Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-27-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Wabamum Closing-catch and release only

Heard today that in next year's regs it will be that Wabamum will be catch and release only !
Some of the chemicals ended up at the bottom of the lake and some at top which got cleaned up.
Any comments any one !

Last edited by -JR-; 12-01-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:23 AM

Read Neil Waugh's column, "More Wabamun Woes", in the December Alberta Outdoorsmen.

I'm not surprised. Before the oil spill, the whitefish were already in trouble, little recruitment into the older age classes. Likewise, the pike were suffering. The oil spill doesn't appear to have affected the adult age classes but may have affected the spawning. Also, there is a dispute between Environment Canada and Capital Health as to whether the fish should be eaten. Environment Canada says yes, Capital Health says no--without explanation as to why they differ with E.C.

The C&R should help rebuild stocks. It's a great whitefish and pike lake that should be encouraged to recover.

Don
Stony Plain F&G rep.
Wabamun Watershed Management Council
Old 11-28-2007, 03:33 PM

I think its a good Idea and would be a good bench test for other lakes as well. I would love to see Saint Anne closed for Catch and keep and.

Just my 2cents
Old 11-28-2007, 05:00 PM

I think it is for political reasons more than anything else. They are probably getting pressure from CN to re-open the lake, but they may be worried about possible contamination. In my opinion it is the best way for them to protect themselves. If someone has side effects from eating the fish after they lift the ban they may go after CN. So instead of lifting the ban, make it catch and release.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:25 PM

you can make wabamum and lac stanne c&r all u want but you cant stop native netting no matter what is tried and thats the bigget problen on mostof thoses lakes too the west all c and r is going to do is leave more fish for the nets
Old 11-28-2007, 09:06 PM
jrs

Lake whitefish are not well suited to catch and release, not sure how succesful that will be (those fish die if you look at them funny). May lead to an incredable pike fishery though. Never angled there myself but i have always supported the idea of a few catch and release cool water fisheries (pike in particular, walleye are overrated ).
Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 AM

I have only ever C&Rd at Wab anyways so there is no change to me
I agree with JRS, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a few more trophy pike fisheries. Wab I would put in that class. I'm interested to hear reports from Cow Lake when some of the pike are getting to the 100 cm class. Nice to have a choice out there - lots of opportunity to catch and keep a pike if someone wishes. I also agree about the whitefish, they seem to stress out so easily. Still, C&R will reduce pressure on them and big pike will still enjoy them.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:37 AM

I know I will be out there next year C&R those big pike one after anouther!
Its going to be a busy place on the lake and in town ! Good for the store owners !
Old 12-01-2007, 11:48 AM

A heads-up about open-water winter fishing at Wabamun:

As a tradesman, I've occasionally worked out at the power generating stations out west of Edmonton, and for years, TAU has said they were about to shut down the old relic of a facility at the Wab townsite.

It sounds like they've finally gotten a date set in stone. While waiting to launch from the (Wab) town dock a couple weeks ago, I ended up chatting with a couple TAU guys. They were launching a boat to go looking for some marker buoys that had blown away. Anyway, the point being that they said the agreement they had to use the lake for cooling-water expires in March of 2010. Since they can't operate without this water, the Wab facility will permanently close before then, ending this unique fishing opportunity.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:11 AM

Yeah, that date has been 'set in stone' for quite a while. A more serious problem than being able to launch boats might be the fact that less oxygen will get in the water during the winter because once the plant closes there will be no more open water. That could have serious effects on the fish but no one really knows for sure. The open water has been there since the 1950s.