Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2018, 11:07 PM

Default Trip to Hawaii

Wondering if any of you guys that travel quite a bit could offer some advice.

My mother has always wanted to go to Hawaii, when she got married at 19 of course would have loved to Honeymoon there but couldn't afford it. So they figured they would go there for their 25'th wedding anniversary. 3 kids later and a farm to look after that never happened. They celebrated their 46'th anniversary on saturday. I'd like to save up and send them on this trip for around 10 days roughly.

Where would I send them and how much $$$ would I need roughly?
I can garuntee dad isn't going to sit on a beach for a week so they would need some day trips and sight seeing. Probably rent a car.

Are there all inclusives in HI like Mexico or whatever? Is that the way to go? They don't drink so that's not a benefit of an all inclusive to them.

I punched some dates into expedia randomly and airfare and hotels were about $3,200 which was less than I thought it would be.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:20 PM

Check air bnb for accommodation, probably gonna be cheaper then hotel, and more choices.
Next, since it's technically 'merica they have same stores that we do - Safeway, Walgreens, Walmart, etc. No point getting all inclusive IMO. Get a dozen of eggs, bacon, box of serial, gallon of milk to cover breakfasts, grab something on the go for lunch, have nice meal for dinner.
Yes, car rental is almost a must.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:24 PM

Default Hawaii

Not much for all inclusive in Hawaii.

Last edited by landowner; 05-15-2018 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-15-2018, 11:30 PM

We usually end up going to Maui every other year. There are no AI’s in Hawaii like you see in Mexico, Jamaica, etc.. We budget about $6000-$7000 for 2 of us for about 2 weeks. Get an AirBnB (or VRBO), that way they can at least cook breakfast (or a bunch of meals). Groceries are easy (Costco, Safeway). A rental car is a must.

Another option is an island cruise. My folks did that a few years ago. Get a flight to Hawaii and then do the cruise. You sail at night and wake up at a new island everyday. They would have a rental car booked at each port. Jump in the car and check out the island. No idea on cost though.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:46 AM

same as above cost wise, get them a condo in Kihei (maui) get direct flights or a stop over in Vancouver or LA to shorten the trip if needed.
10-14 days 2 people 2-3 meals out a day, rental car/jeep
I bank on 150-200 a day cash for food/entertainment, and normally am very close.
LOVE maui its not a cheep holiday but the weather is always nice, you can drink the tap water, speak the language and ive never had any issues with anyone.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:10 AM

Don't think Hawaii such a good spot right now
Old 05-17-2018, 07:35 AM

Oahu is where all the tourist stuff is, Maui is more of a laid back atmosphere.

Really depends on your parents activity rate health wise and what they love to do on a vacation. You mentioned that they will need day trips and sight seeing and that is perfect for Oahu, Pearl Harbor, Pacific Cemetery, Diamond Head, Polynesian Cultural Center, Kualoa Ranch (Movies shot here) etc. You can actually spend 2 weeks and never do anything on the beach just touring.

My wife went with her daughter when she was get married on the Big Island (Volcano right now) and they spent a week there and she said she would never go back as she has seen it once and nothing to do that interested her. A few things she liked but that was it.

When we got married (both second marriages) we went to Maul for a week and it was ok but again she was bored after the 5th day and it is more of a laid back relaxed atmosphere. She is not a swimmer and it is all I can do to get her to wade up to her waist in the water.

Last month I finally convinced her to go to Oahu because I had been there lots of times and loved it as a kid. I booked 2 weeks at a friends house and she absolutely loved it, she didn't want to come home. We are both in our late 50's and we have had plenty of time on the beach, we want to see something. If I want to lay on a beach I can go to Pigeon lake.

Have they ever been on a cruise? Where they happy with the ship entertainment and laying out on a beach chair reading a book and doing ship activities with the day trips to islands? If this sounds like them they will do fine on Maui. If they got bored after the 3rd day and couldn't wait to get to port and do something then Oahu would be more their style.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:55 AM

After almost 10 yrs of planning our family of five adults went to Hawaii last week for the first time...and of course we chose the Kona coast on the Big Island and of course the volcano erupted the day before our departure. The danger and lava fountains were on the east side and had virtually no affect on Kona which is about 100k west. We really enjoyed our trip and did several activities including lots of incredible snorkeling right from shore, night time manta ray snorkel, kayaking with a big pod of spinner dolphins, coffee farm tour ( free except for the $100 we spent on coffee). We also took a drive to the other side of the island not near the lava and if you rent a 4 x 4 you can do a crazy drive to the top of the dormant mauna kea volcano and see a great view at 14,000 feet , although I did get a bit dizzy and light headed with 40% less oxygen. We stayed at a VRBO condo on the ocean and the complex was great with several pools and incredibly well kept grounds. Kailua-Kona is not a big city although there is a Costco and Walmart. There are many resorts, hotels and houses available. However with the volcanic activity increasing you may want to check out another island if planning to send your parents soon...
Old 05-17-2018, 09:25 AM

Depends on their expectations and budget.

The big island is impressive for the volcanic scenery. However beaches are poor and the tropical area is hit by volcanic eruptions. I would skip for now.

Oahu is like any small lower 48 states city but beside a nice beach. Honolulu is somewhat iconic and the WW2 museum is excellent however not a tropical feel. More suited in my opinion for city lovers wanting a beach beside their hotel.

Mahi is the cheapest...lots of nice beaches. Kihei is cheaper than Kaanapali (expensive resorts...beautiful beaches some great deals on FRBO). Wailea is great but expensive...nice beaches. Hana is a nice drive and tropical however the rest of the area feels a lot like putting Kamloops beside an ocean. Dry and not lush.

Kauai is to be the epitome of what a tropical island should be...especially the Princeville area. Poipu Beach is popular and a little drier. Nice beaches around. Gilligan's Island and Jurassic Park amongst other movies shot here. Definitely a great place and my favorite of the bunch.

Seasonally...you need to know how the winds blow as it can affect beaches...wind blowing over the island make for calmer beaches than wind blowing straight from off shore.

My two cents.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-17-2018, 09:58 AM

I have been to Maui twice and Kona once. Much preferred Maui but I am beach guy. There is a beauty places to see on Maui. As others said vrbo would be the way to go imo. Get a condo, and a rental car. My parents really enjoyed honalulu as well, I think that’s the place with way more sight seeing. Not positive though since I haven’t been there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk