Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-19-2022, 10:47 PM

Default Trapper Log Books

It's getting close to the Rendevousz. I'm looking forward to an in person gathering again. Hope to see a lot of you trappers and family there.

If you're on a RFMA and you haven't submitted a logbook I'd like to encourage you to do so. These logbooks have proven to be a valuable tool for collecting furbearer data. Robert Anderson from ACA did a presentation on what they've been able to extract from them so far and I was impressed.

There are 1500+ RFMA's in this province and we don't even have the 200 logbooks submissions from last season that we really need to keep a good baseline. It's a pretty simple way for trappers to show their support to the trapping industry by taking 15 minutes and completing the Logbook. You can do it online by going to the ATA website.

The deadline for submission has been extended to the weekend of the rendezvous, July 1. And there will be a draw for prices for those who have submitted theirs. One of which is a weekend at our Lodge, and that's priceless! sheepcreekcabin.net

Come on folks lets help ourselves out, and get those logbooks submissions in.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:28 AM

It doesent take very long to fill out an no one other than the guys an gals at the Alberta conservation association sees your info if that’s the hold up for some. It’s giving us Trappers credibility as stewards of the land an the person who has the most knowledge of the area. Wouldn’t it be nice to see government consult Trappers when the require info as a valuable asset. I have filled the log books out every year since they had the pilot project.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:23 PM
Banned

...."I'm from the Gov't and I am here to help you"
Old 05-29-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
...."I'm from the Gov't and I am here to help you"
“I’m from the government….and I can take your trapline if you don’t prove that you are relevant and add value to the landscape”
Old 05-29-2022, 09:11 AM

Something like this should be mandatory I find way too many Hunters using Trappers cabins as hunting shacks in the fall .

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2022, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Something like this should be mandatory I find way too many Hunters using Trappers cabins as hunting shacks in the fall .

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Are you referring to the "bribe" that is being offered to those who fill out this book. Interesting to know how this "Lodge" and others like it were acquired, in spite of regs...
Old 05-29-2022, 02:33 PM

What about my annual fur harvest report? Is it missing details that the log would capture?
Old 05-29-2022, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
What about my annual fur harvest report? Is it missing details that the log would capture?
That info is available to all who obtain their annual licence and also from your action sales, if required..
I might add, if this is better than sliced bread...why are there less than 200 books in from the 1500 RFMA's ...Maybe they see it as I do but don't like to say
ShiZ, even with a mouthful, for fear of being singled out..

Hunters using cabins ..Next it will be that trappers cannot hunt or carry a rifle when on the line....watch what you say or it will bite you on the azz...It's already happening but some can't see the trees from the forest..

Last edited by sourdough doug; 05-29-2022 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:46 PM

Some things never change, but you sure do put the sour in Doug, no doubt. You're well named.

The log books capture more than harvest records. A trapper can record what ever information they choose. But there is also targeted inquiries every year. This year they were looking for information on Spruce Grouse distribution as reported by us, trappers.

Participate or not, your choice for now.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
“I’m from the government….and I can take your trapline if you don’t prove that you are relevant and add value to the landscape”
There it is! If you don’t fill out your log books the government will take your trapline!

I swear to gawd, some of you ATA peeps are absolutely nutz.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:35 PM

And once again Dave rises to the occasion to bash the ATA when ever possible...while still using their services when ever it suits him. Hypocrite.
Did you train your incontinent dog yet?
Old 06-01-2022, 06:28 AM

Dave hasn't had a good ATA rant for awhile.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:18 PM
Banned

And I see that BB is calling those that are not of HIS opinion, names again..I would have thought that you might have grown out of that by now..But speaking of names, there are still those out there ,that refer to you as
Bobble Head Brian.. can't imagine why...
....If I really cared, I might get an explanation but I have seen you in operation and can figure that myself, a carry over from a previous regime.
.......over and out
Old 06-01-2022, 08:41 PM

Default Log Books

As a trapper I believe we trappers can contribute very important data to this ongoing study. Enforcement and biologist have been cut back by provincial budget slashing. I don’t envision it getting any better in the future. We as trappers should do our part and take part in this on going study. Lead by example, instead of criticizing fellow trappers.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:28 PM

Despite the attempted derail by the D & D gang ( dumb and dumber?) I encourage all real trappers to consider completing their logbooks.

And I hope to see you all at the rendezvous.
Old 06-02-2022, 02:08 PM
AO Sponsor

Logbooks could be a good thing if we properly participate. My understanding is that this is breaking new ground. People in government are looking upon the registered trappers as being a knowledgeable and reliable source of data collection.

This is a giant step forward for the registered trappers of the province, potentially beyond if we step up to the task and earn this given trust/respect.

My perception of govt’s previous opinion of trappers from yesteryear was that we were not perceived as a valued/respected source of information as we lacked degrees and other such urban calibre credentials, so to me, this new desire of govt to work with registered trappers in this capacity and this new found level of respect is something that we should not take lightly, discard or spit out.

It’s potentially a brand new day for the registered trappers, if things work out, it is possible that registered trappers are hired by govt in part or as a whole for such data collection in the future, thus unwise to urinate upon their efforts and extended grace.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:29 AM

The ATA should mail your writing to all RFMA holders Marty, very well said. Mabe one day trappers will get paid for there knowledge of the land an animals that reside. I know there has been allot of discussion on future projects that would compensate trappers for there time an knowledge.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:16 AM

I agree, Marty has made very good case for log books and future of RFMA's in eyes of the Guberment. Trappers could be like 'Special Constables' to Biologists, much like those with RCMP. It would be much cheaper than having high paid biologist sitting on his ass infront of computer in warm office waiting for weather to warm up.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:59 PM

Reading through this thread , you boys need to learn to show a bit of respect to one another regardless of who you are and or who you think you are. Keep the personal attacks and name calling out of it or *more* vacations will follow.

