Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
I'm thinking cause we are short of seals and icebergs
well im thinkin we must be short on something for bass because.... well... they are not here either....
Old 09-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
If smallmouth are that popular, you'd think Vancouver Island would be overrun. Last few times I've been out there I haven't run into a single bass fisherman...lots of guys fishing for trout but not bass.
Are you kidding Bass could put Alberta on the map
Old 09-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
anybody take a stab at why we dont relocate polar bears to alberta?....... because it would be stupid, expensive, unneccesary, they might not survive, and they might throw the ecosystem out of whack should they survive..... hey.... thats very similar to the bass of this thread..... or do you think we need polar bears? 1 more specie to hunt...... maybe not such a bad idea..... lmao!!!! i kill myself!!!!
I alway said i would not put someone on ignore don't make me want to change my mind
Old 09-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
I was speaking to your comment about The Fishing Geeks.

I doubt you'd see a marginal smallmouth fishery attract much economic boom. The folks on Vancouver Island aren't getting rich and that is a world-class smallmouth fishery.
It is hard to compete with a huge salt water fishery
alberta does not have that competition a bass fishery would be a win
Old 09-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
well im thinkin we must be short on something for bass because.... well... they are not here either....
Well there was 11 other species that were not here before but are now and i bet you enjoy catching at least couple of them
Old 09-12-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
alberta does not have that competition a bass fishery would be a win
I always thought what an economic bost it would be to campgrounds and such around Eagle lake if Bass where introduced there, it is a stale old lake that could use some new juice.

Last edited by Jorg; 09-12-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:07 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Are you kidding Bass could put Alberta on the map
Now that was funny.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Kind of like competing against a world class trout fishery......lol

Bass aren't even on the radar on the Island...let alone competing. The interest just isn't there other than from small groups. It would be no different here. People aren't going to flock to Alberta for a mediocre bass fishery. There are countless great ones to choose from across North America.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
yup we have very limited amounts of water bodies in Alberta so lets introduce more species so we can divide it up further.

maybe it works out maybe it doesnt. I dont think its worth the risk. Dont have to travel that far to get to them anyway. And it makes for a nice trip!

PS - I like fishing for them also!
Your thinking about lakes. Look at our drainage basins. We have a large number of rivers i this province that would be, if we did not introduce any species athabasca rainbows, bull trout, lake sturgeon and for the sake of arguement northern pike. The rest were put into our rivers in the early 1900s if i remember correctly. and those fish have adapted very well in our rivers. what is affecting our rivers is not species related as to pollution. I mean yes, in some instances there is conflict but you see that more in the lakes than in the rivers.
You have to remember also that its not just humans adding unwanted fish into other habitats, its birds, mammals. they deposit eggs from one body of water to another so we get this happening naturally as well.
When biologists pick a lake to introduce a new species into it, there is a lot of research that goes into it, they dont just do it and see how it unfolds. I have no problem with them introducing grass carp, or small mouth bass into island lake. why not? do you know how many people fish in this province? lets face it, without re-introductions and introducing new species of fish into the ecosystem there wouldnt be any fish left. thats not to mention winter kill as well. so when you say you are against it, you are also saying you are against putting fish back into a lake that winter killed because the native fish have all but died. so it would be a non-native batch that would be added.
I agree with you to a certain extent, that mixing certain species in a lake is stupid. mixing perch and rainbows for example. im against that. what ends up happening is the perch eat the rainbow eggs and because of the sharp spine on the perch's dorsal area the rainbows choke on the fish or it kills the rainbow if they try to eat it. All in all, I completely disagree, to a certain point.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme hunter10 View Post
Your thinking about lakes. Look at our drainage basins. We have a large number of rivers i this province that would be, if we did not introduce any species athabasca rainbows, bull trout, lake sturgeon and for the sake of arguement northern pike. The rest were put into our rivers in the early 1900s if i remember correctly. and those fish have adapted very well in our rivers.
face palm.......so walleye, perch, goldeye, burbot, mooneye, sauger, whitefish, blah blah blah...... are all introduced fish to alberta? facepalm. Horse....youve hurt my feelers! I dont want to be on anybodys ignore list!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
I alway said i would not put someone on ignore don't make me want to change my mind
sorry, didnt realize you were pro polar bear.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Well there was 11 other species that were not here before but are now and i bet you enjoy catching at least couple of them
not so much really, I only target pike, perch, and eyes.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
lol.... funniest post of the year son. those are the facts........ lol.
Why is that post funny? gettin too much of the wackey tobacky? ??? sorry, I dont see the humor in that post.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
face palm.......so walleye, perch, goldeye, burbot, mooneye, sauger, whitefish, blah blah blah...... are all introduced fish to alberta? facepalm. Horse....youve hurt my feelers! I dont want to be on anybodys ignore list!
Walleye, perch were introduced from ontario east, eastern slope cutthroat were brought in from colorado and wyoming.
ya, so i missed whitefish and burbot. I believe mooneye/goldeye were introduced as well. Either way the point is that most of the fish we fish for were introduced. Im sure we can agree with that.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
PS it wasn't you who wrote that article was it...lol
Probably wasnt sheep, it wasnt about slip bobbers.... just kidding sheep.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Walleye, perch were introduced from ontario east, eastern slope cutthroat were brought in from colorado and wyoming.
ya, so i missed whitefish and burbot. I believe mooneye/goldeye were introduced as well. Either way the point is that most of the fish we fish for were introduced. Im sure we can agree with that.
Ummmm no!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:20 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo2 View Post
Probably wasnt sheep, it wasnt about slip bobbers.... just kidding sheep.
Hey, I occasionally write about crankbaits too
Old 09-13-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Why is that post funny? gettin too much of the wackey tobacky? ??? sorry, I dont see the humor in that post.
why is the post funny? gettin too much wacky tobaccy? i dont see the humour in this post.
its funny because its funny.
not enough.
the humour is ........... your dead wrong and have been misinformed.
sorry, i realize your probably a young feller but when you are wrong on this site be prepared to be called on it. happy hunting and fishing.

