Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 06:45 PM

Default Times they are a changing ...

My two sons are now in their late thirties. When they were little guys I had an ancient wall tent that cost me $100 ( including a stove) set up beside a little creek way back in WMU 400.

I would put it up just before elk season and after work on Fridays we would load up all of the gear and an incredible amount of stuffed animals/toys and make the long drive back into the Shining Mountains.

The kids would promptly run over to the creek and play while we got camp fires going ... chopped wood, set up the sleeping bags .. etc ..

The meals were always fantastic ... the nights dark and full of stars ... There might even have been a dark rum or scotch shared with my lady and other hunting partners that would come in late ...

I can not remember the hunting being all that good. It isn't easy trying to shoot a bull elk on Saturdays .. but we tried and there were often grouse or snowshoe rabbits for hors d'oeuvres .. And I roamed the hills with my wonderful 8 Mag and bothered no one nor did anyone bother me ..

On Sunday morning I would gather up a bit of firewood for my home in the city and we would drive back that afternoon ... and I must admit those years were wonderful. The kids loved it ...

Eventually they got a bit older and I started hunting elk elsewhere ... Later my hunting camp was 9,000 miles away but I have the fondest memories of those years ..

This past summer I went for a bit of a drive back to the High Country. My entire life I have loved guns and I had the necessary permit to discharge a gun.

Also I carried a permit to camp off road. Every trail off the main road was barricaded.

New toilets had been installed along the roads in several places. Pretty fancy.

I also had a permit to bring back a bit of firewood. I love the smell of burning pine. With all the roads barricaded ... it would be a long haul to find a dead tree but eventually I found some ancient long dead tree a few hundred yards back in. I had a brand new chain saw with me. Over the years chain saws had given me grief so I decided a new one was the solution to long ago remembered grief.

It would not start. So that idea went out the window.

Things have changed since the eighties ...

A while back I went into the local gun shop and was told that some fellow had arrowed a bull elk during the archery season. He did not have a discharge permit and was charged along with the elk being seized ...

At one time, not all that long ago, I would have laughed at such a ridiculous story ...
Old 12-12-2017, 06:56 PM

sounds like you got to see the making of the new "castle resort and spa"
Old 12-12-2017, 10:22 PM

Great story it sad to see the ways things go at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2017, 12:37 AM
Banned

Chainsaws tuned at "City" elevation (~3000 ft ^ sea level) often have issues at "High Country" elevation (4500+ ft)...

Old 12-13-2017, 05:23 AM

What was Ab. population in the 80's, what is it now? To many people to enjoy the free for all we did in the 80's. Lots of people enjoying the out of doors in other ways than hunting now, that was pretty rare in the 80's. Lots of pressure on out natural resources that never happened in the 80's.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-13-2017, 05:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Remember when....make the most of today!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-13-2017, 06:57 AM

Just imagine what changes your father witnessed. The invention of the almighty ATV back in the late seventies was the greatest change that I’ve seen in the back woods.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:05 AM

Scruffy, the times are indeed changing. I've resisted getting my kids involved in hunting, I can't imagine I said that but it's true. instiling a love of the outdoors is a cruel thing to do to someone today, the places are vanishing and changing and some day the hunting we enjoy today will be a distant memory.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Just imagine what changes your father witnessed. The invention of the almighty ATV back in the late seventies was the greatest change that I’ve seen in the back woods.
My cousin and I were just talking hunting last night. Same things mentioned about our go to moose area between Whitecourt and Fox Creek. 4x4's got you back to the end of the old muddy roads. Argo was for hauling moose out. Then one day we hear put put put and this weird 3 wheeled thing came along, things did change due to atv's. Back then access wasn't like it is today with good roads, cut lines and leases. If you found a good area, the hunting was great. Ahhh the good ole days of moose hunting in the 80's with a general tag. The good areas are still there, just have to work a bit harder to find them & get away from the increase of hunters today.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Banned

What a wonderful description of exactly what happened to me as a kid in the mid 70’s. At this time of year, while watching my dad in his third year of palliative care, the memories that your post brings back near brings tears to my eyes, thanks for the reminders of those great times.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:49 AM

Thanks Scruffy,

I spent a lot time there in the 80-90's.

Can hardly face the thought that this is soon to be a commercialized attraction advertised all over the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Scruffy, the times are indeed changing. I've resisted getting my kids involved in hunting, I can't imagine I said that but it's true. instiling a love of the outdoors is a cruel thing to do to someone today, the places are vanishing and changing and some day the hunting we enjoy today will be a distant memory.

Holy Chef!

I hope your kids follow their soul's desire despite your attitude.

Have them give me a call.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-13-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
That is the craziest thing I have ever heard ! because things are not as they were when you were a kid is no reason to deny this of our next generation ,This is the problem with the new society ,the lack of introduction to great things .
Deny them an outdoor education though put then in hockey and buy them every electronic the I company makes is not helping them !
If your parents didn't show you the things you know because the world was changing where would we be now ,
Don't hold them back because of your own fears .Show them and let them decide on their own what is best ,Only then can things change into what we deem great again.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:58 AM

so would you say that the opportunities now for outdoor activities and hunting are better than they were in the 70's and 80's, or is it harder to have the same experience? i think that is what the point is here.

take reducing access and random camping from the Castle area. Hunting has not "officially" been restricted, but its my opinion that a draw system will soon be implemented(like kananaskis), again restricting activities.

the one comment is that if this is the direction things continue, there will be no opportunities left in the future for the next generation.. some naysayers keep saying it will never happen. to late. it is happening.

