Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Those are nice looking yaks!
Like the way you got a yak specific trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still need to test them out but these kayaks should be more stable than my old ones and even more capable in rougher conditions. They will be nice for wiring as there is grommets so you can run through the haul without drilling. There is also a protective panel underneath to protect and mount a transducer. It can be raised and lowered but if you hit something by accident the transducer plate will push into the haul protecting from damage. Lots of mounting options and storage but I will be adding a crate too. The chair has multi height positioning and lumbar support so it should be more comfortable on long days too. It’s pretty common for us to do 12hr plus days out fishing so I am looking forward to this

Mine is the true camo and it may just see some duck hunting too

The Hobie outback definitely comes with some perks

The trailer is a new addition too. I was using a bed extender and stacking our old kayaks but my wife found it tough if she was sore from work. These are a little heavier than our old ones so she wanted a trailer. It will also be nice for out of province trips when we are packing extra gear. I will still use the bed extender when I go solo close to home though because it is still nice and simple

I will get them out till next weekend but looking forward to it
Old 05-23-2023, 11:54 AM

I'm curious what techniques you guys are using when fishing from a yak? I have a catch 120, and I haven't quite dialed in the technique yet.

Mine has built in rod holders (4) but they are all situated behind me. They are great for transport but trolling is not an option, because I can't really watch the rod tips.

I have 4" of scotty track on each side, that is where I mount my striker 4 and sometimes a scotty rod holder so I can have my rod in front of me. That puts the gear, around where my feet are, but that makes paddling a little awkward as the paddle either clips the fish finder, or can sometimes catch the line.

Are you guys just going to your spot and drifting bottom bouncers, or simply jigging off the side of your kayaks?

I'm not going to stand up in my kayak, I am not there skill/balance wise. Just looking for some ideas.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I'm curious what techniques you guys are using when fishing from a yak? I have a catch 120, and I haven't quite dialed in the technique yet.

Mine has built in rod holders (4) but they are all situated behind me. They are great for transport but trolling is not an option, because I can't really watch the rod tips.

I have 4" of scotty track on each side, that is where I mount my striker 4 and sometimes a scotty rod holder so I can have my rod in front of me. That puts the gear, around where my feet are, but that makes paddling a little awkward as the paddle either clips the fish finder, or can sometimes catch the line.

Are you guys just going to your spot and drifting bottom bouncers, or simply jigging off the side of your kayaks?

I'm not going to stand up in my kayak, I am not there skill/balance wise. Just looking for some ideas.
Everything you can do from a big boat you can do with a yak. I run down rigger, fly fish, jig and troll spinner rigs. I don't stand up bit that's personal preference. Lots of guys do.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2023, 01:33 PM

Should clarify. I have a peddle drive and considerably more rail space than you have. It makes a big difference when you have to have a paddle in your hand.

Old 05-23-2023, 01:46 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

You can always use one or two of these.

Scotty Gear Head Mount Extender just google it.
This will get your rod/fish finder out of the way of your paddle.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-23-2023, 02:43 PM

Well I’m excited! I have a fish ski boat but didn’t like the hassle of unloading and loading myself. So I bought a Pelican Catch 110. Was going to go with the Catch 100 but like the Catch 110 for the floor plan. Needed some room in the front for my fishing buddy. Now I need this wind to bugger off.

Old 05-23-2023, 07:34 PM

Quote:

I do fish just like I would from a boat or canoe no different but I also run stable pedal drive fishing kayaks with more options.

Something simple you could do for gear is bungee in milk crate behind your seat in the tank well. Basic old school kayak fishing trick that is well used by many
Old 05-23-2023, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I do fish just like I would from a boat or canoe no different but I also run stable pedal drive fishing kayaks with more options.

Something simple you could do for gear is bungee in milk crate behind your seat in the tank well. Basic old school kayak fishing trick that is well used by many
Good idea. One option on the milk crate is the Rigid Tool Crate available from Home Depot. I zip tied a rod holder to it. Added some retractable leashes and criss crossed some shock cord over the top. All you need is a drill, zip ties and the shock cord.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:11 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probar View Post
Well I’m excited! I have a fish ski boat but didn’t like the hassle of unloading and loading myself. So I bought a Pelican Catch 110. Was going to go with the Catch 100 but like the Catch 110 for the floor plan. Needed some room in the front for my fishing buddy. Now I need this wind to bugger off.

