Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-03-2008, 11:11 PM

Default Fishing Stories to Entertain Me!!

So I'm sitting here procrastinating studing/doing homework, and am looking for some good entertainment...nothing better than talking about fishing, especially my kinda fishing (salmon/hali).

So hoping a few of you guys have some good salmon and halibut stories to tell...or just good fishing stories in general!!
Old 02-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Banned

Ok.. Here goes
It was approx 3 years ago, I was fishing Kano inlet with my lawyer friend Doug.
Now Doug is somewhat a city boy dispute being raised in a small town south of Calgary. It took a fair bit of convincing to get him to come.
Anyhow it only took him approx 10 minutes to become hooked on this sport.

We were fishing Halis for most of the Mid days.. I was right into them. Now remember we are both in the same boat. I would drop my line down, and hook A Hali, he would drop his down and get a Skate. This went on for 4 days straight. I was catching lots of Halis, and he had 5 Skates to his credit.
Finally on the last hour, he hooks into something HUGE. We have the video tape rolling and our guide is calling for the other boats to come over and have a look. Doug is straining for every inch. His arms are dying and he is using the side of the boat as a lever. He starts to BEG for someone to take the rod. (Well thats how I tell the story ) Any how a resounding F.U from all that were around watching.. At this point we have 3 different boats sitting there watching us. The sweat is pouring down Doug's face.. This really was a massive fight. The guide was thinking this was at least a 200 pound Hali brought up from way down.
Just about the time I thought Doug was going to give up we start to see something in the water..
A MONSTER SKATE

Immediately the other boats take off and leave us with this Monster Skate. By far and away the largest our guide had ever seen. It was very quit out on that big Blue ocean
I actually felt bad for my Buddy. Well for at least the first 2 minutes.
After that I was rolling on the bottom of the boat.
By the time we got back to the main ship, everyone had heard this heroic tale and Doug is officially known as "Skate" around OBMG.
That poor bugger tried so hard for a Hali and all he ended up with was some very sore muscles and a killer nickname.

Jamie
Old 02-04-2008, 02:40 PM

That's a hilarious story...had one guy up with us this year...thought he had hooked into a giant hali twice...turned out to be a skate each time (and I hadn't seen a skate caught for at least 5 years). Still got his chickens...but he wanted that gaf to kick the crap outta that skate the 2nd time hahahha!