Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2020, 08:25 PM

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
In rural Alberta everybody knows everybody. So they make you take that breathalyzer in front of everyone even though they know your sober. Everybody is going to be gossiping about you! There will be a gazillion stories told about you and the damage is done.
How would you like to be put on it in front of your home or workplace where everybody knows you?
This happened 20 miles from their farm, near Didsbury. They do custom farming. If somebody did see it, they would have a good laugh at a fundamentalist Christian blowing the breathalyzer.

Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
What Facebook post?
GoFundMe
Leussink Farms Justice Campaign
Please guys, read this before any more negative comments.
Thanks
Old 08-11-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I refer to them as the Sundre chapter of Free Men on the land. Friend of mine, who just happens to be the Reeve, now has gates on his property, after about a dozen Leussinks mobbed him over displeasure that the county outlawed signs along the highway. They stood to lose 6000. in fees. Assault charges were contemplated. Attended the annual meeting of our local gas coop to see a twentiesh age woman at the buffet line , wearing a hunting knife with about an 8 ' blade over her dress. I said, you must be a Leussink ? Oh, how did you know ? This is their handiwork as well, in Sundre town limits, so apparently allowed.

Not much sympathy from a lot of folks, the family reminds me of the Pilgrim clan that came to a bad end in Alaska about 20 years ago, when it came out Papa was a little to close with his daughters. They're on Facebook soliciting donations for the kid's defense. One comment was, they'll probably just use it to buy a truck.

Yep. They are a storied clan. I’ve dealt with them enough times to decide that I won’t do so anymore.
They certainly don’t need the Go Fund Me dollars.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 08-11-2020, 08:28 PM

I think it's probably payback for avoiding the check stop after he was already in line.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
In rural Alberta everybody knows everybody. So they make you take that breathalyzer in front of everyone even though they know your sober. Everybody is going to be gossiping about you! There will be a gazillion stories told about you and the damage is done.
How would you like to be put on it in front of your home or workplace where everybody knows you?
Grizzly Adams could this be payback because of the sign issue?

Replied to this post^^^
Old 08-11-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I refer to them as the Sundre chapter of Free Men on the land. Friend of mine, who just happens to be the Reeve, now has gates on his property, after about a dozen Leussinks mobbed him over displeasure that the county outlawed signs along the highway. They stood to lose 6000. in fees. Assault charges were contemplated. Attended the annual meeting of our local gas coop to see a twentiesh age woman at the buffet line , wearing a hunting knife with about an 8 ' blade over her dress. I said, you must be a Leussink ? Oh, how did you know ? This is their handiwork as well, in Sundre town limits, so apparently allowed.

Not much sympathy from a lot of folks, the family reminds me of the Pilgrim clan that came to a bad end in Alaska about 20 years ago, when it came out Papa was a little to close with his daughters. They're on Facebook soliciting donations for the kid's defense. One comment was, they'll probably just use it to buy a truck.
Slander
Totally unrelated issues
Farm boy attacked by police has nothing to do with incest in Alaska.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:

We had a clan around here of some interesting folks, used to blow up gas wells and such. Some local girl got shot on their driveway if I remember correctly. Sometimes it's better to socialize a bit more with your community, try and be a better neighbor.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-11-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
I have to agree with this.
When young I did farm work etc. Were I in a stalled line of vehicles adjacent to the field I was supposed to be working I absolutely would have turned into the field. Why does that not make sense?

Osky
Exactly...
Old 08-11-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
This happened 20 miles from their farm, near Didsbury. They do custom farming. If somebody did see it, they would have a good laugh at a fundamentalist Christian blowing the breathalyzer.

Grizz
Do you think it could be political payback for the signs?
Old 08-11-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
Slander
Totally unrelated issues
Farm boy attacked by police has nothing to do with incest in Alaska.
No, I meant they are a very tight knit large family, of self serving fundamentalist Christians, who operate as they see fit, with little care about others and they've alienated the community in a similar way. The incest part is irrelevant, you're right, but that's what finally unraveled the Alaska cult.

https://www.amazon.ca/Pilgrims-Wilde...ag=googcana-20

Grizz
Old 08-11-2020, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
If it is your own field and your going to work it, I’d drive into as well rather than be in a line up to get to my own field that I’m already at!!!
For sure! I don’t think that the one side of the story is entirely accurate or complete though. I also doubt that the Sheriff’s version is as cut and dried as they would like people to believe.