Ok you have the absolute best add on to a kayak anyone can have

Old 05-27-2023, 05:46 PM

Well we got out today and made the most of an odd ball wind.
Never could make it’s mind out as we were continuously searching for the less windy side of the lake so yup we got a work out!
Managed to get on some beauty walleye and a ton of pike which kinda got in the way. Can’t complain as we we were catching.
Now over the years I have snagged a lot of crap of the bottom of lakes but a freaking lawn chair in my walleye hole!!! What the heck?

Ahhh supper!!!

Old 05-31-2023, 08:10 AM

Question

Well anyone been out in their yaks?
Heading out today to see what the lakers are doing, gonna be limited in travel as the forecast has thunderstorms so ain’t gonna chance a long paddle

Old 05-31-2023, 03:14 PM

Well Coiloil37 sent me some lures from down under. Stuff he uses and thought I should give them a whirl on lakers here.
Well I had many chasers but no takers today from 140-30 fow.
Was a blast and I was to bloody determined to stay the course but the usual got to stuff never got touched.
It was neat to use lures usually used on different species in salt water and to see what the reaction would be on Cold Lake.
Great day on the yak.

I might put a shinner/minnow on next time just to see if that drives them to commit but then again could have been the day too as we all had wicked days then the next day they are turned off.

Old 06-04-2023, 04:22 PM

Another yak afternoon out on Cold Lake.
Dead calm, rain, wind and sunshine was the mix but the temperature was 20 degrees and the fish were cooperating so no complaints.
30 fow water for lakers trolling a red and white Len Thompson no2 at about 1.5 ish mph and then use the same spoon in shallower for pike.

A few pics of our outing. Was a blast!

Old 06-06-2023, 06:10 AM

Thumbs up

Smoky you get those Cadillac yaks out yet?

Kinda wanting to see a 40” pike pic with the new yak

With the weather getting warmer should see more yak action out there.

Old 06-06-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Smoky you get those Cadillac yaks out yet?

Kinda wanting to see a 40” pike pic with the new yak

With the weather getting warmer should see more yak action out there.
Just got off nights yesterday so I am a little slow going but working on coffee and then going out lol

Between my wife feeling sore and I am still half zombie we are going to just hit isle or Wab. Not expecting any big girls but I have been known to stumble into the odd one when I don’t expect it

If the wife feels better tomorrow we may venture somewhere farther tomorrow

Let’s cross my fingers for a 36” today and be happy if I can find some 30”s lol
Old 06-06-2023, 06:05 PM

Just to be a sport here is a few pics from a ok day on the water. Nothing big just a bunch of 24-28inch pike only hooked on decent pike over 30” but it tossed the hook.

Went to isles and unfortunately the algae is already getting bad

Tested out my new custom rod matched with an Abu toro beast and brought a handful of my new 8inch version of a dive & rise

Have not set the kayaks up completely but here is the basics on my wife and my set up minus crate and electronics

And for those who are curious about stability here is my clumsy wife standing in the kayak fishing. We often stand in our kayaks if we staying in a spot for a bit but when covering ground or drifting where we are adjusting position lots it’s easier to sit. When you get into the more expensive fishing kayaks they are very stable

And some random meh pike

Kayaks worked great, new custom rod is perfect for my style of fishing so is the reel, and pike definitely approved of the new 8inch dive and rise

Most importantly I caught 9 more pike than the wife lol

Old 06-06-2023, 07:19 PM

Looks like a great time out on the water with the new yaks!
Those gators are hitting lures half their size greedy buggers just can’t help themselves.

Old 06-06-2023, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Looks like a great time out on the water with the new yaks!
Those gators are hitting lures half their size greedy buggers just can’t help themselves.

It was better then work without a doubt

It’s not very often I find my lure is too big for pike lol
Old 06-08-2023, 06:47 AM

Funny how we can talk our wife’s into going first and we takes pics expecting a show!!!!