Last edited by pickrel pat; 09-13-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:32 AM

Admin should just lock this **** and get it over with. Although it's funny seeing horsetrader's lame comebacks..... I just don't know how some people live here on earth but seem so far away from it.

The whole bass idea is riding on people who do illegal and retarded things. This would be a cool idea if people wouldn't transfer them. They're bass....... they'd be illegally introduced everywhere if they started stocking them. That's my only beef with bass. I wanna fish for them like everyone else does but you guys aren't getting the point that this isn't about YOU or anyone else who abides by the law. Everyone here knows if they started a few bass lakes they'd be spread throughout the province in no time.

Last edited by Christofficer; 09-13-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Walleye and perch from Ontario?

I don't think so, but your welcome to give us a link that indicates the same.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofficer View Post
Everyone here knows if they started a few bass lakes they'd be spread throughout the province in no time.
But I thought Bass wouldnt live in our lakes here, or very few of the lakes and rivers here anyways, so if they did spread they would die off soon after they left their original stocked water.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
your welcome to give us a link that indicates the same.
He should give you the same link you gave everyone else from another state that has very little relivance here.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
He should give you the same link you gave everyone else from another state that has very little relivance here.

this link?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmyzF...eature=related
Old 09-13-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
But I thought Bass wouldnt live in our lakes here, or very few of the lakes and rivers here anyways, so if they did spread they would die off soon after they left their original stocked water.
Then what's the point of stocking them? reverse psychology doesn't work here matey. Either make a good point or be quiet.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:09 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Either way it sounds dangerous or a waste of money.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Either way it sounds dangerous or a waste of money.
Coming from a guy who hunts Grizzley bear at close range...lol

Congrats to you and your better half.....great animal
Old 09-13-2011, 02:14 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Coming from a guy who hunts Grizzley bear at close range...lol

Congrats to you and your better half.....great animal
LOL...thanks!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Then what's the point of stocking them? reverse psychology doesn't work here matey. Either make a good point or be quiet.
For the same reason they have stocked rainbows for years and years
I will say it slow for you ITS A PUT AND TAKE FISHERY.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:24 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
For the same reason they have stocked rainbows for years and years
I will say it slow for you ITS A PUT AND TAKE FISHERY.
Why should we put our current fisheries at risk and spend additional funds for another put and take fishery? What's the upside to this? What am I missing?
Old 09-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Admin should just lock this **** and get it over with. Although it's funny seeing horsetrader's lame comebacks..... I just don't know how some people live here on earth but seem so far away from it.
It always amazes me how when i person can't get his own way he wants the thread closed reminds me of the little kids( your not playing fair i'm going to take my ball and go home)

The whole bass idea is riding on people who do illegal and retarded things. This would be a cool idea if people wouldn't transfer them. They're bass....... they'd be illegally introduced everywhere if they started stocking them. That's my only beef with bass. I wanna fish for them like everyone else does but you guys aren't getting the point that this isn't about YOU or anyone else who abides by the law. Everyone here knows if they started a few bass lakes they'd be spread throughout the province in no time.
I don't see were you get off calling any one RETARDED If you HAD any credibility which you don't you would have lost it there. Instead now you are just the ramblings of a spoiled child.