Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-21-2008, 10:18 PM

Default Not happy -Pigeon Prov.boat dock

We have all been there at Pigeon Lake ,unloading your boat just to find some guys like to tie their boats to the concreat boat dock while they go for lunch !
Whats up with that !
Had a very hard time on the weekend to pick up my partner after he parked the truck and trailer so he could jump in the boat !
4 hours later coming in, same boats still parked

Do the guys that look after the campground know about this problem!
Wabaman and Alberta beach both have sighens saying no parking of boats except for launching!
Where is pigeons sighen !
Is it just me ,or others feel the same ?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:02 AM

fishing off the wall some boats are there half the day. others are back and forth 10X in an hour.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:22 AM

i was out there this past weekend too and found that was my only complaint.

fishing was hot and the campground is awesome...that boat launch is a joke

[RANT]

its an absolute zoo

-idiots who tie to wall for 4-5 hours, pushing 10+ boats into a hold pattern 50 yds out while waiting for there partner to get the trailer in the water for them
-then you have the guys out there just for fun in there sea-doo boats in to the wall and back out on the water 30 times an hour all the time wide F***ing open HUGE wake for the guy in knee deep water trying to winch his boat on.....so lame

[/RANT]

im all for people getting out and enjoying the lake....i realize not everyone is there to fish....but when you get that many people crammed onto one launch area the D*mb*sses really get there chance to shine LOL
Old 07-22-2008, 08:29 AM

That launch is probably the worst one I have ever encountered. That concrete dock they have is a joke, no way would I let my boat beat up against that while waiting for anyone. 99% of the time wind is blowing into the launch which makes that supposed dock useless.

Why not construct some good docks going out into the lake. Nothing wrong with having 3 or 4 of them of decent size to accomodate everyone. Shiningbank's day use docks are kick butt awesome. Run by the County though but Pigeon could learn something from them.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:55 AM

Angry

That is nothing. Last week, a boat was parked for a long time and when the owner decided to go for a ride, he did not bother with my line and ran through it even if he knew I was there... As he was going away, my fishing rod was loosing all of its line until I found something to cut it...

I was freaking ****ed... I know it's a boat lunch, but these people should respect these people fishing off-shore, especially at the other end of the boat lunch...!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:16 AM

Being somewhat of a local at the lake I can tell you its not the locals who cause most of these problems.

My father in law has a lake lot and boats and fishes all the time.

He constantly complains about the ***holes who think they need to be around other boats tearing up the water.

2 weeks ago we gave chase to a young guy and his buddies as we were fishing near the small island and they came ripping by at no more then 20ft from us.
We caught up to them and got them to stop, we expained what they had done.And the lippy little **** told us to **** off....
Ok, We did and gave them a little bath with our jets as we left.
Stupid that it had to come to that but something needed to be done.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:13 PM

This just doesn't surprise my at all, Just look at people on the Roads, Driving on the shoulder to pass a traffic jam, Speeding , parking in a handicap zone, not signaling, etc....
Everybody is only concerned with themselves these days, they feel they are more important then the other Riff Raff ( us).
It's everywhere , not just at the lake.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM

A couple of weeks ago same thing happened to me at Lake Newell. As I like to go fishing very early in the summer. I pulled up to the boat launch at 04:00 in the morning & 2 boats was tied off to each side of the dock, I managed to get in there with mine, and checked back at 7:30 and they were just going out. Kinda really makes a guy mad when he gets up at 02:00, load boat, drive for a hour & the dock is tied up. Then last week at Grassy Lake I show up at 04:30 and they have no dock, but beside the dock is 4 fishing rods out on rod holders casted out with pickeral rigs on. The nearest camper was probally 50 yards away, with everybody sleeping, so I just reeled them in and sure enough 1 rod had a small walleye on. One rod had on a pike rig with a large smelt & huge barbed treble hook. I released the fish and went fishing.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:12 PM

I've seen many similar problems like that at Pigeon, Coal (really bad as it is a narrow lake), Wabamun, Long Lake, etc., etc.
Who is responsible for policing the lakes?
RCMP? CO's? or the Coast Guard?
Whoever it is, it would sure be nice to have someone putting these jerks in check!!! Just like the new Sheriff's are doin on the highways!
Old 07-22-2008, 07:18 PM

Thumbs up lonely lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAltaHunter View Post
A couple of weeks ago same thing happened to me at Lake Newell. As I like to go fishing very early in the summer. I pulled up to the boat launch at 04:00 in the morning & 2 boats was tied off to each side of the dock, I managed to get in there with mine, and checked back at 7:30 and they were just going out. Kinda really makes a guy mad when he gets up at 02:00, load boat, drive for a hour & the dock is tied up. Then last week at Grassy Lake I show up at 04:30 and they have no dock, but beside the dock is 4 fishing rods out on rod holders casted out with pickeral rigs on. The nearest camper was probally 50 yards away, with everybody sleeping, so I just reeled them in and sure enough 1 rod had a small walleye on. One rod had on a pike rig with a large smelt & huge barbed treble hook. I released the fish and went fishing.
RIGHT ON.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:27 PM

