Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2009, 04:21 PM

Default South Buck lake

Was at south buck lake and could not even catch one walleye.
Anyone one else have any luck in that lake this week .
What are they biting on ?
Old 08-25-2009, 05:13 PM

My cousin lives in Drayton and hits it once a week or so. Says he usually catches a few and usually a couple are of legal size. As far as I know, he just pitches jigs.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 PM

Sounds like its been slow as no one else has relped,heard its very grean there also !
Old 08-26-2009, 10:14 PM

My wife and I went about a week and a half ago and we left after 2 hours..... Water was a thick as chowder and completely green
Old 09-08-2009, 07:43 PM

The green, thick water is normal for buck, happens every year to my knowledge. What I'm wondering is if anyone went to the fisheries management meeting a week or so back about this lake. I really wanted to go but work held me up in fort Mac. Any news on possible regulation changes?

I was really hoping to voice my opinion that a slot size would be what is needed to properly manage this lake. By imposing a minimum size limit that is just larger than what the average fish size is for a lake it makes it very difficult for many mature fish to survive and spawn in my opinion. I'm not saying that the fish won't spawn, because obviously they are. My concern is that we will never see fish of any considerable size in this lake unless a slot size limit is implemented. Keep a few 14-16" fish, sure. But let anything bigger go to grow up and allow for some significant different age and size cl***** of fish to be present in this lake.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:42 AM

I am all for that,50 cm and over to be all released,except I would like the fish cops out more checking boats . Have not ever seen any working the weekend crowds .
Old 09-09-2009, 08:20 AM

I was there on Sunday and caught a few keepers and some hammer handles, just trolling a deep rapala perch pattern and you get pretty steady action.