Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-05-2018, 10:31 AM

Default Trail camera opinions

What is a decent camera that won't break the bank?
Old 07-05-2018, 11:10 AM

Default Best bang for the buck (IMO)

I've had nothing but good things to say about all my Spypoint cameras, they beat the crap out of all the cheap ones I've ever tried and I doubt I will ever waste money buying a different brand now. Fast triggers, amazing battery life, great quality pictures... and Canadian to boot.

Depends on your idea of breaking the bank but I got 2 of the 10D's (previous version of 11-D) for $180 on sale, best deal I see right now is this one at Cabela's

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/98501...d-trail-camera

Chetwyn
Old 07-05-2018, 11:35 AM

I was actually looking at that. Good reviews and reasonably priced.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:39 AM

Default Spypoint Link-S

Again... depends on your definition of breaking the bank. But I now have the new Spypoint Link-S and WOW. Yes it's more expensive and high end, but if you factor in that it's solar so no batteries needed, and it's wireless so no gas money to go check the pics, AND no disturbing your hunting area until you actually want to hunt... Well that I think adds up to a good deal in my opinion.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:33 PM

I’ve had one Spypoint and 2 Stealth Cams.

By far the Spypoint beats the Stealth Cams. The tigger is much faster and the pictures are way better quality.

If I zoom in on the stealth cam photos, the picture gets quite grainy, where the Spypoint keeps a decent resolution to look at small features.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:51 PM

I am testing out apeman cameras you can find them on amazon.ca / amazon.com. $45/$75 depending on the model H45/ H68 I think is the models
I have exclusively used bushnell cameras with average suscess. And these apeman cameras have better reviews and you can’t beat the price.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:58 PM
Banned

I’m selling a few spypoint link 4g’s with the solar panels and external batteries
Little bigger than the link s’s but once they are set up you are good TIL probably Jan or longer
Old 07-05-2018, 03:17 PM

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Spy-Poi...RD7FN08A3R5M08

best cameras for the $ hands down in my opinion
Old 07-05-2018, 05:15 PM

Can’t beat the browning trail cameras for the price I have 30 bushnels Tried almost all other brands but there battery life when it hits minus 30 sucks but I’m now finding the brownings are even better. Any camera will work good in the summer months our winters is what sets them apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2018, 07:37 PM

I have used Moultries for years. Simple to operate which is good for me.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Spy-Poi...RD7FN08A3R5M08

best cameras for the $ hands down in my opinion

Don’t get sucked into this deal at Walmart. I bought the spypoint solar “case of 2” at the start of the year, only one shows up. I call and the offer me 15% off the one camera, which still made it more expensive than I could have gotten at Cabelas. Took about 4-5 months to get my full refund as the “case of 2” was an error. Doesn’t look like much has changed since January when I ordered.

In saying all that, I love my spypoint cams. Never tried browning, but have most of the rest and spypoint hands down has been best bang for the buck!

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2018, 09:21 AM

Damn! I just ordered the Force 10 "case of 2" from walmart. Hasn't shown up yet, but I guess if it's too good to be true... it is.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:28 PM

I’m liking the Brownings as well. I’m running 12-14 of them in varying models, 6 Cudde’s and a few Acorns. Deployed the bulk of them in August and just retrieved a few days ago. Tried Lithium batts this year in roughly half the cams and I’m quite impressed. 2-8GB cards were full or still taking pictures and in most cases, the cams with lithium’s were still showing 100% battery power. Acorns were bottom of the barrel and I’ll run them until they crap out, will not be buying again. The Cudde’s work down into the really cold stuff but image quality (especially at night) starts to suffer. Had these ones for 5 years now and haven’t had an issue aside from what I’ve stated previous. On a couple of the cheaper Brownings, same as the Cudde’s and image will degrade a bit in the dirty cold but on the middle of the road and higher price point I don’t see that issue. Many many pictures in -26C and colder and the image quality is still outstanding. They are proving to be very good value for dollar and for how it’s looking so far, it may be cheaper running lithium batteries vs Costco cheapies.

