Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2016, 11:04 AM

Guys we have one of the best police forces in the world. "If it aint broken do not try to fix it"
Old 02-24-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
That actually wasn't the rcmp - it was the Toronto police service.
The Toronto police service has members in Leduc! Blows my mind what I learn on AO.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys we have one of the best police forces in the world. "If it aint broken do not try to fix it"
Best at what, avoiding any consequences / skirting responsibility every time they aren't one of the best police forces in the world? They are already well beyond broken, and it's probably too late to fix that without changing the organization starting at the very, very top.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Personally in this day and age like above I would say it's society that is broken. how many police not just RCMP have been shot and or killed while on duty in the last 5 years, compare that to 20 years ago. I'm sure the RCMP do have issues but are they broken no. For the most part they're doing a job that id never want and for that I thank them.
Been a general trend downwards since the 60's. Half as many killed per year recently as were being murdered then.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 02-24-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Been a general trend downwards since the 60's. Half as many killed per year recently as were being murdered then.
But...but...but...but that's not what I'm reading in the news!! /s

Seriously. IMO city cops=good, RCMP=bad. Granted I've only had contact with the RCMP or city police a couple times in the last 10 years or so. Both times speeding tickets. RCMP was a dick, city policeman was polite and professional.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:52 PM

The problem with the RCMP is that they are a massive organization (over 28,000 employees with about 17-19,000 of those being actual cops on the road). And I would argue they could probably use about 5,000 more working cops to provide better service to those of us who rely on them....They are spread out over the entire country and have multiple layers of bureaucracy.

Because of their size and spread they are plagued by red-tape anytime a major decision needs to be made. For example a large inquiry was done after the Mayerthorpe shooting in early 2005 that recommended the RCMP change several procedures and upgrade certain type of equipment. One of these equipment/training recommendations was to purchase and deploy C8/M4 style rifles to detachments across the country to enhance officer safety and public safety (the only long gun in use by the RCMP was a .308 rifle and a shotgun). It is now 2016 and I can tell you for a fact that most of these newly acquired M4/C8 rifles have not been deployed to the detachments yet and its now 11 years AFTER that incident. That's unacceptable.

This red tape literally applies to everything the RCMP do. Including dealing with old complaints/lawsuits. So when a huge company is so mired in bureaucracy how do they ever make any progress or be proactive?

However, like any other police agency, they have mostly good members and a few bad. That's standard everywhere (EPS, CPS, Vancouver, Toronto, etc, etc). But, for example, if a municipal agency has 10 truly bad apples out of 2,000, then the RCMP has 90 that are true problem children and you hear about it that much more in the media.

Id like to personally see a Provincial Police service or an expanded version of the Sherrifs that actually have police powers (instead of peace Officer) and be able to conduct investigations. Then at least the bureaucracy would end at the Alberta border and the agency would be able to keep a better handle on training and other procedures and processes (including dealing with complaints more timely and appropriately).
Old 02-24-2016, 01:35 PM

It used to be that the RCMP trainees were paid recruits, and training was a literal military style boot camp with lots of discipline. Today RCMP recruits pay tuition to attend Depot in a campus style environment and, they also have opting out privileges.

Recruits of the 50's and 60's education levels were basically at the high school level. Today, Recruits are university graduates usually in social work or criminology, resulting in going from common sense policing of the 50's and 60's to social workers with badges and guns.

Should RCMP be policing large urban centres....no but, that is another story.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:48 PM

Default RCMP not perfect but damn good!!

The RCMP have their issues and most of these have to do with management . the government still dictates policy and the folks in charge are less than sterling. the vast majority of the members are decent guys. There are some yahoos no doubt but the majority are decent guys. We need to protect our field guys better and train them better.
I grew up in Northern Canada and mounties were a big part of our life. Went to school across the field from depot. many friends are members. Have seen the problems from the inside and they are not insurmountable.
If I was in a tough spot and needed help I would be pleased to see a Mountie coming to help- preferably a guy but that's another topic all together.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The RCMP have their issues and most of these have to do with management . the government still dictates policy and the folks in charge are less than sterling. the vast majority of the members are decent guys. There are some yahoos no doubt but the majority are decent guys. We need to protect our field guys better and train them better.
I grew up in Northern Canada and mounties were a big part of our life. Went to school across the field from depot. many friends are members. Have seen the problems from the inside and they are not insurmountable.
If I was in a tough spot and needed help I would be pleased to see a Mountie coming to help- preferably a guy but that's another topic all together.
The Mounties of today are not the same Mounties some of us grew up with.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
However, like any other police agency, they have mostly good members and a few bad. That's standard everywhere (EPS, CPS, Vancouver, Toronto, etc, etc). But, for example, if a municipal agency has 10 truly bad apples out of 2,000, then the RCMP has 90 that are true problem children and you hear about it that much more in the media.
The problem seems to be that the force refuses to deal with those 90 problem children. When the public sees the force protecting those problem children rather than dealing with them, it reflects badly on the entire force.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:19 PM

Rate of pay is falling well behind many other urban forces as well. Not gonna attract top calibre people with chicken feed.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:23 PM

Default How broken is the RCMP

The problem with the RCMP is that there recruiting profile of the ideal candidate is flawed. Instead of picking the ideal who maybe a high school graduate, they choose to select recruits from special selected groups in order to appease the Government. The RCMP should always pick the best candidate regardless of race,gender,ethnicity and education.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat27 View Post
The problem with the RCMP is that there recruiting profile of the ideal candidate is flawed. Instead of picking the ideal who maybe a high school graduate, they choose to select recruits from special selected groups in order to appease the Government. The RCMP should always pick the best candidate regardless of race,gender,ethnicity and education.
Totally Agree , however why don't the RCMP have the backbone to tell the Government of the Day that . We want the best qualified , not just because they meet the recruiting profile of the Week . RCMP recruiting is a joke . Policing is about people and not what degree you hold . And the Royal Red just don't seem to get that
Old 02-24-2016, 11:02 PM

The inability of the force to deal with the problem children has consequences. The very law & order they tout as well as prevention is based on society collapsing to the lowest common denominator.

These problem children do not operate in a vacuum, their peers with their silence are lowering themselves to said lower standard.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Can you share that experience ?
Once I finish the write up, yes

I am working the timelines, and the discovery file etc. Until the final draft is done, no spoilers
Old 02-24-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren008 View Post
Rate of pay is falling well behind many other urban forces as well. Not gonna attract top calibre people with chicken feed.
That is def NOT the problem.

3 months after depot you are on 40% const wage, but go up to 67K pretty quick.

Pension and benefits are second to none.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat01 View Post
Totally Agree , however why don't the RCMP have the backbone to tell the Government of the Day that . We want the best qualified , not just because they meet the recruiting profile of the Week . RCMP recruiting is a joke . Policing is about people and not what degree you hold . And the Royal Red just don't seem to get that
The reason is that a lot of senior managers should have never been promoted to these positions and many are looking for another government job after they leave the RCMP, so they don't want to rock the boat.