Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2018, 05:24 PM

Exclamation Criminal record check - Can I open mail before employer?

Recently done a criminal record check,
this was for a new job they wanted it.
Just got it in the mailbox today,
wondering if I can open and see it before I hand it to my employer,
or
do i have to give it to my employer with sealed envelope?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDad View Post
or

Thanks in advance.
You paid for it I assume and it is your copy....

Keep the original and give your employer a copy...
Old 08-23-2018, 05:37 PM

Its your record check. Mailed to you.
Give them a copy and show them the original of they ask.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:38 PM

1 it should only show criminal convictions . Which you should already be aware of.
2 that is at your employers discretion.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:52 PM

It's yours not theirs.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
You paid for it I assume and it is your copy....

Keep the original and give your employer a copy...
x2 agreed
Old 08-23-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
or

Thanks in advance.
if it has your name on the envelope i dont see why not.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
or

Thanks in advance.
One would think you already know what it will say?
Old 08-23-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
One would think you already know what it will say?
That's what I was thinkin
But curiosity I suppose...
Old 08-23-2018, 08:38 PM

You can read it first, it’s yours.

It has a watermark stamp on it to prevent copying or editing. A lot of employers accept them for 12 months after you receive it.

You have no worries
Old 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
1 it should only show criminal convictions . Which you should already be aware of.
2 that is at your employers discretion.
A criminal record check done by a municipal police force can include waaaaaaay more than convictions. The list is long and can include basically any police contact that the police deem is relevant. This includes outstanding charges, court orders, mental health apprehensions, alternative measures, and on and on...
Old 08-23-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef612 View Post
That's what I was thinkin
But curiosity I suppose...
I don't want to scare you, but many folks are surprised what can come up beyond the record. Google record searches specific to the police force doing the search and you can find a list of all the info that could pop up.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
A criminal record check done by a municipal police force can include waaaaaaay more than convictions. The list is long and can include basically any police contact that the police deem is relevant. This includes outstanding charges, court orders, mental health apprehensions, alternative measures, and on and on...
Rcmp website says only charges and convictions
Old 08-23-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Isn’t that a vulnerable persons check?
Old 08-24-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Isn’t that a vulnerable persons check?
A vulnerable sector search is the same as a regular search with the addition of being able to see any sealed records that would indicate risk to vulnerable folks, this can include violent and sexual offences that have received a record suspension or pardon.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Rcmp website says only charges and convictions
The RCMP database is just charges and convictions, but if you are in a city with a municipal police force the search is much more invasive.

http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Publ...on-checks.aspx
Old 08-24-2018, 07:48 AM

Mail should only be opened by the person it is addressed to.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Mail should only be opened by the person it is addressed to.
<—- This. The record is yours and you can share it with others but you can also just have them take note of it and not make copies of it should you wish. They can write themselves a note for your file about having seen it if you want to go that route, though people without a record generally would have no motivation to hide what is essentially a record of nothing.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:29 AM

Here is mine here. It clearly says convictions.

I think you are referring to vulnerable sector checks. They have become controversial, as it is up to the discretion (I am sure there is policy too) of the RCMP and your municipal police if they should release info they have on you. If you have been involved in something they investigated involving vulnerable people, they can include it on this check, even if there is not enough evidence to charge you.

What makes it controversial is, you don't have to be found guilty for it to impact you. This is where some are getting a big surprise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD5C410B-DC92-4354-BDCC-07918758E171.jpg (25.4 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by riden; 08-24-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:

I think you are referring to vulnerable sector checks. They have become controversial, as it is up to the discretion (I am sure there is policy too) of the RCMP and your municipal police if they should release info they have on you. If you have been involved in something they investigated involving vulnerable people, they can include it on this check, even if there is not enough evidence to charge you.

What makes it controversial is, you don't have to be found guilty for it to impact you. This is where some are getting a big surprise.
Check out the link I posted to above on CPS website. You are totally right that it is up to their discretion of the municiple police force to release what they think is relevent, but looking beyond convictions is not unique to vulnerable sector searches.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:

I think the confusion is that if you get it done through a municipal police force you get a CPIC done that includes all the info in the link, if you get it done by the RCMP it is just charges.Here in Calagary, you are typically asked for a CPIC, when I lived in a small town it was OK to get just an RCMP check.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:56 AM

I worked in a diamond mine they do a through background check in 3 parts RCMP, FBI and INTERPOL
I went to a place in Edmonton put my fingers on a scanner and photographed me for an electronic colonoscopy I think that's as through as you can get.

Results Comments
Clear Canadian Criminal Record Check
Based solely on the name(s) and date of birth provided and the criminal record information declared by the applicant, a search of the RCMP National Repository of Criminal Records did not identify any records with the name(s) and date of birth of the applicant.
Delays do exist between a conviction being rendered in court, and the details being accessible on the RCMP National Repository of Criminal Records. Not all offences are reported to the RCMP National Repository of Criminal Records.

I don't think international crimes are kept on the RCMP data base that why they did the FBI and INTERPOL checks
Old 08-24-2018, 10:34 AM

Just wondering do the RCMP and city police checks come up with the same information that the U.S border agents come up with. I have heard that the checks at the border come up with much more than people sometimes expect.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:48 AM

that is what i heard also. pretty scary
Old 08-24-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Just wondering do the RCMP and city police checks come up with the same information that the U.S border agents come up with. I have heard that the checks at the border come up with much more than people sometimes expect.
No expert, but during the Harper years Canada agreed to share info with the US, that was never shared before.

The US, does not recognize Canadian pardons. So they can deny entrance for crimes you're convicted of, that you were pardoned for.

As well, they don't care how long ago a crime occurred. A friend of mine (50's) went to the US many times in his life. After the US changed entrance policies and gained access to that information, he was denied entry. When he turned 19 he got loaded in a bar and got in trouble. US denies him entry, but a Canadian criminal record check turns out clean, because it is so long ago.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
No expert, but during the Harper years Canada agreed to share info with the US, that was never shared before.

The US, does not recognize Canadian pardons. So they can deny entrance for crimes you're convicted of, that you were pardoned for.

As well, they don't care how long ago a crime occurred. A friend of mine (50's) went to the US many times in his life. After the US changed entrance policies and gained access to that information, he was denied entry. When he turned 19 he got loaded in a bar and got in trouble. US denies him entry, but a Canadian criminal record check turns out clean, because it is so long ago.
Ya, I have heard all sorts of confusing stories about crossing the boarder. Would be interested to know the criteria they use and which databases they can access. I have heard that the standard is different depending on what port of entry you choose.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Ya, I have heard all sorts of confusing stories about crossing the boarder. Would be interested to know the criteria they use and which databases they can access. I have heard that the standard is different depending on what port of entry you choose.
Yes there's lot's of confusion I heard at one time if you didn't tell them about your record they couldn't access the records to check and if you did tell them you are screwed for life. I have a buddy in this category they asked he blabbed now he gets a US waiver every five years.
The border guards prefer it that way.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:28 PM

Your criminal record check is yours to keep. Your employer only needs a photocopy. At least that's the way it's been anytime I've ever needed one.