I would dearly love to run cellulars but service in many a spot proves to be patchy at best.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:54 PM

Bushnell Aggressor 14mp no glow with lithium batteries.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask Bearman View Post
I have used Moultries for years. Simple to operate which is good for me.
Buddy gave me one with the card error problem. No real fix for it. Thought I'd find it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xSZk3lOVL8

Grizz
Old 07-07-2018, 07:05 PM
Banned

Canadian tire had some Primos cameras on sale a while back for $40/ea. I wish I bought 10. I bought 2 and they were awesome for the price. And if someone walked off with it I wasn't out $250 like if it was my spypoint. They're $80/ea now but I'm waiting for a sale again.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:50 PM

I have a hodgepodge of cameras but my most reliable camera as far as getting wildlife not tall grass, lens flares or rustling leaves is my Browning. My cheap Chinese cameras cost half as much but are half as reliable. Experimenting on a $80 apeman camera set up in my yard today.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:06 PM

Another vote for Browning here. I’m running 15 various models and not one issue.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:02 AM

Is there a particular Browning model you guys use?
Old 07-08-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
Mine I think is a recon force.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
I wait for a sale at Cabelas . You can pick them up for around $150 and up .
Strike Force HDs have been good to me. I have 4-5 other models, all good.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:07 PM

Spypoint force 10 has been good for me both summer and winter.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2018, 08:28 AM

i vote for browning as well, I have the bushnells with the viewing screen and a couple brownings and the brownings perform just as good if not better. cold temperature they work really well

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/10790...riantId=299243
Old 07-09-2018, 08:37 AM

Above options are all good choices, just stay away from Wild innovations models, had one change colours from green to white, they did not return my phone calls or emails about this.Now all I use is the cell models, most are the same just different packaging
Old 07-09-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1 View Post
Damn! I just ordered the Force 10 "case of 2" from walmart. Hasn't shown up yet, but I guess if it's too good to be true... it is.
Let me know if you get the order as described. I had also seen the spypoint solar "case of 2" online and missed ordering them. They were a different third party walmart retailer though. So its still possible you will get your order as described.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:33 PM

I bought this one off Amazon and the pics have been outstanding so far IMO, but I have nothing to compare it too. The only drawback is the lack of a security box (could rig up a generic one tho).

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytime.jpg (158.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Night pic.jpg (97.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 07-09-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb8440 View Post
I bought this one off Amazon and the pics have been outstanding so far IMO, but I have nothing to compare it too. The only drawback is the lack of a security box (could rig up a generic one tho).

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I am test driving the same camera now. Pir seems good. Instructions and interface are good. Feels cheap as hell and the latches worry me from a longevity standpoint.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:24 PM

The reviews are pretty outstanding though, will see about longevity I guess. Battery wise I bought the Panasonic Enflow set, they took 1500+ pics over three weeks and still had plenty of charge.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
Let me know if you get the order as described. I had also seen the spypoint solar "case of 2" online and missed ordering them. They were a different third party walmart retailer though. So its still possible you will get your order as described.
Yes, same deal that I bought through the third party at Walmart for the solar cams. Its a scam by the 3rd party. There was definitely not 2 cameras, and when I called them it took months to be able to get my full refund including shipping. They kept trying to scam me with first 10% off, then 15% off without ever honoring the deal they advertised. Pretty sure they expect you to order and then hope to hell you will just accept the 10-15% off their price. Problem is, with the amount they charge you for shipping, it would need to be 40-50% off to match cabelas price when on sale.

Hopefully no one else gets sucked into this one!

DR
Old 07-10-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetywn View Post
I've had nothing but good things to say about all my Spypoint cameras, they beat the crap out of all the cheap ones I've ever tried and I doubt I will ever waste money buying a different brand now. Fast triggers, amazing battery life, great quality pictures... and Canadian to boot.

Depends on your idea of breaking the bank but I got 2 of the 10D's (previous version of 11-D) for $180 on sale, best deal I see right now is this one at Cabela's

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/98501...d-trail-camera
Just an update. Ended up getting this model from Cabelas. Great specs and price.