Last edited by tirebob; 06-03-2022 at 03:24 PM. Reason: TB added *more*
Old 06-04-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Reading through this thread , you boys need to learn to show a bit of respect to one another regardless of who you are and or who you think you are. Keep the personal attacks and name calling out of it or *more* vacations will follow.
Maybe do something about the two people who derail and destroy every thread that has to do with the ATA??
Old 06-04-2022, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappingman View Post
Maybe do something about the two people who derail and destroy every thread that has to do with the ATA??
Maybe report posts so we can evaluate and deal with them? You do realize the mods actually have real lives, right, we don't just spend 24 hours a day reading every post? If you have an issue, report it. And maybe don't be all indignant with the mods for not doing as good a job as you would.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 06-04-2022 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 05:15 PM

I know many trappers that are hesitant to report via logbook based on a number of reasons.

I don’t think it’s important to share that information here, but needless to say many logbooks will not be filed based on a varied number of reasons.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
I know many trappers that are hesitant to report via logbook based on a number of reasons.

I don’t think it’s important to share that information here, but needless to say many logbooks will not be filed based on a varied number of reasons.
Number of reasons? Why not explained an inform everyone why it’s good practise to keep basic info to yourself, am I missing something? Varied numbered of reasons? If they are good reasons Mabe this project should be scrapped, but keeping it to yourself makes it look like your hiding something.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
Number of reasons? Why not explained an inform everyone why it’s good practise to keep basic info to yourself, am I missing something? Varied numbered of reasons? If they are good reasons Mabe this project should be scrapped, but keeping it to yourself makes it look like your hiding something.
Well let’s look at history, the government:
-Wanted grizzly hunt gone, fake study, grizzly hunt gone
-Wanted unlimited resource access, fish die because of culverts and sedimentation, blame anglers and close fishing
-wanted Y2Y vision, pretend public engagement, made parks despite public outcry
-wanted Indian votes, Indians want white people not to hunt, Buffalo get made “subject animal”
-insurance companies want less deer, mountain lion quotas stay the almost the same despite population explosion
-mandatory hunter harvest reports, or you don’t get to hunt next year

Our government has been mismanaging wildlife and blaming hunters, anglers and trappers for decades. Why WOULD anyone trust them??

And inevitably someone asks well what do we do to fix it…look at that list and start. Earn the trust back by action not words.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:46 AM

My logbook is done. I don't see what others have to gain by not filling one out.
But freedom of choice is most important.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:51 AM

The ATA does not forward logbooks to the government. The log books go to our partners at ACA. The ACA bio's consolidate the information and then forward the data to the government. All trapper information is kept confidential and the government doesn't know who has submitted a log book. .

At the AGM Robert Anderson from ACA told us how the log books helped trappers to maintain our marten harvest. Government was concerned about the declining marten harvest and was considering a quota. Through the log books the ATA could demonstrate the decline in harvest was due to trapper effort not population decline. The log books also showed the harvest was balanced between males and females and juveniles and adults.

As part of the ATA Regulations committee we met with Dave Kay from the government about eliminating quotas on some species ( Lynx, fisher, otter ) and were told that the best avenue to achieve that is through log book submissions. Because the gov. isn't doing any fur bearer research they have no data to support removal of quotas. However they value the log book data we supply and can see that as a tool to help manage our fur resource.

The log books are a tool we trappers can use to make sure fur management in Alberta isn't based on government bio's opinions. Our data is professionally collated by ACA bio's and stands up to scrutiny. It is the only effective tool we have at present to counter bad fur bearer management decisions.

Based on all of the above facts I can see no reason for any active trapper to oppose the use of log books. Unless of course you're sitting on a RFMA that you haven't trapped for years and are afraid to be outed?

The real threat to our industry are those who no longer trap but insist on retaining their lines. And don't even care enough to bring on a junior partner. It's a shame as we have enough interested trappers to turn every RFMA into an active trapline.

* On an earlier post I crossed a line by insulting two members on the forum. For this I apologize. In a perfect world I'd have an opportunity to tell them to their face what I think about their constant attacks on the ATA. But I recognize this forum is not the place for that. I'll keep my comments professional moving forward.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:59 PM

Well worded Brian. I see this as a big plus going forward. Analytics are king right now, and log books make stats easy to mine, spreadsheets easy to build; city folk like easy. They don't take log to fill out, and now looking back I further understand their purpose.

Spruce
Old 10-28-2022, 09:07 AM

As a government inspector for the meat industry, I can totally support the logbooks as with government details are the most important to have change made, no details provided then government will create their own scenarios on what they can determine to be in everyone's best interest. Although I don't presently own a RFMA, trap private property currently, I deal with documentation on a daily basis, and it is how we make determinations. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:44 AM

Default Log books

When fur prices are low and trappers harvests are low, information gathered from the log books will show that this industry is not viable. This with pressure from environmental groups could help shut down trapping permanently. I was third generation commercial fisherman here in Alberta and govt bios with other interest groups shut us down. There is no commercial fishing in Alberta now.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:22 AM

Default Fur industry

Commercial fishing is a food based industry, was in Alberta and still is worldwide. Trapping-fur is dependent on the whims of the fashion industry.
Food trumps fashion any day. Hungry people don`t give a rats behind about fashion. Alberta commercial fishing shut down 20+years ago, trappers are lucky to still be here.