Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
They tried that with my boat in Vermilion once. I told them their dog was not boarding my boat. Again the woman in charge got snotty, and I reminded them it was an ocean boat, the last time it was in the water was July the previous year, and this was May. I said get booties on your dog and have at it, until then pound sand.
They then said I was exempt again.
Back in the late 80's when I drove highway trucks I was crossing the border late one night from the US to Canada at Ft Erie. There was a LONG delay in being able to declare loads and get on our way and the parking area was severely congested as a result. When my turn finally came to speak to the customs broker and have my load cleared to go I said to the guy "man it's busy here tonight?" He said "we had a truck driver from Tennessee in earlier tonight and the customs agents wanted to put their dog in his truck to do a check. He asked them not to as he was allergic and had to live in the truck but would happily allow them to search his truck all they wanted but please no dog". He said "it turned into an argument between the Canada Customs agent and the driver and the agent decided to open the door and let the dog in against the man's wishes", he continued "that's when all hell broke loose, when the door was pulled open and the dog put it's paws on the fuel tank steps the driver raised a handgun unseen at his side and shot the dog in the head!" He said "it's been rather chaotic here tonight since!!"

As for pulling a drain plug? I always have as long as I've owned a boat. I unplug it when I am at the stern tying down or hooking the leg into the transom saver. Any water that may have gotten in drains out and the boat stays dry and clean. Only takes a second to pull it and a second to put it in prior to launching.

Last edited by The Spank; 07-19-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:33 PM

I have zero issues with these checks but last time coming from Sask of weekend fishing I was in a 50/50 situation.. Was clear blue skies but when I was leaving Saskatoon it rained for almost 2 hrs before cleared up.. when they asked me to drop my engine lots of water started pouring out and the questions began... I explained it was raining in sask on my drive, Thank Christ Wife made a Snapchat of the hail so was able to show them and they calmed down instantly... My question to them was what if my wife didn't have that proof? to which neither could give me an answer
Old 07-19-2017, 06:08 PM

What year did this program start? Seems like it's taking a long time to iron the bugs out of the program.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
What year did this program start? Seems like it's taking a long time to iron the bugs out of the program.

Mandatory this year, last year they had them setup mid season I believe
Old 07-19-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERICARDO View Post
Mandatory this year, last year they had them setup mid season I believe
Oh ok. That's not too bad then. I thought it has been in place a few years already.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Oh ok. That's not too bad then. I thought it has been in place a few years already.
This should have been in place 5 to 10 years ago. To little to late.

But it is better than nothing and I will try to comply even though my boat never leaves Southern Alberta.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:59 AM

I'm living in Medicine Hat and if I go past the Dunmore scale on the Trans Canadian Highway and back I have to stop with my CANOE.

In the end, as I'm going to Cypress Hills (Alberta side) they have no issues, but I still need to stop. They are more suspicious about watercraft that seen water on the Saskatchewan side.

Every time I go in, I ask them what kind the freebies they have for me! Last time, they said "good thing you stopped, we have an officer on duty today".

sure enough, the conservation officer was chasing folks on the highway and coming back with a "victim/offender" to get him thru the checks...most likely he got a ticket too...
Old 07-21-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
What is stupid is having to pull the plug on my 10' Jon boat transported upside down...... I questioned fish and wildlife at the sportsman show in Calgary and they stated I would be ticketed if I did not have it out. I guess good info as I hadn't pulled the plug before when transporting it upside down on my truck rack. No room for descretion or common sense in the application of this law. (For the record I do not disagree with their efforts)
I agree. I have a 12' aluminum that i flip upside down to transport in the back of my truck. All water drained out when i flip it over... isn't that the point of the drain plug! My boat is older and the drain plug is permanent and not removeable. If i get a ticket for this i will fight it, again the purpose to drain all the water and flipping the boat over accomplishes this!
Old 07-21-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
I agree. I have a 12' aluminum that i flip upside down to transport in the back of my truck. All water drained out when i flip it over... isn't that the point of the drain plug! My boat is older and the drain plug is permanent and not removeable. If i get a ticket for this i will fight it, again the purpose to drain all the water and flipping the boat over accomplishes this!
Permanent? What kind of boat is this?

You think common sense would prevail in your case and you would not be ticketed if the boat is drained.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:59 AM

Ironic, many here now whining were the same who thought the program was great due to the cute inspectors, free stickers / freebies given out and no fines early on.

It's an ineffectual program to search your private property and harass you multiple times in a day without a warrant at any time and any place, owning a boat is now considered a privilege, even the family with the kids inflatable in the car get harassed.

The boat dogs are also drug trained, they are also trained at the same place. The program is run by a couple of dog loving environmental liberals who have the ear of the minister. They created their own jobs and infrastructure around the premise they can stop invasive species, which they've already shown they can't. They figured that if they introduced it gradually with a positive spin at first, that no-one would complain. If they were serious about it, they would have provided free washing stations at lakes (like Parks Canada does).

They have less rights to search you vehicle than your boat. Seriously, what did you expect when you rolled over and welcomed this program?
Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 AM

Default Guys relax

Everyone freaking out about these boat check stops need to just relax, they are just trying to prevent/prolong the inevitable they don't want to invade a persons space or take away rights... put the tin foil hats away.

Have any of the people saying the dogs that sniff for zeebra mussels can also sniff for narcotics have first hand proof (Aka have YOU been caught or have YOU seen it happen at a boat check station?) Until such time its just hear say so please don't spread propaganda..

Yes these programs have problems but its a work in progress, just like all programs were at one point. I personally have no problem pulling over and having them check me and all i ever have is a canoe, kayak, or a small 12ft tinner on the top of my truck, and my dad is the same and he has a 15ft Timothy eaton...

Are people in such a rush that you can't take at most an hour (check stop is usually about 20 minutes) out of your day so that we can help try and protect what of our environment we have left.. i can understand for truck drivers who are driving for a living being annoyed but people who are pulling personal recreational watercraft whats the rush?
Old 07-26-2017, 12:09 PM

I have found the inspectors I've dealt with to be really nice and helpful, and they haven't pulled the boat apart trying to find a drop of water so they can write a ticket. It seems to be almost more a strategy to talk to boat owners and give them information than any huge enforcement and ticketing campaign.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:55 PM

Default What if you don't have drain plugs?

We have three kayaks and a paddleboard. One kayak has a drain plug, but as Ravyak said, it is above the water line. The other two yaks do not have plugs.

I transport two of them on my roof rack, one on a J rack and my fishing kayak sits flat, cockpit up on a Thule rack. When it rains, both fill up with rain water.

I've been inspected many times without issues, the last being about a week ago.

But with the drain plug rule in effect, does anyone know whether I'm expected to install plugs in my two yaks that don't have them?
Old 07-26-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclerj View Post

But with the drain plug rule in effect, does anyone know whether I'm expected to install plugs in my two yaks that don't have them?
Yes you must. And also drill a hole in your paddle board and install a plug in it too. I'm getting my canoe done next week.

I'm kidding.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Yes you must. And also drill a hole in your paddle board and install a plug in it too. I'm getting my canoe done next week.

I'm kidding.
Oh no. Went out and drilled the holes already.

Didnt see the I'm kidding till now

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.