Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 03:37 PM

Default Camp grounds and generators

Hello all, wondering if some RVer's can help me out here. Would like to know if your built in generator on your trailer or motorhome are exempt from the rules that a lot of campground have about running time? Since it's not the portable type that you leave outside.

I have always had the portable type, but this new rig I got now has the generator built in a nice box and it's got some sound proofing stuff around it and you can hardly hear running outside the motorhome.

Thanks
Tommy
Old 06-08-2023, 03:43 PM

Still counts as a generator and generator times apply.
you can get special exemptions if power is needed for medical reasons.

I personally don't mind the generator hours, but i would rather the morning hours to start at 8 or 830 instead of 9am.

what needs to be outlawed are the crappy construction generators that you can hear from a mile away.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:21 PM

They should only allow generators that you can not hears at all ,at any time of the day . All those other loud units should not be allowed at all . I will never stay at a non powered site just for that reason . Had a guy next to me run his loud unit all day . not much of a holiday in camp .
Old 06-08-2023, 05:16 PM

If your noisy generator runs non stop all day in the campground and then suddenly quits and won't start again, check your spark plug. You'll see that the tip is probably broken off. Too bad, you probably don't have a spare, do you??? This seems to happen most frequently on the cheaper and bigger construction grade gennies. Poor quality control I guess. I don't ever recall seeing it happen to a small Honda or Yamaha generator.

Oh, and watch out for the dog doo smeared all over the pull start handle...you don't want to catch worms. Damn dogs crapping all over everything, but ya gotta love 'em anyway, am I right???

As to your question, sorry I can't answer it because I don't own a generator.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:23 PM

Here we go! You will get responses from NO generators, to I can run my genny day and night, whenever I want! Seems to me, a genny is a genny, portable or otherwise! Obey the rules of the campsites you are in and no issues! Why do you need a genny after 11 at night? Before 8 A M ??
JMHO.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Why do you need a genny after 11 at night? Before 8 A M ??
JMHO.
Well you probably need to run your generator after 11 at night because your lazy teenagers sat inside the trailer all day playing video games while you sat in your lawn chair with the radio screaming on the trailer while you sat by the fire drinking large volumes of beer. Now it’s after 11pm, your 3/4 drunk and you just want to go to bed but you notice the “check light” is on on the fridge because your single 8 year old 12volt battery that you swapped out of the wife’s old car before you sold is now dead.

And that’s why you need to run a generator after 11pm.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
They should only allow generators that you can not hears at all ,at any time of the day . All those other loud units should not be allowed at all . I will never stay at a non powered site just for that reason . Had a guy next to me run his loud unit all day . not much of a holiday in camp .
Agreed, even the quiet ones have a humming noise that can be annoying over time. Wind whispering through the trees is natural not generator noise to run video games and what not.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Well you probably need to run your generator after 11 at night because your lazy teenagers sat inside the trailer all day playing video games while you sat in your lawn chair with the radio screaming on the trailer while you sat by the fire drinking large volumes of beer. Now it’s after 11pm, your 3/4 drunk and you just want to go to bed but you notice the “check light” is on on the fridge because your single 8 year old 12volt battery that you swapped out of the wife’s old car before you sold is now dead.

That...hehe..,.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:10 PM

Quote:

HAHAHA!! Yup, this!!
Old 06-08-2023, 06:26 PM

Really? You think your built in genny is quite enough to be exempt from the rules?
Old 06-08-2023, 06:36 PM

I think a lot people that run a generator at night are doing it to run a cpap machine just make sure you buy a quiet one. My wife has one so I just have an inverter hooked to my batteries and plug the trailer into it for the night.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
If your noisy generator runs non stop all day in the campground and then suddenly quits and won't start again, check your spark plug. You'll see that the tip is probably broken off. Too bad, you probably don't have a spare, do you??? This seems to happen most frequently on the cheaper and bigger construction grade gennies. Poor quality control I guess. I don't ever recall seeing it happen to a small Honda or Yamaha generator.

Oh, and watch out for the dog doo smeared all over the pull start handle...you don't want to catch worms. Damn dogs crapping all over everything, but ya gotta love 'em anyway, am I right???

As to your question, sorry I can't answer it because I don't own a generator.
People who don't own generators are obviously just better people.
Just ask them.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
People who don't own generators are obviously just better people.
Just ask them.

People like me go camping to get away from city crap. I want to hear the wolves howl, not another internal combustion engine.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 06-08-2023, 08:56 PM
Banned

i could tell you about how the recoil rope on the genny next door broke at 3 in the morning, .....but
Old 06-08-2023, 09:18 PM

Must be the heat making everyone sour. I hate barking dogs and the bark of a 7.3 with straight pipes but I either tolerate it or head to the cabin in saskie. Alberta camping is a real challenge to my patience but sometimes you gotta go to where the almighty in-laws decide to go. Thank the lord the kids are all grown and we don't go as much. Listen to my sister in law whine about everything under the sun and you will be going out to buy a 6500 watt homelite with an 18 horse Wisconsin just to drown her out.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Here we go! You will get responses from NO generators, to I can run my genny day and night, whenever I want! Seems to me, a genny is a genny, portable or otherwise! Obey the rules of the campsites you are in and no issues! Why do you need a genny after 11 at night? Before 8 A M ??
JMHO.

