Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 02:07 PM

Default Issue insuring a cab and chassis truck

Cut a deal with a buddy to buy his 2007 Chev 3500. It is a crew cab with a flat deck on it. Was originally a service truck. He had it fully insured and registered.

I go to insure it today and my broker couldn’t find the VIN in their system. I said well not sure what the problem is, maybe because it is a cab and chassis truck? She ok let me talk to your insurance company. They came back and said because they deem it to be a commercial vehicle, they can only offer me PLPD. Would not even give me comprehensive (all I really care about is PLPD and then theft+hail).

Anyone encountered this before? Maybe time to switch insurance companies? I am with Intact.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:53 PM

See if you can register it as a pick up; not sure of the exact process but I think it can be done as I saw a Peterbilt 379 that still had three axles and was registered as a light truck for pulling a camper.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-22-2020, 05:21 PM

Sorry to hear your bad news but that is a load of BS. My dad bought a cab/chassis with flat deck a couple of years ago and had no problems getting insurance. We have one guy at work that lives in the city has a flat deck on his truck. Also, lots of farmers out there with bale decks and flat decks on trucks for the work they do.

I would look at the VIN number. Make sure it matches the number in the lower corner of the windshield. Make sure the paperwork is correct. Than ask if your broker screwed up entering it into the system.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
Sorry to hear your bad news but that is a load of BS. My dad bought a cab/chassis with flat deck a couple of years ago and had no problems getting insurance. We have one guy at work that lives in the city has a flat deck on his truck. Also, lots of farmers out there with bale decks and flat decks on trucks for the work they do.

I would look at the VIN number. Make sure it matches the number in the lower corner of the windshield. Make sure the paperwork is correct. Than ask if your broker screwed up entering it into the system.
VIN and paperwork is correct. You would almost never guess the truck is a factory cab and chassis, it’s a crew cab truck in the colour burgundy with the rear axle positioned same length as a regular 8’ truck bed axle. It is a single rear wheel also. I literally think it was factory ordered with nothing more than a pick up box delete and that caused it to be deemed an “incomplete vehicle” and thus commercial in the eyes of the insurance co.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:49 PM

Ive had problems just like you, with both my old cab chassis buys. They couldn’t find the vin and I said well it started as a cab /chassis truck. They did something and it worked out, didn’t say I could only insure PLPD or not. But I insured them and not under a commercial company either.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:53 PM

We had to get a deck from a registered company to make it a complete truck for insurance and registration purposes. We tried to have a custom deck built on a new 2019 1 ton cab and chassis but they wouldn't recognize it at the registry. We had to purchase a manufactured deck instead.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Ive had problems just like you, with both my old cab chassis buys. They couldn’t find the vin and I said well it started as a cab /chassis truck. They did something and it worked out, didn’t say I could only insure PLPD or not. But I insured them and not under a commercial company either.
Well good to hear I am not the only one because that is exactly what I was told also.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:34 PM

A cab chassis is a incomplete vehicle. Once it is completed there needs to be a NSM sticker applied by who ever installed the deck to certify it as a completed vehicle.

This still shouldn't have any bearing on the insurance.

If it isn't being used for commercial purposes and it is just for personal use the insurance should be no issue. Shop around if I were you.