Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2017, 03:33 PM

Default Perch bonking

I feel like bonking a hundred perch this weekend. The wildlife rehabilitation place only wants perch starting in May so anyone that wants them can take them home. Hope the weather holds out.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-20-2017, 03:47 PM

Where is this?
Old 01-20-2017, 04:07 PM

I'm free Sunday! . I had a blast out there with you guys last time!
Old 01-20-2017, 04:24 PM

i maybe up for it again.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:48 PM

BradS is banned. He caught more than me and hurt my feelings. Dam ungrateful kid. Doesn't he know his elders have feelings?

Actually very impressed with everyone last weekend. Brad however was dialled in. He fished like he was in a quick draw gun fight. Entertaining to watch.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-20-2017, 05:02 PM

yup his punishment if he comes is he gets to clean all of the perch for us lol. what time are you thinking? send me a pm
Old 01-20-2017, 05:03 PM

:P I'll bring donuts hahaha .

Oh it was such a blast I wish I had a underwater camera!!

It's nice to meet new people especially when it revolves around fishing.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:22 PM

How many you figure you caught last time out?
Old 01-20-2017, 05:28 PM

sat = 400+ 4 people , sun = 160 ish 3 people
Old 01-20-2017, 06:04 PM

Drop me PM. Gotta work in my shower this weekend. Likely 10 am may bonk perchies
Old 01-20-2017, 06:22 PM

sure would be nice if you could catch those and dump them live into depleted lakes.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 01-20-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
sure would be nice if you could catch those and dump them live into depleted lakes.
If there were winterkill ponds we could keep em stocked all summer and let them get ice fished out in the winter or winterkilled.

However...likely issues for F&W
Old 01-20-2017, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

Wow, I'm surprised you haven't been roasted on this thread for even suggesting such an illegal activity. By the way I agree that it might be a good idea.
I have to wonder, however, that once perch have "stunted" for a certain amount of time if it is now programmed into their DNA, and they might never grow bigger then 4 inches, even in a larger lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by waterninja; 01-20-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Transplanting fish from one body of water to another could get you in trouble if caught
Old 01-20-2017, 08:48 PM

Obviously Brandon is talking a theoretical situation with approval by AEP...

You catching any good size ones Sundance or just small guys? If they were a good size I would probably drive down from Edmonton lol.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:54 PM

Wish I could....but gotta work this weekend. Good to meet some new faces last weekend. Good luck out there!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 01-20-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Obviously Brandon is talking a theoretical situation with approval by AEP...

You catching any good size ones Sundance or just small guys? If they were a good size I would probably drive down from Edmonton lol.
Thanks RavYak I was of course talking about fisheries taking advantage of stunted fisheries and transplanting to other fished out fisheries such as pigeon lake for example and others. This is a practice used in other provinces and the United states. And the question about genetic drift with stunting does not occur. Fish growth depends more of habitat and food availability than genetics. If you don't believe me read about Idaho stocking stunted perch in cascade lake which is now growing perch to nearly three pounds.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 01-21-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks RavYak I was of course talking about fisheries taking advantage of stunted fisheries and transplanting to other fished out fisheries such as pigeon lake for example and others. This is a practice used in other provinces and the United states. And the question about genetic drift with stunting does not occur. Fish growth depends more of habitat and food availability than genetics. If you don't believe me read about Idaho stocking stunted perch in cascade lake which is now growing perch to nearly three pounds.
It has been done in the past. Perch from Mons lake were transplanted into Kaduk lake (north of Bellis) but unfortunately it was not successful and they did not survive the winter.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=Bellis

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 01-21-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Wow, I'm surprised you haven't been roasted on this thread for even suggesting such an illegal activity. By the way I agree that it might be a good idea.
I have to wonder, however, that once perch have "stunted" for a certain amount of time if it is now programmed into their DNA, and they might never grow bigger then 4 inches, even in a larger lake.
Studies show if you place stunted perch in a lake with food they start growing again.

I have suggested this the F&W in the past however they saw issues.

I could see great benefit stocking the decorative ponds along stony trail. Could provide some value to residents.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
Wish I could....but gotta work this weekend. Good to meet some new faces last weekend. Good luck out there!
Gonna finish re-grouting my shower today if possible. Tomorrow more likely fishing.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:05 PM

How did the shower turn out today?

Are we catching them sundance jumbos tomorrow?
Old 01-21-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStillie58 View Post
How did the shower turn out today?

Are we catching them sundance jumbos tomorrow?
PM sent

Finished grouting. Caught 30 perch after 2:30.