Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-19-2009, 02:22 PM

Strangest one for me was 2 small jacks on one treble hook, one on one prong and one on another at Steepbank Lake. It was a Len Thompson five of diamonds if I remember correctly. Two fish - one cast. I also landed a jack on a spoon with the hook completely removed. It just clamped on and didn't let go until we got him in the net. Same lake.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Strangest one for me was 2 small jacks on one treble hook, one on one prong and one on another at Steepbank Lake. It was a Len Thompson five of diamonds if I remember correctly. Two fish - one cast. I also landed a jack on a spoon with the hook completely removed. It just clamped on and didn't let go until we got him in the net. Same lake.
They don't let go for anything. When I first started fishing, I landed a pike...didn't know how slimy it would be. She twisted, I freaked, ended up dropping in her between some boulders. The hole was just big enough to fit her body, I couldn't get my hand past her mouth. So finally I stuck the butt of my rod in her mouth, she clamped shut and I pulled her to safety. Getting her to let go of my rod is another story.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:47 PM

If anyone pulls a tip up out from the south west side of Coal. Mine got dragged in there on Monday.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornsy View Post
If anyone pulls a tip up out from the south west side of Coal. Mine got dragged in there on Monday.
Is this Josh ?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:05 PM

A seagull took my brother's shrimp bait when we were fishing off a pier in Galveston. The seagull skimmed the water for half the length of the pier, turned, gained some altitude and then came right back down the pier. Net result: 6 angry fishermen. What a mess of lines that was. Seagull survived. My brother and I almost didn't.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:14 PM

Beaver....and NO...not that kind of beaver!!.....

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-20-2009, 10:22 PM

Last summer I got a ice fishing rod and some spoons at Badger Lake.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:54 PM

flyfishin for gold eye on the red deer at drum this summer,,had a nice gold on a 14 elkhair caddis when everything went crazy,,the pic is knda blrry but its hard to fight a goldeye and a 5 lb pike with 4lb tippet and take a picture while your by yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (163.5 KB, 585 views)
Old 02-21-2009, 06:17 AM

Default Strange but true...

Strange but true...

I caught S..t from my mother for being late one time...

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 02-21-2009, 06:26 AM

Default Condom

Caught a condom in the good old North Saskatchewan. As we reelled it in it slowly filled up but didn't break until right beside shore. Packed up and moved spots.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:30 AM

Went fishing last year for 4 days in BC AND CAME BACK WITH DIVORCE PAPERS, oh well, went out 3 days later for a couple of days hoping she would reconsider.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:49 AM

last year in eagle i cought 2 twenty dollar bills,but i think the most scary things i have caught was a 4 foot aligator on a 6 inch plastic worm on my heavy flippin stick in florida....take the hook out of that!and once when i was blue gill fishing down there i had a four foot cotton mouth snake eat my blue gill....what a fight that thing put up and i did catch a 10 pound large mouth with a 14 inch water snake in it...scared the hell out of me,grabbed the lip of the fish and you could still see the head...still gives me the shivers
Old 02-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Banned

A young ruffed grouse ate my fly while on shore of the Red Deer River while I l was looking for another fly in my flybox. I am glad there was no barb on the hook and I extricated the fly and let the bird go.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:53 PM

Default odd catch

Sometime in the 80's while flycasting to schools of small brook trout on Lake Annette in Jasper ( I think) my fishing partner hollered " Ive got a good one". I hustled over to help him as we had not caught many Brook trout back then. Imagine our surprise when instead of a trout he reels up an orange golf ball. This lake has a very rocky bottom and as the ball was pulled in it bounced along and played out like a fish. The fly had lodged in a small crack in the ball and then held true( one in a million). I laughed till it hurt then carried that golf ball in my tackle box for years.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:51 PM

I dunno if it's weird or not, but i got a salamander on my trout rig once
Old 02-22-2009, 09:10 AM

Salamander's yep it happens here too.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Whisperer View Post
Caught a condom in the good old North Saskatchewan. As we reelled it in it slowly filled up but didn't break until right beside shore. Packed up and moved spots.
Actually what you caught there was a ''north saskatchewan river minature sperm whale'' they also can be found on most lease roads and campsites within a short drive of your major centers
Old 02-22-2009, 05:39 PM

Location: past the dead tree where the john bros faught in '52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
Strangely enough I was speaking to a relative about this post a few minutes ago turns out he lost that rod in 1987, very cool!
well if your relative could prove, or even narrow down the area i'd gladly give it back. may be sentimental and all.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:22 PM

During the summer I was fishing from the shore and my brother had lost a mepps syclops , we went diving for it because we caught a lot of fish off that syclops and we could not find it. So during the fall I was fishing off the same point , I casted and ripped my spoon through a weed bed and I noticed something strange attached to my spoon . It ends up I snagged his syclops that he had lost during the summer and I reeled in this rusty and tarnished syclops!! I still have it in my tackle box!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:31 PM

I was fishing with a friend one time on the Winnipeg River for walleye. We anchored the boat along a current seam and started fishing. After a while I hooked a monster. This was a huge fish, and since the river holds sturgeon I'm figuring that a record is on the line. We were in about 20' of water and never did get a look at the behemoth. It pulled, tugged, shook it's head, came up a bit, and dove back to the bottom so many times I lost count. Eventually my line broke and I lost the "fish" of a lifetime.

