Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2023, 07:22 PM

Default New Glasses

So got my eye exam with prescription. Need progressive lenses. Didn't buy anything at the store. Any feedback or experience with stores or on line glasses for progressive glasses? Thanks
Old 06-02-2023, 07:59 PM

Just got mine done...... good ol Costco. Great service and can't beat the price.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:09 PM

Been buying mine on line from Zenni for ever, always happy. Seem to be the most reasonable of the online companies and definitely a lot cheaper than stores.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 06-02-2023, 08:29 PM

Clearly
Good fast service
Got 3 pairs single vision one pair were sunglasses $426
Old 06-02-2023, 08:45 PM

Second Specs in West Edmonton Mall.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:49 PM

I hate progressives. Unless you spend a lot you are far better off with bi-focals. I have wrestled with progressives for years, my reading prescription they said was +2.5. Finally got fed up told them to build me bi-focals with a +1.25 reading, best decision I ever made. Happy, happy, happy. There is a big difference between cheap progressives and expensive ones.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-02-2023, 09:46 PM

Recently changed glasses. With age I wanted more peripheral vision than progressives. Went to trifocals but am finding them a bit busy vertically. Peripheral is much better but will probably go to bi-vocals next time.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:52 PM

I bought my last couple from Kits in Vancouver. Unbelievable customer service and very reasonable prices.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I bought my last couple from Kits in Vancouver. Unbelievable customer service and very reasonable prices.
That’s the old Starbucks isn’t it? Quite the idea combining a coffee shop and eyeglasses.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:15 PM

The optometrist I went to a month ago asked me if I thought I needed glasses. I said no. He agreed.

I went to the eye doc because I had a chunk of hot steel get into my eye. It was painful and I was truly worried about it but after a month of recovery I have no vision impairment as a result of that incident.

I'm 68 and have been using readers for years, 1.5 to 1.75 diopters work best for me now. It's just my close up vision that needs correction, my distance vision is good.

Twenty years ago, I had my first prescription glasses, bifocals and progressives. I did not need them for distance at all and I found them to be really irritating by having to move my head up and down to find the correct head position for what I wanted to look at. In the end I think that the doc that gave me the prescription just wanted me to believe I needed glasses.

I don't need prescription glasses do you?
Old 06-02-2023, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
That’s the old Starbucks isn’t it? Quite the idea combining a coffee shop and eyeglasses.
I really don’t know- I ordered the glasses online.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:08 AM

Really two things frames and the lenses. Frames one can easily judge quality from junk. The lenses however is a much bigger deal and harder to see (pun intended). Standard lenses vs digital lenses a.k.a cheap vs expensive and if you are near sighted, can’t see squat (near nor far) or need a strong prescription be cautious of what you purchase. As is with most things in life you get what you pay for.

After running Nikon lenses for most of my life figured I’d give Costco a go as the pricing was night and day. My Costco glasses came in and all was great until I put them on my face… could see the difference instantly. Costco service was great. They figured a poorly machined lens so had another set done up. No difference. Eventually Costco eye guy explained to me what the issue was standard vs digital lenses. Eventually was refunded thankfully.

If you are a first timer, you’ll won’t know any difference. But be wise as all is not equal.

Rifle scope and binoculars much of the same.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Really two things frames and the lenses. Frames one can easily judge quality from junk. The lenses however is a much bigger deal and harder to see (pun intended). Standard lenses vs digital lenses a.k.a cheap vs expensive and if you are near sighted, can’t see squat (near nor far) or need a strong prescription be cautious of what you purchase. As is with most things in life you get what you pay for.

After running Nikon lenses for most of my life figured I’d give Costco a go as the pricing was night and day. My Costco glasses came in and all was great until I put them on my face… could see the difference instantly. Costco service was great. They figured a poorly machined lens so had another set done up. No difference. Eventually Costco eye guy explained to me what the issue was standard vs digital lenses. Eventually was refunded thankfully.

If you are a first timer, you’ll won’t know any difference. But be wise as all is not equal.

It costs about 2 bucks to make a set of name brand frames they charge you several hundred for.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 06-03-2023, 08:22 AM

what gets me is I spent over $1500 for top of the line glass and frames
I broke the frames skiing and they said they no longer have those frames and i have to buy compete new glasses for another $1500
Back in the sixties when I started wearing glasses there were not as many frames and lots of the frames were standard so you just have to buy the frames
it is a suck in deal now
Old 06-03-2023, 09:11 AM

Got new glasses after 7 years. Progressives total cost after Blue Cross and Alberta old timer benefit $15.00 from Spruce Grove. I payed more for reading glasses at Shoppers.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post

I was wondering why when I started to get my glasses from Costco that there was something off about the clarity, thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.
Old 06-03-2023, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
I was wondering why when I started to get my glasses from Costco that there was something off about the clarity, thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.
Ah yes, that would explain mine as well.

I did get my progressives there, and after taking a while to get used to them, they have been okay.

The biggest issue I have is when I'm in the woods, walking on uneven ground. I have to tilt my head low enough to be able to see where I'm putting my feet(using the distance part of my glasses), but then I'm not watching further down the trail; I look like an idiot that just watches his feet while he walks.

I compromise by wearing my contacts set up for monovision, so I can still sort of use my phone etc. (tying a lure is dicey) but I can manage on the trail. It does affect my ability to spot game at a distance, though, which is a pain.
Old 06-03-2023, 10:39 AM
Banned

zenni!!
You can probably get 10 pair for the same price as a local place.
Old 06-03-2023, 10:53 AM

Sort of funny....
I was working out of Lethbridge & on days off I went to an optical place to get sun glasses.
One set I liked they wanted $270.00.
Another set I liked , they wanted over $300.00

Said no way !

Went to Wallmart & found a set just like the $270.00 ones........for just under $19.00 !
Old 06-03-2023, 06:44 PM

I dont really need glasses for distance or midrange but i cant see to read etc. So I have a pair of what I call bi focsls, but with no prescription In the top and just reading in bottom. Kept losing my reading glasses. Now I dont need to carry anything. I got transitions so everything on my face all the time not always hunting for my reading glasses or sunglasses anymore. Been doing that now for quite a few years.
I think I've left a pair of readers in very truck stop I've ever been in. It's a pain when you get down the road aways and need to do log book and got no readers. I dont find transitions get dark enough in truck so I do have pair of clip ons I leave in each vehicle we have including the Kenworth I had before I retired. But I don't lose them or carry them with me.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:39 PM

Check out Clearly a Canadian online retailer for glasses and contacts.
They have been around for quite some time.
I have been using them for years for everything from single vision, progressive and sunglasses (prescription).
They have price points to meet every budget, constantly running promotions which can enhance your savings.
Free returns withing 30 days.
Old 06-10-2023, 08:36 AM

Wherever you get your glasses from, will try to sell you the tinted (sunglass) lens. I've found them to be a total waste of money as I had to wear clip-ons on my tinted glasses.
Old 06-11-2023, 06:40 AM

Waiting for my appointment for a prescription after Cataract surgery. I notice there is a huge difference in the quality of readers, the cheap ones that I am using I have trouble with need to find a good balance.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations