Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2023, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I’m only 39 years young but can honestly say I’ve never seen or even heard of someone camping with a turkey fryer….
Ontario people like them for fish fry well camping
Old 05-17-2023, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I’m only 39 years young but can honestly say I’ve never seen or even heard of someone camping with a turkey fryer….
We take a turkey deep fryer to hunting camp every year. Wings, turkeys, fries, and all sorts of meat get thrown in it.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:34 PM

Smoky as heck down here in the Hat North wind blew in the smoke yesterday about 3:30 pm. Still smoky tonight as well. My nephew in law is up North helping out, hope all goes well.

On a more positive note just think how good the moose/ deer hunting will be in the next few years! Always a bright side if you look hard enough.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:36 PM

I heard about 1/2 hr ago they have shut all the bush in Alberta down, No ATV.s or motorized vehicles on any trails etc. Also hear that APOS is still allowed to operate all thier Bear Hunts, euipment and all. They sure are somethin Special. Cancelled my planned hunt a couple of days ago. Not a pretty picture out there.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Every single prison should be empty right now and prisoners should be fire fighting,
Wanna pay your debt back to society a little faster? Git at er…..
The first big fire season I experienced, 1965 I think, they were taking every able bodied man out of the taverns.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Every single prison should be empty right now and prisoners should be fire fighting,
Wanna pay your debt back to society a little faster? Git at er…..
>>
X2 TM. 100% Do a good job and show some initiative and who knows, maybe it'll fare very well for you. There would probably be those who would bug out in the chaos though and fiddle it for all.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
The first big fire season I experienced, 1965 I think, they were taking every able bodied man out of the taverns.
People who drink in lounges don't make good fire fighters.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-17-2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
That's the way it was done back then. Even took people of the Highways if there was a need. The only trained Crews were the "Standby Crews" posted in many of the Forest districts throughout the Province. (six or seven men) There were very few Forestry dedicated Helicopters around ( maybe 3 or 4 in the whole province) and never did see a water bomber. If you couldn't access a fire with vehicles or dozers or on foot or horse, the fire was left to burn itself out and the fireline checked later. Fortunately, that didn't happen often. (early 60's)
Old 05-17-2023, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Ontario people like them for fish fry well camping
There all across the darn country ,just more fish to fry out that way .Every tourist resort has some thing like it in Canada and the USA .
Old 05-18-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
There all across the darn country ,just more fish to fry out that way .Every tourist resort has some thing like it in Canada and the USA .
And here I thought the camp fire and cast iron pan shore lunch was how most people did it.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:
And here I thought the camp fire and cast iron pan shore lunch was how most people did it.
Yup I have always seen shore lunch done with frying pans

Turkey fryer has always been directly at camp or cabin because it’s cumbersome in a boat and demands more oil
Old 05-18-2023, 08:10 AM

Lion's share of shore lunch is done with cast iron, pound of lard for fish and pound of butter for dollar fries, bags of prefered coatings, cooler of cold ones.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:24 AM

Any official news about how all those fires started over such a dispersed area?
Old 05-18-2023, 11:22 AM

It isn't bad enough all the brush fires, evacuations, heavy smoke (air index is over 21 here today!!)....no, we have to have some asshat running around starting fires right in the city. One of those was only a couple blocks from my place.

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2023/05...picious-fires/

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-18-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
It isn't bad enough all the brush fires, evacuations, heavy smoke (air index is over 21 here today!!)....no, we have to have some asshat running around starting fires right in the city. One of those was only a couple blocks from my place.

I saw that, someone posted it GP on Facebook, three "teenagers".

Grizz

Old 05-18-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Guys that pull that crap, should be tied to a stake with a fire lit around them and then walk away!

BW
Old 05-18-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
We try and avoid all camp fires at many places due to the change in hot dry weather , we use these deep fryers or large pots on burners same thing just different size when cooking for 60 people . It would take 3 hours or ten pans for a large group. 2 large containers for fry's and 2 for fish, done in 45 minutes the whole group. We like to leave our cooking spots like no one has been there ,but many wreck it for others .

We still use one large pot with oil for small stuff on a burner ,more solid platform and in 30 degree heat no hot fires to sit by and cook .8 hours in a boat on 30 degree ,who in hell wants a fire .At camp we have fires at night when there allowed .

I still use a cast iron the odd time if I'm alone on a small propane burner . A small tank weights 5 pounds and you can cook for a long time .