I'm glad that we sold our 5th wheel a few years ago. Here I thought that the reservation system and crowding were getting bad back then. If I were to go to a campground now, I'd likely need to head to the city to get some peace and quiet after listening to the Kens and Karens. lol
Old 06-08-2023, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Really? You think your built in genny is quite enough to be exempt from the rules?
Quite enough what?

"Toe da so" - Ricky, Trailer Park Boys
Old 06-08-2023, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
No not really, if you read my post I was questioning if a built in genny would be
would be exempt from the rules, cause it's built in. That it, never had a motorhome before and haven't even used this one before, so all is kind of new to me. This is why I asked.

Take a chill pill Tungsten the heat must be getting to you relax.

Thanks people for the replies

Tommy
Old 06-08-2023, 09:52 PM

Lol

"Toe da so" - Ricky, Trailer Park Boys
Old 06-08-2023, 10:00 PM

For the amount that people spend on generators like the Yamaha or Honda , spend that money on solar panels inverter and good batteries.

We go camping to get away from noisy neighbors and their lawnmowers , weed eaters and leaf blowers .
Listening to noisy genies is not my ideal camping trip, in fact it’s a bit selfish of you running a generator, that tells me you only think about you and no one else.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
People like me go camping to get away from city crap. I want to hear the wolves howl, not another internal combustion engine.

Grizz
Which is why you haul the giant 5th wheel toy hauler to a campground…. To enjoy nature.lol
Old 06-08-2023, 10:18 PM

I think common sense would be an easy answer to your question, A Gen is a Gen just like a dog is a dog.
Something for you also to think about if your next door neighbour can hear your music, it’s too loud so be courteous and turn it down!
Old 06-08-2023, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
For the amount that people spend on generators like the Yamaha or Honda , spend that money on solar panels inverter and good batteries.

We go camping to get away from noisy neighbors and their lawnmowers , weed eaters and leaf blowers .
Listening to noisy genies is not my ideal camping trip, in fact it’s a bit selfish of you running a generator, that tells me you only think about you and no one else.
Yes I do agree with you on the good batteries/solar panels equipment, seems the way to go nowadays. When I got this new to me motorhome the genny was with it all hard wired in, unlike the portable ones you put outside aways from camper and run a extension cord to. Just thought I'd ask the question.

What I do know is that your mighty hasty in judging me based on that one question I posted. You have no idea who I am or know anything about me, nor I you. So with that said are you trying to state that anyone that runs a genny only thinks about them self and no one else? There was no mention of lawnmowers etc, that's all on you.

Tommy
Old 06-08-2023, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Yes I do agree with you on the good batteries/solar panels equipment, seems the way to go nowadays. When I got this new to me motorhome the genny was with it all hard wired in, unlike the portable ones you put outside aways from camper and run a extension cord to. Just thought I'd ask the question.

What I do know is that your mighty hasty in judging me based on that one question I posted. You have no idea who I am or know anything about me, nor I you. So with that said are you trying to state that anyone that runs a genny only thinks about them self and no one else? There was no mention of lawnmowers etc, that's all on you.

Tommy
Don't take it too personally. Half of this forum are grouchy old men who need an outlet because their wives and friends tuned them out long ago.

I think this thread just made for a fun time complaining about generators and how little regard some folks have for others. Sometimes coming back from camping feels like you just had a front row seat to the "who can be the most inconsiderate A hole?" competition.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:23 PM

Thanks Jstubbs,
For a moment there I thought I kicked up a hornets nest. It certainly wasn't my intention to bring back past traumatic experiences some on here must of had with noisy generators. Lol

Tommy
Old 06-09-2023, 01:21 AM

Quote:

If you're only 3/4 drunk by 11:00pm, are you really camping?
Old 06-09-2023, 06:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well when you break free from the hustle and bustle of life to go relax in a campground you dam well know what’s in store sooner or later

Really gotta pick your times, locations accordingly to make the most of an outing.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-09-2023, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
No not really, if you read my post I was questioning if a built in genny would be
would be exempt from the rules, cause it's built in. That it, never had a motorhome before and haven't even used this one before, so all is kind of new to me. This is why I asked.

Take a chill pill Tungsten the heat must be getting to you relax.

Thanks people for the replies

Tommy
No, your built in generator is no quieter than any other one when in a campground.
Noise travels,Last time in BC guy ran a chord down to his genny on shore.All you could here was that thing rumbling when out on the lake.Didnt take long before someone complained.
Old 06-09-2023, 06:53 AM

This forum is something else. A guy asks a simple question and gets berated because he has the audacity to own a generator, or worse yet, a larger rv!! Wow. People need to stop for a second and read their replies before hitting submit. Although I doubt that would change anything. And yes. I have a generator. Which I run on my own few acres of land in the mountains. Where I stay in my medium sized rv. Hope it doesn’t disturb any of you select ultra hard core all natural campers.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
This forum is something else. A guy asks a simple question and gets berated because he has the audacity to own a generator, or worse yet, a larger rv!! Wow. People need to stop for a second and read their replies before hitting submit. Although I doubt that would change anything. And yes. I have a generator. Which I run on my own few acres of land in the mountains. Where I stay in my medium sized rv. Hope it doesn’t disturb any of you select ultra hard core all natural campers.
Big difference between your own or public lands!

What you do on your land is your business.
Closed Thread