Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2014, 10:13 PM

Yes to the 2 x TAGS!!!

Fact is, you have a base, where there are large closed areas, and often the elk stay in the closed area. You may have a whole hunt with one magical day where the elk are in the open area.

Some hunters get upset at not being given access to the areas a mere 1000 yards from the open area, where 1500 elk are sitting and watching for a whole DAY.

So, to ensure some numbers taken, let 2 tags go. Fact is, you will not get 600 taken anyways due to the percentage success rate. Even if you did get 1200 taken, with a situation like Suffield, it just means minimal growth in the next year.

Drewski
Old 10-23-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
I don't get why the military is so uncooperative with allowing hunting access? .....So with that said,WTF is the big deal with Suffield
The "big deal" with suffield is they have live exercises with active chemical weapon agents.... Which is not a common practice on army bases.

LC
Old 10-24-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The "big deal" with suffield is they have live exercises with active chemical weapon agents.... Which is not a common practice on army bases.

LC
Lefty, there is no military activity within the NWA.
At least there is not supposed to be.
This is where I think if you allowed restricted access, the pressure would get the herd dispersing. You could restrict it to seasons were the snakes were sleeping so not to endanger them and even if it only lasted a couple years, the elk would be be pressured. IMO, thats THE way to get them moving. You could even divide the areas into zones similar to wmu 300 with a, b, c or whatever to keep the hunters spread out throughout the area. Just my opinion.
There are just not enough elk being killed to control the growth.
You need around 1300/ yr just to keep pace with growth never mind reduce the herd and right now we are just not seeing enough cows klled outside the base.

Last edited by Flatlandliver; 10-24-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:34 AM

I was just pointing out that some military activity that occurs at Suffield is "special" or unique and different than what occurs on other bases.

Civilian hunting access is low on the list of priorities.

I agree the current "herd management" is doing diddly to manage the herds.

LC
Old 10-24-2014, 08:40 AM

The base is also home to DRDC.....
I've worked there....some interesting stuff they play with and that's just what I've seen.
Look it up.
It's unique to this base and probably the main reason access for hunting is a pain.
Has nothing to do with the NWA...but since the NWA is part of base...
These on base hunts are very controlled, something the military wants.
Foot access by literally hundreds of hunters is something they don't....after all access by foot could be by jet boat too.
Again the majority of guys coming down here to shoot....cull....whatever you want to call it are probably not going to be willing to hike into the sandhills for miles....and cart it out too.
They might try it once and then say f...k this.
That's reality....
Old 10-26-2014, 02:15 PM

Here is a landowner's perspective from near the base and maybe an idea for control.

I live across the river from the base on the east side. I personally own 3 quarters of land with my wife. Dad and I farm 2500 owned acres and an additional 2500 are rented. We have land right against the south edge of the grazing leases in the sandhills.

Throughout haying season we will see up to 8 bulls together on our own hayland that goes up against the lease land. Going into the fall, I saw a lot of crop damage. I have friends that have hayland right against the river that feeds a lot of elk year round. There aren't many (if any at all) that would deny access for controlling these introduced pests.

I read the proposal and think that a cull is a poor idea. There seem to be many hunters willing to harvest elk so why pay people to take them out when people will pay to do it? I see that there are problems with base access but we don't care about those.

A good friend has said he has watched elk at Waterton sit in the park for hunting season and as soon as it is over they are out and in the haystacks. They aren't dumb, and they also are creatures of habit. This can be seen watching them from the river hills as well.

I think that having extended hunting seasons would be ideal in the areas around the base. If we want them to stay on base for short term relief for landowners, we have to make sure that the seasons are not the same as always. We need a supplemental season while hay is growing so that the elk don't feel safe out of the confines of the base. Perhaps a June-July season in areas surrounding the base. Maybe not great for calving (elking???) but we are trying to manage a population, not increase the herd! Even if the summer season was just a bull season since they seem to roam far anyway that would be helpful.

I also think that the meat for the food bank has merit, but should be based on hunting and not a cull. I say that you get a tag for every elk you bring in to donate. If I am given one tag and choose to keep the meat, I don't get another until next year/season. However, if I harvest an elk and donate it, I receive another tag. Then I can either keep or donate the meat again. It incentivizes hunting and benefits the food bank. It also means less wastage because there is a place for the meat to go.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirschenman View Post
Here is a landowner's perspective from near the base and maybe an idea for control.

