Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2023, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
This is a picture from a friend that I got earlier today about 4 miles East of our hunting camp, which is located SE of Peace River. Info I got is that it is moving in a NW direction. But winds have been very erratic in that area. So things may turn around quickly.

Having said that, many farms in the area suffered losses, so our little hunting camp worries are really nothing compared to these. Emergency crews are concentrating on saving living quarters, so many homes saved. Not so good for outbuildings/equipment unfortunately...

Finally got a bit of rain around my place, and other than the Nordegg area West of here, no out of control fires within the immediate area...so we are hoping for the best.

And to all others that may be affected by these wildfires, hope all turns out well for you...

This one had gotten out of hand rather quickly. But wind was pretty bad yesterday and a good part of the day today. I believe there is evacuation in place basically just southeast of St Isidore and all the way to Reno, and east from there, something like this (St Isidore circled in blue):

It is moving northwest, with the wind, that’d be towards St Isidore and Peace River. The wind is supposed to change to northwest on Monday, which is a bit too long compared to the way things have been evolving. Lots of almost bare farmland on the way in between the fire and towns though. It may also go through the patch too or is maybe already there, not sure.

View from Nampa:

And a few km closer, just west of Reno:

Harmon Valley, a very nice area, is likely going to be gone

Another fire north of Three Creeks appears to be picking up speed as well. I know this is dumb to mention, given the situation, but I have been planning for a few weeks now to head to the 520 where I was hunting moose to pick up a game camera I left there last November. Something had always come up and I never got to get out. Tomorrow was supposed to be the day. Looks like there may be no need now.

Hope your brother, HH, is ok and so is everyone else. It is pretty bad out there in many places.
Old 05-07-2023, 05:12 AM

I'm up in Stony Plain at the kids for the weekend, we had a little rain here overnight but not much, supposed to get more tomorrow, we really need a 3 or 4 day soaker province wide, I know back at home in Lloyd it's tinder dry also.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-07-2023, 12:24 PM
Banned

Arrow

As a Buddy pointed out on another forum, the map I posted above is dated.

These are the better ones he suggested:

https://wildfiresituation.nrs.gov.bc.ca/map

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov...115.9,55.1,10z

https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

Cheers
Old 05-07-2023, 02:29 PM

Got pretty close and scary looking. Sounds like it's about the same currently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230506_010955.jpg (18.6 KB, 121 views)

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-07-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
This one had gotten out of hand rather quickly. But wind was pretty bad yesterday and a good part of the day today. I believe there is evacuation in place basically just southeast of St Isidore and all the way to Reno, and east from there, something like this (St Isidore circled in blue):

It is moving northwest, with the wind, that’d be towards St Isidore and Peace River. The wind is supposed to change to northwest on Monday, which is a bit too long compared to the way things have been evolving. Lots of almost bare farmland on the way in between the fire and towns though. It may also go through the patch too or is maybe already there, not sure.

View from Nampa:

And a few km closer, just west of Reno:

Harmon Valley, a very nice area, is likely going to be gone
Overheard from a member of the local FD, who spent 19 hours straight at this fire, that this one is now under control.

It has also been raining here for the past couple of hours. Light rain, but every little bit helps.
Old 05-07-2023, 04:36 PM

Hey Jungleboy, just wondering how your cabin made out at lessard lake? Hopefully it didn’t hit your location.
Old 05-07-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
Hey Jungleboy, just wondering how your cabin made out at lessard lake? Hopefully it didn’t hit your location.
Last I heard we escaped the fire but apparently 22 others in the area did not and 4 were total loss. The area is still closed off so we can’t go in there. I heard they got some rain there today as well.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Overheard from a member of the local FD, who spent 19 hours straight at this fire, that this one is now under control.

It has also been raining here for the past couple of hours. Light rain, but every little bit helps.
Yeah.

Been in touch with a friend that has been watching this one real close. Appears as though our hunting camp will be OK. Missed the NW fire line by about 3 miles.

But...that is a recreational thing, and I feel horrible for some of the locals that lost everything.

Unfortunately, a few landowners (one I knew personally in his 80s) has lost everything East on the Reno road by the power line.

I heard there has been some rain over there.

