clirence is coming over to sinc there will be lots to eat the misses has been staying at her moms ever since she saw that Juanita Runningbeaver gave me a email saying it was good to see me in PA i hope she comes home soon i am running out of pickled eggs
Walleye are not Pickeral , Walleye are Walleye , a Pickeral looks totally differant than a Walleye , in fact it looks very similar to a Pike with differant markings and is found only in eastern Canada.
Easy to see one , type in pickeral on google.

Its unbelieveable that so many people believe that Walleye and Pickerel are the same species , even on Google some sites believe they are , even the ontario fisheries for heavens sake.
Pickerel look like a pike ,PERIOD .

Last edited by BUD; 02-04-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:05 AM

Default pickrel

i think most peaple know a "pickrel" is in fact a walleye. just that so many oldtimers and such call them a pickrel, that it just sticks. it is slowly changing though. you hear it less often now. not a biggy!!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:09 AM

Pickeral is a very common slang term for Walleye. I see no issue with calling them that. Just as "Jacks" is used for pike. why the big issue???
Old 02-04-2008, 07:35 AM

What next did you know that Alberta did not have a Sauger record until 1977 because everyone thought they were pickeral which were actually walleye so in 1977 AFW biologist Mel Kraft held the first Sauger record in Alberta just because no one had entered one before that.

Pike are pike unless they are grass pike which are not Norther Pike because they are Jacks but Jacks are not just "pike" and are chain pickeral the same as pickeral? Or what and how do you tell the differance between Dolly Varden and Bull trout? Will the world end if we don't call them by the right name?

Sorry I'm babbling but I think its all too funny
Old 02-04-2008, 07:36 AM

Hey Wilber found the perfect rig for ya.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg home6_lg.jpg (107.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg home1_lg.jpg (105.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg photo8-2.jpg (111.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg home5_lg.jpg (90.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 02-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
i think most peaple know a "pickrel" is in fact a walleye. just that so many oldtimers and such call them a pickrel, that it just sticks. it is slowly changing though. you hear it less often now. not a biggy!!
Do l have to tell you again , a Pickerel does not look anything like a Walleye , and is in fact a Walleye only, do some research , A Pickerel looks like a pike , its like comparing a trout to a perch , experieanced fishermen like you should at least know your fish species.
Would you call a Mule deer a Whitetail just because their both deer , not a biggy either l guess.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
Pickeral is a very common slang term for Walleye. I see no issue with calling them that. Just as "Jacks" is used for pike. why the big issue???
Because Jacks and Pike are the same , Walleye and Pickerel are not , not even close resembence , the slang is used by fishermen who dont know what a Pickerel really is.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:12 AM

Hey Wilbur,enjoy your threads. Keepem coming. Just another fisherman who really does not know what a pickerel really is. Bud take a deep breath and relax . Or better yet go pickerel fishin, it is good therapy.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 AM
340wtby

http://www.roadsideattractions.ca/opasatika.htm
Hey BUD check out this site! I took your advice and gooled pickeral.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:52 AM

hey bud you sound like a guy that talks about fishing lots rather than a guy who fishes lots.Just because some people call walleye, pickerl does not mean they do not know the differnce.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:55 AM

Now whats the difference between a Muskie and a Pike? Never caught a Muskie.
Closed Thread