I got mine to stand up too but her yak is wider and more stable.

Ohhhh I had the phone out to capture the show but nothing happened.

Old 06-08-2023, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Funny how we can talk our wife’s into going first and we takes pics expecting a show!!!!

I got mine to stand up too but her yak is wider and more stable.

Ohhhh I had the phone out to capture the show but nothing happened.

Not here I am the brave one

I was walking around on mine even standing in the tank well behind the seat to test things out lol

It’s way less of a feat when I do it because I am agile and a little crazy. My wife is clumsy and a bit of a chicken because she is not a strong swimmer.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Just got off nights yesterday so I am a little slow going but working on coffee and then going out lol

Between my wife feeling sore and I am still half zombie we are going to just hit isle or Wab. Not expecting any big girls but I have been known to stumble into the odd one when I don’t expect it

If the wife feels better tomorrow we may venture somewhere farther tomorrow

Let’s cross my fingers for a 36” today and be happy if I can find some 30”s lol
those are some really nice kayaks you have!
looks like you had a nice day on the water as well.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-08-2023, 09:48 AM

Master craft maximum impact case

I really like my new yakattack cellblok. Dakota lithium is right inside the block. So now I can move my fish finder from vessel to vessel without having to do any kind of installation or hole drilling. I highly recommend this if you have more then one kayak/canoe ect

Respect wildlife
Old 06-08-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post

I really like my new yakattack cellblok. Dakota lithium is right inside the block. So now I can move my fish finder from vessel to vessel without having to do any kind of installation or hole drilling. I highly recommend this if you have more then one kayak/canoe ect

I was very tempted to go that route but went with the universal plate. I won’t need to drill with the outback but that cellblok just looks convenient

How long have you been running the cellblok?
Old 06-08-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Not here I am the brave one

I was walking around on mine even standing in the tank well behind the seat to test things out lol

It’s way less of a feat when I do it because I am agile and a little crazy. My wife is clumsy and a bit of a chicken because she is not a strong swimmer.

Pics or it never happened

Yeah seen vids on these yaks and they are stable.

Old 06-08-2023, 02:59 PM

Default 2023 Kayak Thread

Quote:
I was very tempted to go that route but went with the universal plate. I won’t need to drill with the outback but that cellblok just looks convenient

How long have you been running the cellblok?

Still very knew to me. So far i've only used it two trips so far. not much to complain about. The only thing I would complain about is the plastic gear track knobs used to tighten the entire unit down. its all plastic threading and i'm just afraid they will strip. The battery and fish finder is alot of wait for a little plastic threading. haven't heard of anyone losing or dropping the fish finder in the water due to this reason. Some metal wingnuts will probably make me feel better.

Respect wildlife
Old 06-08-2023, 05:23 PM

Well I finally got around to putting my kayak crate together. One of the reasons I bought this is I plan to build an insert for hanging my big pike lures that I plan to fish with each day. Basically it will make it so each bait hangs separate keeping them from tangling and easily accessible

Old 06-08-2023, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Still very knew to me. So far i've only used it two trips so far. not much to complain about. The only thing I would complain about is the plastic gear track knobs used to tighten the entire unit down. its all plastic threading and i'm just afraid they will strip. The battery and fish finder is alot of wait for a little plastic threading. haven't heard of anyone losing or dropping the fish finder in the water due to this reason. Some metal wingnuts will probably make me feel better.
Your concern is the reason I didn’t jump on one myself. I like the idea but the weight of the battery prying on the connect concerned me. I have a metal gear track in my rails but still don’t know

You will have to let me know how you like it after a season of use
Old 06-09-2023, 06:52 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:

Wow that is a neat, clean easy set up you have there.

Old 06-10-2023, 08:40 PM

All the Amazon gear came in. Most importantly the cleat to put the leash on the pointador. Morning/mid afternoon fishing. Later afternoon sighting the new bow in. Feels like summer

Old 06-11-2023, 07:17 AM

You are one LUCKY fella

Every yak should come with a beverage holder or two.