If you guys want to launch at a really nice quiet boat launch go down the road five minutes to fisher home. we have been launching there for 3 years now and have never had to wait in line. Also, theynjust built a nice dock there that you can pull your boat down. i agree i have had nothing but problems launching from provincial park. After the quiet launch we have had a couple of 200 plus walleye days this year too as soon as you get by the booyes and fish in front of those new cabins!!
Old 07-22-2008, 07:54 PM

Angry That was YOU!!!! ( Kidding )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAltaHunter View Post
Too bad report a poacher couldn't have been called as you cannot leave your rod un-attended, and is it a Catch and release walleye lake?
I think you did a very good thing, ( I probably would have released the fish and then cut the lines and tossed the rigs in the garabage...but I am a Jerk! LOL )
keep up the great work of looking after everybodies resources!!!
Cheers!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:26 PM

Last year on Canada Day we too were a pilon for a SeaDoo boaters pleasure as were the other half dozen small boats beside us. Funny thing, later in the day a PWC type Seadoo (yellow, maybe you know the one) was heading right for us and the first thought was here we go again, as it turned out it was a F&G warden. I thought good for them you would never of guessed until he got close enough in his green duds. For interest sake there was no wind that day, but due to traffic there were constant waves all day, busy place on a long weekend.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:14 PM

Slipbobber sent me this to post for him.
Looks like its at Pigeon!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:24 PM

This is another reason why shift work is they way to go! Mid week all the weekend warriors are gone and the lakes and hunting spots are peaceful. I have never had to wait at Pigeon once during the week.!!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllecat View Post
That is nothing. Last week, a boat was parked for a long time and when the owner decided to go for a ride, he did not bother with my line and ran through it even if he knew I was there... As he was going away, my fishing rod was loosing all of its line until I found something to cut it...

I was freaking ****ed... I know it's a boat lunch, but these people should respect these people fishing off-shore, especially at the other end of the boat lunch...!
Thats like me , Honest story ask Sucram You gotta stand up and tell the guy off then he might throw you a little pitty or act tuff , well thats what this one guy did until I stood up he shut up . And then came back on shore offered me new tackle and such I declined and told him would be nice to see people use the lake with brains and a little respect . And walked away . I see it alot doesnt matter weekend or not there always Idiots there in there boats not watching for others . Clueless clueless people , They need to get the Rcmp out there checking for Boat licenses , because I bet you a 1000 bucks more then 1/2 dont got it .
Old 07-22-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Slipbobber sent me this to post for him.
Looks like its at Pigeon!

I remember that that was 2 years ago around middle of August HAahhaha Ive seen it before actually thats not the first , Or the amount of people who forget or dont remember to put the plug in and then get all ****y . MAn it makes me laugh
Old 07-24-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Thats like me , Honest story ask Sucram You gotta stand up and tell the guy off then he might throw you a little pitty or act tuff , well thats what this one guy did until I stood up he shut up . And then came back on shore offered me new tackle and such I declined and told him would be nice to see people use the lake with brains and a little respect . And walked away . I see it alot doesnt matter weekend or not there always Idiots there in there boats not watching for others . Clueless clueless people , They need to get the Rcmp out there checking for Boat licenses , because I bet you a 1000 bucks more then 1/2 dont got it .
Ya for sure BBJ lots of ignorant bastards on that lake and I agree that most of them do not have a license. I think someone with lots of money should spring for a couple of docks for us to fish from.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmike68 View Post
This is another reason why shift work is they way to go! Mid week all the weekend warriors are gone and the lakes and hunting spots are peaceful. I have never had to wait at Pigeon once during the week.!!
Amen to that, I'm on holidays right now and last weekend the lake I am at was so busy that I didint even bother to go out. Now that its the middle of the week its pretty slow and the fish are even biting. But by the weekend it will be a zoo with all the idiot sea dooers and the fishing will shut down.

And I totally agree I would never launch my boat at Pigeons Prov park, just about sunk a buddies boat there last year trying to dock in big waves. What a joke!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:06 PM

Default Finaly got a reply

Sent a note to Alberta Parks on this matter,lets see how long it takes to get a sigen up !Hopfully all works well and we can all be happy !

John, I had a look at the comments on the “outdoorsmen forum” web site re: boats being left unattended at the boat launch at Pigeon Lake Provincial Park. Obviously this is making it difficult for people to launch their boats, so I’ll contact the site conservation officer and ask him to look into it & ensure that the practise is discontinued.

Cyndy Jones

Public Information Coordinator

Parks Division

Toursim, Parks & Recreation

780-427-5138

www.albertaparks.ca

Email: jratke@shaw.ca

Postal Code: T5w-2j9

Park: Pigeon lake Provincial camp ground Visitor Type: - -

Comments:

I send you an email on pigeon lake boat dock and launch, I sent you to another site to check out a decustion on this matter ,It might not have worked ...try this one albertaoutdoorsmenforum.ca

Click on to fishing

Then scroll down to Not happy with pigigeon lake

Waiting for your reply on what changes may take place ...thankyou JR