Between 1530/1800 hrs here at my place, nothing but small hail and hard rain. Wish most would go their way...Mother nature dictates everything doesn't she...
Old 05-08-2023, 09:02 AM

Default Smokers

We can thank the Smokers that pitch their butts out the car windows for most of these Alberta fires. A friend of mine and his wife walk 2 miles along Strathcona County road each day. They pick up All the garbage chucked out the windows. He estimated 200 butts in ditch, that is " 100 butts per mile ". No wonder homes and farms are burning in Alberta foothills!
Old 05-08-2023, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
We can thank the Smokers that pitch their butts out the car windows for most of these Alberta fires. A friend of mine and his wife walk 2 miles along Strathcona County road each day. They pick up All the garbage chucked out the windows. He estimated 200 butts in ditch, that is " 100 butts per mile ". No wonder homes and farms are burning in Alberta foothills!
I disagree to a certain point. I remember a bus trip in Cuba, periodically we'd pass a burnt patch in the ditch. Cubans still like to smoke, no doubt about that cause , but I believe other carelessness like camp fires, brush piles and burning barrels are relevant. Had a significant fire across the road from me last April, the cause was a brush pile that had supposedly burned out after being started in January. Muskeg can keep a fire smoldering for years. Surprising to me is how many fires are started by trains just going down the track.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-08-2023, 09:27 AM

Grizz, sorry disagree, We have No! lightning now which normally cause majority of fires. Most responsible people will not use burn barrels, camp fires etc when 108 fires burning in province. 100 cigarette butts per mile out the window on Alberta roads is alot of ignition sources. I rest my case.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:
No doubt it’s part of the issue but everything from farm equipment, heavy equipment, ATVs, lighting, campfire, welding, grinding, lighting, vehicle accidents and many other reasons play a roll

I know a portion of the fires are from the non smoking related issues I listed. Last year I know one of the big fires was a farmer welding that caused it

Everyone just needs to use common sense and pay attention to what we do under dry conditions. It’s far from a smoker only issue
Old 05-08-2023, 11:29 AM

This is a facebook post that was forwarded to me

Quote:
The Crackpot Farmer
17h · ago

In regards to Alberta being ablaze and the tinfoil hats:

It is not unusual to have fires in Alberta this time of year. There are forests, grassland, desert, and it's not unusual to be dry. I live here, fire is real.

However, what is unusual is the severity of the fires, the speed at which they started, their location, and the media's response to it.

Alberta is currently an interesting place with a few high-level activities taking shape.

We have a crucial provincial election coming up. One which the world is watching. See, our current premier is giving the middle finger (so to speak) to Ottawa and the rest of the global elites. She is saying heck no to a majority of their plans, and she has CONSIDERABLE support in this province and across the globe.

She isn't without fault, but neither am I and you still read my stuff. Moving on.

All of Canada is trying to get back up on its feet after years (decades) of incompetent leadership and Alberta is often the leader and the financer for this operation. Cripple Alberta and you cripple the country, really.

This brings us to the fires. The fires are near major oil and gas fields and projects. They are devastating the livelihoods and lives of those employed in such industry. The oil and gas industry of course is a huge part of Alberta's economy. Without oil a LOT of things don't move.

One can only imagine that climate change must be the cause and that necessitates the shut down of our petroleum industry, as has been the plan for quite some time, but it has proven to be fantastically resilient and somewhat crucial. Who knew!?

The number of people misplaced shortly before an election means that a good portion of our conservative population will probably end up voting electronically (don't get me started on how fast THAT came about) and we all know how air tight any voting system is to begin with.

My next point is the media. I only learned about the fires on THURSDAY! And that was from someone commenting about it on my page! There has been precious little coverage by the media and I have seen hardly any personal stories on Facebook, and I know a number of people in the affected areas.

This means that a large portion of our province and country are not aware of the situation, and cannot provide support, either tangible or otherwise. We all know that ground-up support is much faster and more effective than top down support, so getting word from one individual to another as fast as possible is critical to saving lives, property, and infrastructure.

This brings me to the tinfoil hat crowd, of which I am a relatively new member. Unfortunately, the last few years have shown me that nothing is beneath the government when it comes to getting their way.

Murder, lies, corruption, disregard for their own laws, ignoring rights, destroying property, censorship, hiding and/or forging evidence and all other manner of tyrannical behavior are every day occurrences with the modern ruler.

The enemy comes to kill, and destroy, and I would say our leaders fall under that category more often than not.

So, if you think that the fires where purely accidental, and the lack of coverage, electronic voting, and the inevitable climate change crap that WILL follow is all just a coincidence, I prithee to look at the last 3 years and ask yourself, what wouldn't "they" do to get their way?

I think you'll find this is all right up their alley.
Old 05-08-2023, 12:15 PM

Edson and entwhistle evacuations are over. Yellowhead will be open today Hopefully in the next few days crews can make some progress on the out of control fires.
Old 05-08-2023, 12:48 PM

Smith has asked for federal help with fires. Military and fire fighters. Federal has obviously agreed and they have started on it today. Good on her for this.
Old 05-08-2023, 03:28 PM

Heavy rain mixed with hail and lightning in Spruce Grove. We could dispense with the hail and lightning part of it. Still welcome to see.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm....

I was a Wildfire Investigator and for cigarettes to start a fire, it has to be the absolute perfect conditions to do so.

Do they start them? Yep, however not the way you have over exaggerated it. With all due respect.

Many other factors will easily start wildfires, and as such, hopefully, the appropriate agencies will investigate, and hopefully will share the true information...
Old 05-08-2023, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Hmmmm....

I was a Wildfire Investigator and for cigarettes to start a fire, it has to be the absolute perfect conditions to do so.

Do they start them? Yep, however not the way you have over exaggerated it. With all due respect.

Many other factors will easily start wildfires, and as such, hopefully, the appropriate agencies will investigate, and hopefully will share the true information...
Yes, wasn't there a study by the state of california that under those perfect conditions of low humidity, extremely dry forest duff, dry grass and leaves and wind it took over 1000 lit cigarette butts to actually start a fire. That said I'm sure there are 100's of thousands of butts thrown out of vehicles daily in Alberta but the vast majority of them are not thrown out in the bush but on city streets and highways, easily extingished should they ever start a fire. An example that the chances of butts starting fires is extremely low, actually one one of the lowest causes of fires, is Mr. Grey Wolf's friend who apparently finds hundreds of butts in the ditch yet that ditch never seems to catch fire.

That said make sure your butts are extinguished before disposing of them.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:21 PM

About 20 years ago a car full of young peoplekind passed me at high speed and about 200 yards further up there was a flash out of a side window, then about a quarter mile further up another flash. My observation was that they were firing a flare pistol into the grass in the ditch. I didn't get a plate number but I called the police. When I passed by in a few days there were burned patches.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:26 PM

About 20 years ago, a group of my friends were going camping. About 3 hour drive. We were driving 4 vehicles. Two of my friends were in the car in front of me. All of a sudden, they pulled over to the side of the highway rather quickly and so did I. They ran out of the car and ran to the hood. Popped it open looking around and sniffing. I asked what was up and they said the engine had gotta be on fire because it really smells like something is burning inside the car. I looked and saw nothing suspicious; then took a look and saw smoke coming out from the back window. I looked inside and there was a shirt on the back seat in flames. Turns out, one of them threw his cig out of the front window and it flew right back in through the rear window that was also open. Man did I have a good laugh. I couldn’t stop laughing. It was friend’s favourite shirt too, 100% cotton. Needless to say, the seat was also ruined. Edit: while for me it was almost the highlight of the trip, the guy who owned the car spend half of the trip being ****ed off. In fact, that fire is what I remember most from that entire trip. I wonder what he remembers?

Having said that, I know it happens, but highly unlikely probability wise. In fact, most of those cigs flying out the window end up back on the road long before they get blown out to the ditch, making it even less likely for the fire to start. It is still a good idea to put it out. Better yet, beside not smoking in the vehicle, don't throw **** out of your windows!

Last edited by fishnguy; 05-08-2023 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:46 PM

I spent years around fires each year and most were caused by lightening, yes cig butts can start up fires, but for so many all in a short time is very odd .

As far as ambers traveling 50 miles I find that odd also ,5 to ten miles on a windy day . I could be very wrong, but this looks like a group is out to burn Alberta .

Not the first year things were dry and yes there were fires ,but not as many in a few days.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I spent years around fires each year and most were caused by lightening, yes cig butts can start up fires, but for so many all in a short time is very odd .

As far as ambers traveling 50 miles I find that odd also ,5 to ten miles on a windy day . I could be very wrong, but this looks like a group is out to burn Alberta .

