Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-06-2009, 09:10 PM

Default 2009 Spring Bear Hunt

Hey all....well I have officially lived in Alberta since July 08. I will be transfering jobs this summer out to Thunder Bay and I really feel as though I didn't experienced as much of the outdoor experience and hunting that Alberta has to offer. Since my time is very limited, I would like to spend the last few months here getting out there and hunting.. after getting my PAL and residency late...I only ended up hunting the last 2 weeks or so of the fall 2008 season...I ended up getting 7 grouse and seeing some beautiful country....I had a shot at a mulie doe but she was walking down the middle of a side road...so I didn't feel too inclinded to take a shot....anyways to the point....I have always been interested in Bear hunting and is is something that I will pursue in the future...being that Bear hunting is one of the only big game animals that I could hunt in the next couple of months, I think I would like to give it a go....again I am a rookie at this ...

I am in Leduc and hunted the 338, 339 and surrounding area.....again this is all I know being that I only had two weeks to hunt.....so is this area decent for bears?? is it busy?? is it worth it?? any help and suggestions would be most appreciated....

Thanks to all,

clu__82
Old 03-08-2009, 02:46 PM

Those areas are pretty good for bear, you might also want to try 337. I had luck there last fall. You need to get out there and do some scouting for an area that is close to water and has visible sign of beaver dams. Are you planning on baiting or doing spot and stalk??
Old 03-08-2009, 03:32 PM

If you only have 2 weeks of hunitng I'm guessing you are thinking of doing a spot/stalk. I'd go in the last 2 weeks of May and keep an eye on cutlines, ditches, and cutblocks for green grasses and clover growing. Drive and cover some country and you'll run into bears in the green stuff......
Old 03-09-2009, 01:34 PM

P.M. sent.
RBH
Old 03-09-2009, 04:34 PM

If you are planning on spot and stalk, you will want to find cutlines with lots of dandylions. This is a favorite of bears, and you'll be sure to find them..Best of luck to you....If you want more info I'd be happy to share some with you..
Have a good day!!
Old 03-09-2009, 06:36 PM

there are lots of bears in 338 but lots of baits out to the bears cruise from bait to bait
Old 03-12-2009, 09:57 PM

I'm looking at hunting the first weekend in April and was wondering on if anyone had any ideas on where to hunt that early? I know i'm looking for green but would going down south help a little or should i try and stay north of Calgary??
Old 03-14-2009, 11:44 AM

wish i could move back to thunder bay, theres plenty of bears there for the fall hunt
Old 03-14-2009, 12:30 PM

I'm thinking the bears will still be holed up this year all through April. I too was hoping to get out for a weekend bear hunt in April, but with this weather that we are having, it's not looking too good.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270!BigGame View Post
I'm looking at hunting the first weekend in April and was wondering on if anyone had any ideas on where to hunt that early? I know i'm looking for green but would going down south help a little or should i try and stay north of Calgary??

In most years early April is way too early for the bears to be out.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:28 PM

Default spring bear around edmonton..

hey, planning on doing a spot and stalk spring bear hunt around edmonton...just wondering where would be the closest area to edmonton where i would be almost guarenteed to see some action...thanks..
Old 03-14-2009, 11:07 PM

Default north

Lots of bears in and around slave lake, swan hills. Go to cut lines, hunt away.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:49 PM

thanks alot...