To many idiots don't put out there fires so this way we are not liable if some donkey comes an hour later an burns the area down.

It's more for safety for the cook and liability for his safety along with not being sued for burning the forest down .

Now if it's pouring rain and folks need to dry out I start a fire ,only time .

To many fires have been started by idiots so this is why .Some over load the pan with whatever and the pan catches fire and if it's windy and your near dry ground in 1 minute you have a ten foot fire and yes your near water ,but if the fire gets into one spruce your screwed .

This is all done on a solid platform so tipping is almost impossible . But it can happen .

I ate by a fire for 6 months a year for 35 years when logging in the winter ,so fires are not a big fan of mine.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
A stay at home order..... sounds like a reasonable solution. Tell hard working folk what they can do with their leisure time. Sounds awesome.

Let me know how many turkey frying fires contribute to wildfires this weekend, if it's more than zero I'll vote NDP.
The point was there are many idiots that will do it, or other reckless behavior, because they "can"...potentially causing more havoc/strain to our already overworked emergency people.

And, as you said, please tell hard working people living in the country near affected areas how they feel about that.

And don't make this a political post.

BTW...where do you live?

City or non affected rural areas?...Thanx...
Old 05-18-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Well I have, and I'm sure many others have...All good...
Old 05-18-2023, 05:49 PM

Over the last few years I lived thru the fires in BC

Now I'm looking to move to Alberta and the same thing is happening there
Old 05-18-2023, 06:30 PM

Quote:

I'm willing to bet that there is way more of that that has happened in the last two weeks than we think.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:13 PM

After the election the fires will stop.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
I am doubtful of that

I have experienced enough bad fire seasons living in B.C. that I was already wary of the conditions before the first fire started. See it play out enough you can have a good idea it’s going to happen. Minimal snow over winter, early melt, no spring rain and add a record breaking heat odds of wild fires go through the roof

Add car less stupid people it just gets worse
Old 05-18-2023, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I think you're correct.

"Random" fires start in GP, then in Woking, then Ryecroft, now another further up the highway.

Barrhead RCMP are on the lookout for a 57 year old Caucasian woman from Camrose caught on camera dumping gas on St. Anne's Catholic Church.

Elderly couple near Edson found 2 Jerry cans of gasoline discarded in the ditch near their property.

These are just the ones I know to be true.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:53 PM

Quote:
67 wildfires in BC right now....
Old 05-19-2023, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Have to drive Peace River to Edmonton on Thursday morning. Looking at the smoke map, it looks about the same at the moment, whether a guy goes through Slave Lake or Whitecourt. No services Valleyview to Whitecourt, which is fine. What say you who travelled in the past couple of days?

Edit: Looked at the alleged wind change on Wednesday and Thursday, and 43 might get closed altogether.
Drove via Slave Lake. The smoke in PR was quite brutal in the morning (a bit of ash again, but not nearly as much as a few days ago, while quite a bit more smoke - weird how things work) and it was more or less the same all the way to just before Slave Lake - it started clearing up 15-20 minutes before Slave Lake. The only fire that could be visible from the highway (and it was mostly smoke) was just after Slave Lake.

Yesterday was a nice day in PR, hardly any smoke at all. I was then coming back home from a grocery store and looked south. You could see this wall coming:

It did start getting bad minutes later, but nothing extraordinary, relatively speaking. The morning was quite brutal though. Not sure what the air quality index was at, but likely mot very good, haha.

Old 05-19-2023, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
67 wildfires in BC right now....
No election and NDP in power licking Trudeau’s boots the whole way. Doesn’t seem to prevent wildfires this year or past year either. Most of B.C. is not experiencing anywhere near the dry conditions in Alberta too

But it all political
Old 05-19-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvert View Post
Any official news about how all those fires started over such a dispersed area?
Probably feeding the conspiracy crowd, but I've heard from several sources, because of the sudden outbreaks in different places, arson should be on the plate, Just Saying. No doubt about what was happening in GP the other night.

Grizz

Old 05-19-2023, 09:08 AM

The rycroft fire a tree fell on a powerline in high winds, almost lost the farm. Woking something related to wellsite maintenance, probably accidental. The recent GP fires are scary.
Old 05-19-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
We take a turkey deep fryer to hunting camp every year. Wings, turkeys, fries, and all sorts of meat get thrown in it.
X2 our large fishing group uses one lots. Little off topic sorry.