correct me if i'm wrong, but that is the jist of this topic, and some posts worry that this activity/lifestyle will only get more and more restricted. i'm one of those.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
What was Ab. population in the 80's, what is it now? To many people to enjoy the free for all we did in the 80's. Lots of people enjoying the out of doors in other ways than hunting now, that was pretty rare in the 80's. Lots of pressure on out natural resources that never happened in the 80's.
Early 80's was around 2million... today we sit around 4million I believe.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
so would you say that the opportunities now for outdoor activities and hunting are better than they were in the 70's and 80's, or is it harder to have the same experience? i think that is what the point is here.

take reducing access and random camping from the Castle area. Hunting has not "officially" been restricted, but its my opinion that a draw system will soon be implemented(like kananaskis), again restricting activities.

the one comment is that if this is the direction things continue, there will be no opportunities left in the future for the next generation.. some naysayers keep saying it will never happen. to late. it is happening.

correct me if i'm wrong, but that is the jist of this topic, and some posts worry that this activity/lifestyle will only get more and more restricted. i'm one of those.
Playing devils advocate for fun

With Albertas population over double what it was in 1975, everyone having ATV's, better access, better tools (trail cams, internet, scopes, tripod rests etc etc etc), more hunters then ever before, and a diminishing habitat and wildlife population... if it doesn't see more restrictions... will hunting even be viable 25years from now?
Old 12-13-2017, 12:34 PM

Growing up in Fort McMurray (36 years spent) i can attest to changing times. In the 80's I remember sharptail hunting at the old Alsands lease sight north of McMurray which is now CNRL (Albian Sands). There were sharptails for miles and miles. Every fall moose hunting success was found close to town right behind Abasand Heights. I would carry my Savage 99c in .308 Winchester and walk down Father Mercredi Street, passed Kurt 505's house and say hi to the fellas catching the Suncor bus all the while, slung and loaded for bear or for whatever and cross the Clearwater River at first ice and not come home till dark at 14 years old.

Before i left Fort Mcmurray my childhood spots were infiltrated with people that both didn't respect the town or my favourite hunting and fishing areas. It left a sour taste in my mouth as i knew how things used to be and realized those days were gone. My last Moose kill was in WMU 530 in 2002 which is now smack dab in the middle of the CNRL mine now and at that time with all the traffic in the bush that moose kill was most likely a fluke and that little bull wasnt destined to live past that fall i dont think with the large influx of hunters in the area. Wasnt a hard decision to leave behind the same town i grew up in since 1972.

I am thankfull that my new hunting spots in the last 14 years have less hunter traffic. This past fall i only got out 7 or 8 times but i am thankful that i only saw a handful of hunters and that was mostly on the main roads before the hike in. I am not sure what the future holds for the next generation in regards to game popluations or access but i am somewhat relieved that my children dont have a whole lot of interest or passion in hunting as i dont see a bright future in this past time or sport anymore and i would hate for my kids to have such a passion for it like i did at a young age only to be let down. Our game being mismanaged by politicians and the steady influx of more people into this province which means more encroachment on crown land does not bode well for our outdoor pastimes.

Last edited by 1899b; 12-13-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:33 PM

Thanks for sharing scruffy.

We still harvest game like the good old days.

The trick that works for us is going to areas "not that far" that humans over look.
Trees that are thick, limited access by foot only, and places that past hunter gathers have given up on. We call these areas "Deal Brakers". Kinda like a dead end wall.

No one shows up because they like the roads and trails, this might be do to getting a shot off.
Totally understandable since we harvested game this way.

Something changed, we changed, so this year we pulled out the stops and headed strait into the thick of things.
Game trails galore, no trucks or ohvs. nill for humans, and what a find.

Are these deadend areas productive, purhaps, do they offer freedoms as well as challanges,,, sure they do.
Do they represent Harvesting game like Northern Ontario or Labrador,,, yes.

Not to far West is a place called "the thick of things," it is there for those that choose to go.
Is it worth it.

My friend and I don't really know since we gathered 1 think skin and 3 regulars this season.
Sure it would of been nice to see dragons and monsters that we " occasionally" got limited glimpses of.

I didn't really matter since our goal was just being out there.

The closed gate we ran into was a gate of huge large timbers that dared us to enter at our own will.

We had our head shaking moments at times let me say, but my long time oldtimer friend is like a D8 push cat that still has drive even though he has challanges in his life.

His drive feed me to push my own limits this year.
The quest to return to the good old days.

They are still there, it is our job to force our selves into them.

The only time my iron friend joins me now is when I reach these walls and dead ends, it is beyond there where I choose to partake in the quest of harvest.

Just like those old days.

Western Canada Don
Old 12-13-2017, 03:49 PM

I remember our family 4x4'ing into Jackson lake (now Lakeland pp). My mom, dad, me and my 2 sisters and a pack of shelties.
Our camp was a wall tent and a fly over the kitchen.
I still remember the first trikes I saw ride in there. The incredulous looks of these 3 guys covered head to toe in mud seeing a truck and kids and dogs everywhere...'how the h did you get in here???'
We still go in as a family, the whole extended group of us, at least once a year. We don't camp way over where we used to, too much work to ferry all the gear and people over. The old sweet spots on the lake still hold some nice fish. I caught my pb walleye on Kinnard the year before last, and we saw a family of otters for the first time this last summer. The place still holds some surprises. As long as there is something to look forward to, I will keep going with my kids.
We will be taking a special winter sled trip in there this year...if there's enough snow.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:37 PM

Imagine what it was like in the 40's! They would have scoffed at you ruining the experience by bringing a truck anywhere near those mountains.

Used to be a time when a man could get away from it all with his horse...