Later on in the fall one of the neighbors at the cabin asked me to come help with some chores. He wanted to pull in his water line. So he hooked up his quad after disconnecting the line from the pumphouse, and tells me to give him a wave when the end gets to the dock. I am watching the for the end, and thinking, how long is this freaking water line.

Turns out he puts out almost a 1/4mi of poly line to get it out into the current, so the water is cleaner. I realized that when my jig and several others went shooting past. He apparently collects quite a few lures every year. Amazing what a water line feels like in the current.

Oh, BTW,
Shopping cart on the Bow.
And a friends nose back in Mb..........
And a painting, after the floods on Prairie Creek a few years ago....2005?

k
Old 03-02-2009, 01:11 PM

pair of oakley sunglasses at buck lake last summer... put my perscription in em. Coolest pair I've ever owned never could afford a decent pair.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:38 PM

I haven't caught anything wierd but one of our group did at Arm Lake when we were kids. Fishing from the boat launch the guy felt a hard tug on the line and yelled he got a big one. He gets it up to the dock and it's a small beaver. He hooked it along the back. After pulling the hook out and getting sick of the stink we threw it back.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:01 PM

WHen I was a kid I caught a painted turtle. poor bugger swallowed the hook so we had to cut it off. my buddy let it go.
I also watched a friend of mine hook his cousin in the ear with a minnow lure we used for large mouth Bass. it was the first cast of the day after the 1/2 hour canoe trip trough the swamp to the lake. we cut it off and continued fishing for the day. when we got back home his mom took him in to the doc to get it removed.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Banned

Once caught two shiners at once on a wetaskawin hook at pidgion lake, each on a different prong.

At piere gray lakes last summer my wife spotted the end of a rope floating on the surface. I was pulling on it carefuly so as not to tip the canoe and peering down into the water when I got a serious fright. There was an old boat attatched to that rope... with a big sharks mouth painted on the front, like an old fighter jet. Although we made plans to try and run a winch line from our truck out to the boat and recover it to see if it was of any use we never did try it. That boat is probably still there though I doubt that the rope is still floating.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordoats26 View Post
Caught a Ancor in Buck lake last year and a Sweater in Pine lol
I caught a sweater on Pine too. Smelled like an old trucker.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:11 PM

An older thread but I thought i would breathe some new life into it.
I personally have seen a seal hooked off a Pier, a starfish snagged, a greedy crab caught with a rod, a freshwater shrimp on a 3 inch spoon( my brother drug a spoon through a weed bed and the unlucky 1/4" shrimp got impaled),I saw a rod pulled out of 30 foot clear waters of a BC lake, caught a variate of animals and birds and also a lawn chair in good condition other then being wet, 50 yards of line with a baited pickerel rig still on it, hooks from time to time, but my favorite would be a 3 fish on 2 hooks.A small walleye and a perch on a pickerel rig with a pike hanging off the perch(he would not let go until we had the lot of them in the boat) all three fish were fighing like mad each for thier own reasons... thought I had the biggest baddest record breaking Walleye on
lol
Donavon
Old 06-06-2009, 01:03 PM

Caught a seagull in midcast on the Sheep River. What a screaming match that was to get the line off of him.

Caught old tires, trees, bushes, my ear, my hat, my waders my thumb, my dog (jumped at the lure on take off). Cost $70.00 to get that removed at the vets.

Caught a ling cod, didn't know what it was, screamed like a girl. Cut my line! Ran out of the water.Do you know how hard it is to run like H#ll with hip waders on?

Hmm why did I take up this sport again??? lmao!
Old 06-06-2009, 03:44 PM

A merganser on a fly, beaver on a fly(snagged), muskrat and grebe on a spoon, 2 gulls on smelts. my little brother with a spoon, my own arm with a bait hook. and probably more Ive forgotten. Brother was the most fun tho, yanked him right off his bike but my mother made me take him to emergency to get the hook out.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-06-2009, 04:19 PM

a few years back after ice fishing we put the tipups in the backyard with the smelts still on.2 hours later we here a commotion in the yard.we caught the damn cat. p.s. trying to remove a hook from a cats mouth can be very dangerous to all involved.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:32 PM

last year I was jiging for pike/walleye and I a fish snapet my line then the next etempt at trying to get a fish I cot that same fish with my lure and the bait was still good to go!