The picture of the tractor on the road as opposed to in the field makes me wonder. Then again, when an incident like this involves Sheriffs who are basically Peace Officers with provincial jurisdiction, I have to wonder what was said and done when the young fella stopped the tractor for them. Maybe some wannabe was bored with doing menial law enforcement duties and became overzealous looking for some more exciting Police work?

If it goes to trial I hope that an unbiased witness gets to testify. I’ll believe what they have to say.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:19 PM

It might be political payback because of the signs. I dont think they would go after anybody else except for Christians.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
It might be political payback because of the signs. I dont think they would go after anybody else except for Christians.
I don’t get your point?

Are you saying the Sheriff's are singling out Christians?
Old 08-11-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Where are you getting your info from? The article states differently.

“Clinton says his brother was getting impatient with a line of vehicles and drove into the ditch to enter his next field of work when sheriffs surrounded him, demanding he take a breathalyzer.”
Calgary Herald describes it differently.

Quote:
Jeremia’s older brother, Clinton, said after seeing multiple cars lined up on the highway and in a hurry to make the most of a sunny day to tend to their crops, Jeremia drove his tractor into the ditch to enter the field, bypassing the checkstop.

Clinton said the sheriffs approached the tractor and asked Jeremia to blow in a breathalyzer.

He said Jeremia explained he was trying to get to a nearby field and that he was in a hurry, adding a short conversation ensued before the sheriffs started trying to pull him out of the tractor “with no explanation at all.”
Old 08-11-2020, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
Calgary Herald describes it differently.
Yeah, I read that one as well as a couple of others, Sporty. What I was referring to was the following comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
They drove around the lineup for the checkstop into the field then refused to get out of the tractor when asked by the Leo's.
No where does it say anything about him driving around the lineup and I was calling the author out for fake news. According to news articles he took the ditch to AVOID the lineup.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I first thought so too
But it doesn't make sense
They couldn't know that he was a Christian
They arrested him for refusing the breathalyzer test and that was his own fault.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:07 PM

I had no idea there has been that many abortions in Canada. Wow
Old 08-11-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
GoFundMe
Leussink Farms Justice Campaign
Please guys, read this before any more negative comments.
Thanks
This is quite the write up and well worth the read. Everyone should read this before commenting. Will be interesting to see what the outcome over this whole ordeal ends up. But like every story there are 2 sides.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
I had no idea there has been that many abortions in Canada. Wow
90,000 a year, approximately. Worldwide something like 40-50 million a year, according to WHO. Figure 125,000 daily. More or less.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-11-2020, 10:14 PM

HunterDave, The Calgary Herald article states the following: Jeremia drove his tractor into the ditch to enter the field, bypassing the checkstop.

How about this scenario. A cop is checking one vehicle at a time, asking if the drivers had anything to drink, a regular routine. The cop sees a vehicle driving in the ditch and entering the adjacent field. The cops pull the vehicle over and ask the driver for his breath. The guy say he won’t because he is really trying to get the most of daylight in order to work the field, which happened to be where the checkstop is. The cops say they sure understand and drive away. Ridiculous, right? How is this any different? Also, if he came down from the vehicle, he wouldn’t have to be taken down, right? Probably right. Who cares if he is an alcoholic or never had a drink in his life. How is that relevant?
Old 08-11-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
This is quite the write up and well worth the read. Everyone should read this before commenting. Will be interesting to see what the outcome over this whole ordeal ends up. But like every story there are 2 sides.
Very interesting
But I can't believe that an 18 year old boy doesn't know what a breathalyzer is.
Would like to hear both sides of the story.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Very interesting
But I can't believe that an 18 year old boy doesn't know what a breathalyzer is.
Would like to hear both sides of the story.
If he is home schooled and part of a strict religious group/cult, it's quite possible that he has never heard of a breathalyzer. And we don't know if he has an operators license or not, he may have no clue as to the Traffic Safety
Act.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
I read it, and a couple things stick out. One, he doesn't even have a driver's license. What? So what is he doing operating a piece of farm machinery on the highway? Is that even legal, I really don't know?

And the other thing is, when the police ask you to step out of your vehicle....probably shouldn't say No! I'm not for the police demanding a breathalyzer without cause, but that's another argument. It has caused much grief for innocent people....but if they tell you to get out of your vehicle, best not to be explaining how busy you are and how important your work is or whatever. Just get out of the vehicle, and comply. Thats your best bet to get through it and be on your way.

And also, the brother trying to take the tractor and unload it 'because the police had no right to impound it'. Really? Again, not sure of all the particulars of the Traffic act, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be assuming that they had no legal right, and just take it off the trailer because.