I live across the river from the base on the east side. I personally own 3 quarters of land with my wife. Dad and I farm 2500 owned acres and an additional 2500 are rented. We have land right against the south edge of the grazing leases in the sandhills.

Throughout haying season we will see up to 8 bulls together on our own hayland that goes up against the lease land. Going into the fall, I saw a lot of crop damage. I have friends that have hayland right against the river that feeds a lot of elk year round. There aren't many (if any at all) that would deny access for controlling these introduced pests.

I read the proposal and think that a cull is a poor idea. There seem to be many hunters willing to harvest elk so why pay people to take them out when people will pay to do it? I see that there are problems with base access but we don't care about those.

A good friend has said he has watched elk at Waterton sit in the park for hunting season and as soon as it is over they are out and in the haystacks. They aren't dumb, and they also are creatures of habit. This can be seen watching them from the river hills as well.

I think that having extended hunting seasons would be ideal in the areas around the base. If we want them to stay on base for short term relief for landowners, we have to make sure that the seasons are not the same as always. We need a supplemental season while hay is growing so that the elk don't feel safe out of the confines of the base. Perhaps a June-July season in areas surrounding the base. Maybe not great for calving (elking???) but we are trying to manage a population, not increase the herd! Even if the summer season was just a bull season since they seem to roam far anyway that would be helpful.

I also think that the meat for the food bank has merit, but should be based on hunting and not a cull. I say that you get a tag for every elk you bring in to donate. If I am given one tag and choose to keep the meat, I don't get another until next year/season. However, if I harvest an elk and donate it, I receive another tag. Then I can either keep or donate the meat again. It incentivizes hunting and benefits the food bank. It also means less wastage because there is a place for the meat to go.
A lot of good ideas there, but I still see no way around a major cull, done by the military. Just to many elk that are too smart for their own good.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-27-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I don't get why the military is so uncooperative with allowing hunting access?
I grew up/spent most of my life in NB,less then 20min from the boundary of CFB Gagetown,and spent hundreds(probly 1000+?)of days hunting,fishing,quadding,sledding on CFBG.
Might not be the best example anymore….

https://www.facebook.com/CanadianFor...185589?fref=nf

RESTRICTIONS ON RECREATIONAL USE OF BASE GAGETOWN RANGE AND TRAINING AREA
In light of the recent acts of violence against members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF), 5th Canadian Division Support Base (5 CDSB) Gagetown has increased its security measures.
Effective immediately, use of the Base Gagetown Range and Training Area for recreational purposes, including all hunting activities, will not be permitted until further notice.
Safety and operational concerns are paramount and the main consideration in all decisions related to recreational use of the Range and Training Area.
We acknowledge that this precaution may be disappointing to some but we thank the public for their understanding and support.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:10 PM

Default Sufficed priority?

Does anyone know what priority you need to be drawn in Suffield?
Old 11-11-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckstalker View Post
Does anyone know what priority you need to be drawn in Suffield?
[url]http://mywildalberta.com/hunting/HuntingDraws/HuntingDrawsReports/DrawsSummaryReport/documents/HuntingArchives/2014/Hunting-AntleredElk-DrawCode18-2014.pdf[/url

http://mywildalberta.com/hunting/HuntingDraws/HuntingDrawsReports/DrawsSummaryReport/documents/HuntingArchives/2014/Hunting-AntlerlessElk-DrawCode19-2014.pdf

The base is wmu732.

Last edited by Flatlandliver; 11-11-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
Another great hunting opportunity fixed by our know it all government.

Maybe they should put the Bison that they want to put in the Ya-Ha in the British block and elk back in the Ya-Ha.

Just seem that every year the government is trying to cut down our Alberta residents hunting opportunities.

There should be a controlled hunt similar to the Camp Wainwright.
I'm sure there is hunters out there that could use the meat or needy families could use it.

No lets shoot them out of a helicopter and use them for target practice.

TEH
why can't they have the same hunts as camp wainwright maybe i am missing something is it the same set up
Old 11-11-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
[url]http://mywildalberta.com/hunting/HuntingDraws/HuntingDrawsReports/DrawsSummaryReport/documents/HuntingArchives/2014/Hunting-AntleredElk-DrawCode18-2014.pdf[/url

http://mywildalberta.com/hunting/HuntingDraws/HuntingDrawsReports/DrawsSummaryReport/documents/HuntingArchives/2014/Hunting-AntlerlessElk-DrawCode19-2014.pdf

The base is wmu732.
Thanks so much!

Tags
elk, permission, wainwright