Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2018, 08:21 PM

Default Has whitefish fishing started?

I just started fishing since late this July, I went to Alberta beach and sylvan lake several times for whitefish but got nothing, I was told hot summer time they are hiding in deep so I failed. Then I turned to target carp and failed again, what a infrastrating summer! I am wondering if can go now for whitefish fishing since recent temperature is getting cool? I ‘d better wait for answer before driving back and forth in not short distant. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmlaohan View Post
I just started fishing since late this July, I went to Alberta beach and sylvan lake several times for whitefish but got nothing, I was told hot summer time they are hiding in deep so I failed. Then I turned to target carp and failed again, what a infrastrating summer! I am wondering if can go now for whitefish fishing since recent temperature is getting cool? I ‘d better wait for answer before driving back and forth in not short distant. Thanks.
I've only ever caught them in the winter months. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:24 AM

A bit early yet. Water temps need to cool down some more. To be on the safe side I would go in about 3 weeks. Usually the weather rocks in the 3rd weekend in Sept anyway. Otherwise you can hit Sylvan now and still to well.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:57 AM

How and where (depth, structure, lures) would you target them once the water starts to cool down in 3 weeks or so?
Old 08-30-2018, 09:35 AM

Default Has whitefish fishing started?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR_RAT View Post
How and where (depth, structure, lures) would you target them once the water starts to cool down in 3 weeks or so?

The best is to cruise the shoreline from a boat and see them visually and cast to them. Probably spook a lot but when you cast in front of one and it hasn’t noticed you yet...the take is fun to watch. I use a fly rod because the presentation will out fish spinning by far. You won’t need casting skills as this is visual and most lakes...,20 foot cast or lob will do it.

Otherwise, anchor up where you know they are in winter and bobber fish them. I set depth 1 foot from bottom. If there is no chop on the lake raise it and drop every couple of minutes, and, try slowly stripping back to the boat 6-8 inches at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk