Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-29-2018, 12:27 PM

Default What's my boat worth?

I'll be getting a new to me boat either this fall or early spring....just trying to figure out what my old one is worth.
It's an 86(pretty sure lol) crestliner tri-hull with a 70hp merc.
The boat itself is in great shape....no cracks leaks...floor is solid....transom is solid. The seats are shot (severely weathered and tearing) and some of the interior trim could use TLC. The motor is solid....starts and runs like a top....water pump done every second year....leg oil changed every year new merc prop last year....full tube up this year. The tilt/trim pump **** the bed 2 years ago.....it works but there is a crack in the valvebody and leaks oil like crazy so it's all in or all out.
Trailer is fully serviced every year and has new tires as of July this year.
I've owned it for 7 years and it's been a great boat but i need something that will keep the kids entertained as well as let me fish.
I was thinking to start around $2500?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_1092553114152486.jpg (80.3 KB, 310 views)
Old 08-29-2018, 01:56 PM

At first I did not think you were serious. What would you pay for 20 plus yr old tri hull with a motor that leaks from the tilt like a sieve, needs inside redone and you never mentioned any dock rash or scarring on the boat itself

Lots of boats like that on kijiji for the 1500 and below. Hate to blow some air out of your bubble but there are 1000 plus boast for sale in Ab. in that price range.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:14 PM

The trailer is likely worth more than the boat.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
At first I did not think you were serious. What would you pay for 20 plus yr old tri hull with a motor that leaks from the tilt like a sieve, needs inside redone and you never mentioned any dock rash or scarring on the boat itself

Lots of boats like that on kijiji for the 1500 and below. Hate to blow some air out of your bubble but there are 1000 plus boast for sale in Ab. in that price range.
Trust me I've been on kijiji for weeks.....and all the boats I've found compatible to mine are listed from $2000-3500. I know that doesn't mean they are selling for that....which is why I posted here.
The tilt piece is an easy fix....and parts are available on Ebay for about $300....but it really hasn't bothered me not having it so I've never fixed it. The worst part is the back to back seats.....the outside of the boat is very good condition.

Lol....buy a $1000 boat and trailer and let me know how much it costs you before you can run it reliably every weekend.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:31 PM

I think you’re in the right price range asking. I’ve also been looking on kijiji for quite some time now. $1500 gets you a tinny with a 25hp. No seats or windshield or steering wheel.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:49 PM

I can't comment on price, because I really don't know, but I can tell you this from personal experience, it won't sell for what you think it's worth lol.

The one suggestion I would offer you is to spend the ~$300 to fix the trim pump before you try to sell it. It will overshadow all the other good things you have going for you. It's VERY difficult to sell anything, especially for a good price, when it's not functioning properly or needs work. That pump leaking oil onto the ground or into the water will really turn off a potential buyer, as will the prospect of having to spend more time and money to fix it before they can use the boat. At worst it's a deal breaker, at best it gives the buyer a lot of leverage to negotiate.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I can't comment on price, because I really don't know, but I can tell you this from personal experience, it won't sell for what you think it's worth lol.

The one suggestion I would offer you is to spend the ~$300 to fix the trim pump before you try to sell it. It will overshadow all the other good things you have going for you. It's VERY difficult to sell anything, especially for a good price, when it's not functioning properly or needs work. That pump leaking oil onto the ground or into the water will really turn off a potential buyer, as will the prospect of having to spend more time and money to fix it before they can use the boat. At worst it's a deal breaker, at best it gives the buyer a lot of leverage to negotiate.
I likely will fix it.....and the pump is in the boat....system is empty and disconnected so there's nothing to leak....but when it does leak it's in the boat under the transom then drains out when you pull the plug. In no way does it hinder the use of the boat other than the motor is either all in or all out manually so loading on a shallow launch is a bit more work.

I definately know nothing is worth as much as most people think and really it's no big deal if it doesn't sell....but I'm not giving it away either. I'd either just keep it or sell the motor and trailer then fill the boat with tanerite and blow it up lol.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:22 PM

You can ask for whatever you like. The market will decide what it's worth.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-29-2018, 08:43 PM

Fix the tilt list for $2250 before May Long next year and you may get $2000
Old 08-30-2018, 01:51 AM

You’ll never sell it for a decent price till spring, and even then you’ll have to wait for the right buyer to come along. That means dealing with plenty of low-ballers and riff-raff.
Yet if you fixed the tilt/trim I’d say $2500 is fair. My buddy just sold a similar boat for just over $2000, but it took him months. From spring till July. Yet when the guy showed up, he just handed him the cash.
You just need to be patient, and don’t make plans around the sale, unless those plans can wait.
You know more than anyone what it’s worth, so ask what you think is fair and lower the price if your impatient.
Post it on those Facebook groups and on Kijiji in multiple cities around you. The right buyer will be willing to travel a bit.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:14 PM

Check out comparables on Kijiji - there are always lots available and a decent reference for what's available at this time of year. But yeah should be better in the spring.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:58 PM

Take lots of pics I would not use the one you have posted there..... looks like you have been keeping it in the toolies. Use all ten spots on kijiji, show the motor without the cowling, show the skag. It's is a good indicator if the motor's been run through the rocks. Offer to take guys for a test drive. that kind of thing.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:59 AM

ur boat is worth what someone will give u for it....no more...no less. What other people post on kijiji is irrelevant. Someone is entitled to ask whatever they want....don't mean it's worth it.....its worth what someone will pay u for it