Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-05-2023, 03:38 PM

Default Lac Ste Anne Walleye

So is it just slow for us?? My sons and I have not caught a walleye in two trips out since opening. Only a few small jack. Anyone else having luck???
Old 06-05-2023, 04:14 PM

Are you in a boat and what side of the lake are you fishing?
Old 06-05-2023, 09:25 PM

Last weekend off dock in Ross haven caught 7-8. Was surprised with the water levels being so low.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:14 AM

We were out on May 28, caught 70 between 2 of us in 4-5 hours. Water temp was very high for that early in the year. West side of the lake, closer to the narrows. No real small fish, all 40-55cm. All looking healthy. frozen minnows on jig heads all day long.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:25 AM

Did you see alot of Mayflies or Fish Flies on the water? When there is a major hatch on, all the bait is hitting the nymphs trying to get to the surface. All the small perch, minnows, whitefish, etc are on a feeding binge.

Funny part is that the walleye are also cruising off the bottom and feeding heavy on the nymphs, and of course everything else that gets in the way.

All you can do is cast suspending or diving plugs and fish a few feet off he bottom, or fish light jigs fast and off the bottom.

On the weekend, we had walleye cruising a couple feet from the surface, and the hatch was thick. Water was gin clear and you could see fish cruising in 6 - 8 FOW ahead of the boat and well off the bottom.

Walleye we cleaned were stuffed with freshly eaten nymphs, black to brown colour, with the distinct fork tail of the mayflies that were everywhere. Why they hit our jigs when their guts were stuffed solid is beyond me.

For fun cast a Canadian Wiggler in perch or yellow five of diamonds when you see this happening and the bottom fished jigs stop working.

Drewski
Old 06-07-2023, 08:56 PM

Was out yesterday evening and landed 27 walleye in 3 hours. Was pretty steady towards dark. West cove launch was gross with weeds already.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:21 AM

Thats the trick for walleye ,is in the evening . You can fish all day and only get one or two but come evening they stand up to there name ...walleye .
Old 06-08-2023, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Thats the trick for walleye ,is in the evening . You can fish all day and only get one or two but come evening they stand up to there name ...walleye .
We fish morning, afternoon and evening, and we catch them. Our record is 75 in just over two hours last year and we started at around 10am. Last Saturday we started at 8am and did well, the bite can be great at various times, throughout the day. We have done well at Lac St Anne in the past, but with water levels too low to even get to my friends dock now, I won't be fishing there this year.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 06-08-2023 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:30 PM

Was out in the kayak this last weekend, both outings in the evening. Caught more walleye than jacks which I found unusual considering the low water and that I never catch walleye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2023, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBUGLER View Post
Are you in a boat and what side of the lake are you fishing?
Yes, lol. In a boat, typically fish around farmers island in west cove. From the messages on here it seems to be us. Have not fished much in the evening though. Will try again! Thanks all.

And yes, very low water.
Old 10-12-2023, 03:24 PM

without getting into specifics, is LSA more of a "numbers" lake, but lacking in overall size? Just curious. My wife and I are strictly CnR fishers, always on the hunt for trophy walleye. With the south pooched this coming ice season, it looks like we'll be headed north. We're down in Olds, and normally travel to the southern reservoirs, but I think this winter we're going to be headed north to try and find trophy walter.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
without getting into specifics, is LSA more of a "numbers" lake, but lacking in overall size? Just curious. My wife and I are strictly CnR fishers, always on the hunt for trophy walleye. With the south pooched this coming ice season, it looks like we'll be headed north. We're down in Olds, and normally travel to the southern reservoirs, but I think this winter we're going to be headed north to try and find trophy walter.
Good numbers but LSA isn’t far enough North unfortunately.
Old 10-13-2023, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Good numbers but LSA isn’t far enough North unfortunately.
appreciate that - thanks! Looking into La Nonne and La Biche as well. LLB is a bit of a hike for us, but if it was worth it, we might. We started overnight camping on the ice last year to try and make the most of the long drives, so that helps a bit.
Old 10-16-2023, 10:01 AM

Our hardwater group fished mostly LaNonne and Ste. Anne for the past few winters. Only seen a few walleye on the camera at LaNonne among the many pike and perch. Had better luck at Ste. Anne chasing wallys with the largest landed at 58 cms last year. Did manage to fill a few tags for dinner.
Old 10-16-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain11 View Post
Our hardwater group fished mostly LaNonne and Ste. Anne for the past few winters. Only seen a few walleye on the camera at LaNonne among the many pike and perch. Had better luck at Ste. Anne chasing wallys with the largest landed at 58 cms last year. Did manage to fill a few tags for dinner.
ooof.... 22" biggest, eh? That's no good... hmmm. The research continues....
Old 10-16-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
ooof.... 22" biggest, eh? That's no good... hmmm. The research continues....
Alberta’s big walleye are more often found in rivers

A lot of Alberta lakes with walleye were over stocked so they lack the forage base to get big. Yes you can get bigger walleye in some of Alberta’s lakes but they are not super common

I am not a walleye fisherman so take this for what it’s worth but out of the central Alberta lakes I fish 28inch is up at the top end of what I catch with most being much smaller.

If big walleye are a priority for you Alberta is not as good as many other provinces. If fishing was my top priority Alberta would not be my top choice of places to live. But Alberta has some ok fishing, some good hunting, and I prefer the drier weather so I live here

Reading your recent posts I think maybe you decided to call the wrong place home