Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-23-2023, 11:19 AM

Default Floating the Smokey - Raft or drift boat

Thinking of making a plan for next fall to put in at the Grande Cache bridge and take out at the Sheep creek campground. Just wondering if this stretch has any dangers to look out for(doesn't seem too bad from driving the highway)? Also would it be suitable for a Hyde drift boat or if a raft would be better?
Thanks.
Old 10-25-2023, 07:17 PM

Do a search on here. Comes up every year.

You MIGHT get a raft down, but you should be physically able to do some wading and dragging. You also might get stuck and have to walk out. Depends on the day. You’re close enough to the highway all the way that it won’t be life threatening, just a long walk.

Take a serious rifle for the big furry unicorn bears “that don’t exist in Alberta” according to the government, they dump the problem ones from k-country in that neighborhood.
Old 10-26-2023, 11:11 PM

Such a big, mysterious turquoise river!
Drifting through the mine section, in September, would be sublime: an abrupt clash of resource extraction/industry vs. wilderness. And spectacular angling!

Go!
Old 11-20-2023, 01:50 PM

Easy float for a raft. May need to walk the boat around the Hell's Creek rapids at the gun range if water levels are low. I have personally done that float at least a dozen times in both large pontoon/rafts and single man inflatable boats.
Old 11-21-2023, 10:02 AM

How long would this float take? Seems like it would be a fun trip.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:22 PM
Banned

Seems fun af..
Old 11-29-2023, 10:28 AM

The float would take anywhere between 4-6 hours. All depends on how much time is spent fishing each run, pool, etc. The gate to the Sheep Creek campground is usually locked sometime around mid October, so late season floats would require carrying the boat out to the gate. I also wouldn't worry too much about dangerous wildlife, unless you plan on wandering away from you boat.
Old 11-30-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Do a search on here. Comes up every year.

You MIGHT get a raft down, but you should be physically able to do some wading and dragging. You also might get stuck and have to walk out. Depends on the day. You’re close enough to the highway all the way that it won’t be life threatening, just a long walk.

Take a serious rifle for the big furry unicorn bears “that don’t exist in Alberta” according to the government, they dump the problem ones from k-country in that neighborhood.
Have you been on this stretch of river before?
Old 11-30-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 oz Bucktail View Post
The float would take anywhere between 4-6 hours. All depends on how much time is spent fishing each run, pool, etc. The gate to the Sheep Creek campground is usually locked sometime around mid October, so late season floats would require carrying the boat out to the gate. I also wouldn't worry too much about dangerous wildlife, unless you plan on wandering away from you boat.

That's not bad. I have a FishCat Cougar would which would be perfect for this trip. I'll have to add this to the list.