Sounds like they need to pay for their own lawyer. And then if they are in the right, they can also sue to get the transmission fixed. Or they can fix it themselves. And next time the young fellow gets pulled over, he should probably do more listening then talking.

I think he could have got through that whole situation with a different attitude.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I read it, and a couple things stick out. One, he doesn't even have a driver's license. What? So what is he doing operating a piece of farm machinery on the highway? Is that even legal, I really don't know?

And the other thing is, when the police ask you to step out of your vehicle....probably shouldn't say No! I'm not for the police demanding a breathalyzer without cause, but that's another argument. It has caused much grief for innocent people....but if they tell you to get out of your vehicle, best not to be explaining how busy you are and how important your work is or whatever. Just get out of the vehicle, and comply. Thats your best bet to get through it and be on your way.

And also, the brother trying to take the tractor and unload it 'because the police had no right to impound it'. Really? Again, not sure of all the particulars of the Traffic act, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be assuming that they had no legal right, and just take it off the trailer because.

Sounds like they need to pay for their own lawyer. And then if they are in the right, they can also sue to get the transmission fixed. Or they can fix it themselves. And next time the young fellow gets pulled over, he should probably do more listening then talking.

I think he could have got through that whole situation with a different attitude.
You obviously didn't grow up in a farming community, it's quite common for youths much younger than 18 to be operating farm equipment on public roads without operators licenses. And if the posts about the family belonging to a strict religious group are correct, I am not at all surprised that he doesn't have an operators license. And some people that grow up in different settings are not as worldly as most city people are. They may have no exposure to police, and some don't trust them.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I read that one as well as a couple of others, Sporty. What I was referring to was the following comment:

No where does it say anything about him driving around the lineup and I was calling the author out for fake news. According to news articles he took the ditch to AVOID the checkstop
Fixed it

Once again.. what was the lineup for? That would be a pretty big coincidence that the entrance to his field was right where the lineup started.. Even weirder that the video shows him on a paved road. Hmm. Funny how their "story" doesn't add up. But hey, Continue on Dave.. I hear Farmer Boys are hiring.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You obviously didn't grow up in a farming community, it's quite common for youths much younger than 18 to be operating farm equipment on public roads without operators licenses. And if the posts about the family belonging to a strict religious group are correct, I am not at all surprised that he doesn't have an operators license. And some people that grow up in different settings are not as worldly as most city people are. They may have no exposure to police, and some don't trust them.
Obviously? Well yeah I did. And drove the old IH loaded with sugar beets to Taber from Purple Springs when I was 14, not even a learners. And so on. That was a long time ago. All kinds of things were ok then. Lots of drunks on the road too.

And I've had lots of experience around fundamental religious groups, I'm well aware of their ideas about obeying God's laws, and that man's laws weren't written for them. And that's where the problems start.

Anyway. Just because it happens, doesn't mean it's legal.

The Sheriff's could have also dealt with it much differently, as I said in my first post, some common sense from both parties would have saved a lot of trouble.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Fixed it

Once again.. what was the lineup for? That would be a pretty big coincidence that the entrance to his field was right where the lineup started.. Even weirder that the video shows him on a paved road. Hmm. Funny how their "story" doesn't add up. But hey, Continue on Dave.. I hear Farmer Boys are hiring.
Who cares what the line up was for?
Who cares where the access was?
Who cares where the tractor was in the video?
Who cares if their story doesn’t add up?

You stated that he passed a line up of cars which wasn’t reported in any of the news reports = Fake news. What was reported is that he took the ditch to enter a field. Why make things up?

Yes, I will be helping my Son in Law with the harvest. I’d like to witness you calling him or one of his brothers farmer boys. That’d be highly entertaining.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
The Sheriff's could have also dealt with it much differently, as I said in my first post, some common sense from both parties would have saved a lot of trouble.
I’d bet this as the most likely of scenarios.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Obviously? Well yeah I did. And drove the old IH loaded with sugar beets to Taber from Purple Springs when I was 14, not even a learners. And so on. That was a long time ago. All kinds of things were ok then. Lots of drunks on the road too.

And I've had lots of experience around fundamental religious groups, I'm well aware of their ideas about obeying God's laws, and that man's laws weren't written for them. And that's where the problems start.

Anyway. Just because it happens, doesn't mean it's legal.

Well its still legal for a 14 year old to operate a farm implement on a roadway in Alberta.