Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-15-2022, 09:38 AM

Default Nocturnal Buck problems

Hey everyone, this is my first year bow hunting and have a couple questions for some of the more experienced guys and galls. I have a quarter section property (160 or so acres) that I’ve been planning to bow hunt, I have 2 cameras up at the moment and have a couple bucks, one shooter consistently on camera but always between midnight and 5am, well before or after hunting light. Unfortunately the property is all crown land to the south so we see a lot of tresspassers on quads and dirt bikes that ignore the private property signs and I’m afraid that’s what’s causing this nocturnal habit. I’m just wondering if anyone had any tips to try and break the habit or how to hunt the property and hoepfully catch a deer walking. It’s almost entirely treed with a few small cut lines sectioning it off and some agricultural fields bordering the property on the north if that helps. I’ll try attaching a picture of the buck in question and see what your opinions are about wether it’s a shooter or wait and pray he survives haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FF1E4FE6-6858-433B-9F62-7CE57F2C9FE3.jpeg (58.1 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpeg 48C59D30-7FD6-45B0-89EC-01865F8A7535.jpeg (58.8 KB, 301 views)
Old 09-15-2022, 09:56 AM

Though question.He may change his habits when the rut starts to kick in. Its probably his only vulnerable period. Good luck he looks like a nice deer.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Though question.He may change his habits when the rut starts to kick in. Its probably his only vulnerable period. Good luck he looks like a nice deer.
My thoughts as well. Most of the big whitetails I’ve seen, have been in the rut. Their more likely to slip up and be seen during daylight when their thinking about the does.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:31 AM

There really is no such thing as a Nocturnal deer, you are catching images of him while he is traveling. You will need to figure out where he beds and subsequently feeds and set up in the staging area between..

Many mature deer "stage" before entering the feeding areas at last light, they allow the others to feed before walking out. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
There really is no such thing as a Nocturnal deer, you are catching images of him while he is traveling. You will need to figure out where he beds and subsequently feeds and set up in the staging area between..

Many mature deer "stage" before entering the feeding areas at last light, they allow the others to feed before walking out. Good luck.
Okay I will try that. Both my cameras are in spots along a small cut with some very heavy rubs and scrapes. I’ll do some more venturing of the property to see if I can’t find where they are bedding. I would assume they would be feeding in the fields to the north so I’ll use that to my advantage
Old 09-15-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot82 View Post
Okay I will try that. Both my cameras are in spots along a small cut with some very heavy rubs and scrapes. I’ll do some more venturing of the property to see if I can’t find where they are bedding. I would assume they would be feeding in the fields to the north so I’ll use that to my advantage
My advise would be get behind some glass in the evenings and determine where he is feeding... Once you have established this, walk in on the game trail and determine where he is staging, typically small area with sign on fringe of feeding area. Place a camera or two here and pattern accordingly.

Stay out of his bedding area as if you disturb him the game is usually over.