Not the first year things were dry and yes there were fires ,but not as many in a few days.
The same thing crossed my mind. Just too many, most close to town sites. I'm no conspiracy theorist by any means but having been a Forest Officer for a few years back in the day, and attended many wildfires, something is not quite right with the pattern and frequency of this series.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
The same thing crossed my mind. Just too many, most close to town sites. I'm no conspiracy theorist by any means but having been a Forest Officer for a few years back in the day, and attended many wildfires, something is not quite right with the pattern and frequency of this series.
I don't want to sound like one either ,like I said I could be very wrong .

Fire is a terrible thing and very powerful so I feel for you folks out your way ,but I looked very hard at where they started or may have started .

There is no way in gods green earth that cigs started that many in those spots aimed right at populated areas . Those same folks have been smoking for years taking the same dry roads and yes some do start the odd one,but this many is very weird . Hope it's just some freak deal of nature ,but you can bet your last buck they will check every place these fires started .

They have to to make sure there isn't a bunch of nut jobs doing this and believe me there are plenty to go around .

Again I hope I am wrong.

Last edited by JD848; 05-09-2023 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:59 AM

Simple explanation why so many fires started this year near our Foothill towns. The roads around high population towns like Drayton, Edson, Fox Creek, Whitecourt have higher concentrations of people and Smokers. Thus more butts going into the very dry grass near these towns starting the fires. I rest my case!
Old 05-09-2023, 09:23 AM

There are a significant number of factors that go into each and every one of these fires. I am aware of 1 caused by a tree on a power line, that within 20 minutes went from a tiny little thing to a massive fire.

Look around at the conditions, a wind blowing opposite of prevailing winds, warm (hot in many areas) lack of moisture everywhere. I think there are a significant number of factors that need to be considered for each case.

I fully agree that people have to use their head, but I don’t believe careless people started as many fires as this thread would have you believe.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Simple explanation why so many fires started this year near our Foothill towns. The roads around high population towns like Drayton, Edson, Fox Creek, Whitecourt have higher concentrations of people and Smokers. Thus more butts going into the very dry grass near these towns starting the fires. I rest my case!
Drayton was started by stolen ATV being burned another south of Alder flats was a car crash. I know of a few that were started by farm equipment and burning brush that were put out before causing major problems. Theses are the only ones I personally know the ignition source at this time but I bet if you start digging a lot of fires had nothing to do with smoking

There was also basically dry lighting for 2days during the time many sparked up. This is a factor that is often a culprit in starting fires in dry conditions. Far more common the cigarette butts

Odds are you will find a real mix of reasons fires started

I knew the source of a fair number of the bad fires in B.C. where I lived in northern B.C. a few years back and cigarette butts were not the culprit. I ran heavy equipment a couple fires in B.C. and learned a fair amount from those who fought these fires for a living

I think everyone can agree throwing cigarette butts out the window is stupid but reality is there is many many ways theses fires start

People in general need to use more caution because there is a ton of different ways theses fires start do to humans

I know of way more fires over the years started from lightning, ATVs, heavy equipment, and careless burning/campfires than cigarette butts. When logging in Northern B.C. we put out a number of small fires before they took off because our crews had the equipment/training to do so. Even these smoking was rarely the cause

You might want to open your case back up and do more research
Old 05-09-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Jeeze man your hard headed.. very few if any of these fires were started on roadsides from disguarded cigarette butts. Drayton fire did not start on or near a road. Lightning and irresponsible spring burning is what started pretty much all of them.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:46 AM

You know, it might be just me - but aren't there less smokers nowadays? I mean as compared to the 60's to mid 80's?

You'd think that the whole province would have been ablaze back in those days, from the amount of butts that were tossed from car windows.

I mean, in my circle, less and less people smoke, and many have transitioned to e-cigs. Just my observation...
Old 05-09-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Smith has asked for federal help with fires. Military and fire fighters. Federal has obviously agreed and they have started on it today. Good on her for this.
I got a Facebook feed, they're looking for qualified firefighters, rate of pay 40./ hour.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-09-2023, 10:06 AM

Just want to throw a shout out and thank you to all the firefighters that are mobilizing from all over the province, as well as across the country, to do what many of us can't. It's times like this where people stick together that remind us we cannot do everything on out own. Much appreciation from me and my family, coming from a corner of the province that hasn't seen smoke yet. Not easy to leave families, work, and daily life to serve and protect, yet these heroes are out there for each of us.