Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
General and General International went out of business a couple of years ago. You can get some parts through KMS or Canadian Woodworker.
General didn't make anything. They just farmed out the tools they sold to a manufacturing company in China. More than a few of the saws that are painted different colors and sold under different names are the same saw. Off the top of my head, Jet is the same saw.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:09 PM

I've got the same Delta hybrid cabinet saw as TireBob has...used 12 years ago. Very accurate with the Biesemeyer rip fence and it does everything I want to do with a table saw. The enclosed base makes it easy to hook up a decent dust collector and not have too much sawdust to pick up.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
General didn't make anything. They just farmed out the tools they sold to a manufacturing company in China. More than a few of the saws that are painted different colors and sold under different names are the same saw. Off the top of my head, Jet is the same saw.
General made high quality woodworking machinery in Quebec. The General International Brand was made in Taiwan for years and eventually many components were made in China. Many brands such as Jet and Grizzly came out of the same factory/s. Big difference in quality and price between General and General International. Both gone now.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:32 AM

I took a Dewat and removed all of the protection, That was forty years ago. I spent 4 1/2 years in a program called Woodworking Machine Programer then they delisted it. Still have all my fingers and I never had an accident, that I am aware of. Is this what I would recommend? NO. I have a joiner, thickest planner, table saw and a drill press, and a Dewaft cut off saw that uses a toogle switch, the last switch is gone, and I have all my fingers, DUH!!!!!! You look for something to go wrong, and it does, but you are prepared for it. Nothing else to say.

Last edited by Rastus; 09-25-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:56 AM

Table saw is all about it being square and repeatable - the quality of the fence is very important.
Spend more, buy better.
Cheap Chinese is an exercise in futility.
Best table saw that I ever used was Wadkin Bursgreen - a dream machine.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:23 AM

Deleted double post
Old 09-25-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Table saw is all about it being square and repeatable - the quality of the fence is very important.
Spend more, buy better.
Cheap Chinese is an exercise in futility.
Best table saw that I ever used was Wadkin Bursgreen - a dream machine.
Pretty much all tablesaws are made in China or Taiwan other than some European ones like Felder now.

They build them to customers spec. Some are very good and some not so. Do your research. Harvey out of China makes a very good saw. Sawstop is also made in China.

Older saws are good but most don't have a riving knife which is the next best thing to having a Sawstop from a safety standpoint.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
General made high quality woodworking machinery in Quebec. The General International Brand was made in Taiwan for years and eventually many components were made in China. Many brands such as Jet and Grizzly came out of the same factory/s. Big difference in quality and price between General and General International. Both gone now.
I hadn't realized that General and General International were 2 different companies.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:58 PM

Ended up buying a Stallion off of Kijiji for what I would have bought the dewalt for so couldn’t turn it down.

https://www.canadianwoodworker.com/w...get=CWI-T1002L

It weights a ton, pain to load in the truck. But one solid saw, fence is great as well.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:29 PM

Good for you! Got what you want!
Old 09-26-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
Ended up buying a Stallion off of Kijiji for what I would have bought the dewalt for so couldn’t turn it down.

https://www.canadianwoodworker.com/w...get=CWI-T1002L

It weights a ton, pain to load in the truck. But one solid saw, fence is great as well.
There's a key point to any good table saw ....... the fence .... how it locks, how it adjusts and how accurate and smooth it is.

I am amazed how sloppy some fences can be on some pretty pricey saws in the big box stores.