Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2016, 11:28 AM

Default Erza Levant Business Model

Folks,

A friend and I were talking about Erza and what he does. The question arose of how he gets $'s from his activities. My personal belief is nobody does anything w/o reward
I see Crowd sourcing of $100,000
I see libel suit after libel suit with him loosing and owing somebody.
I see failures of both his businesses + others he was associated with.
His web site donation section in the top right is partly covered when I use my Ipad but shows up on the desktop.
Is all his income coming from donations?
How does he get enough to eat. He appears to be well feed.

And on another note I wondered what an accredited journalist might be and the only place I could find any info was the CDN parliament and the White House. Both required that the "journalist" present their qualifications for vetting by the Govt. so they could be added to the Press Corp.

Does the purchase of a $ 400 lap top, a $50 modeum & a web site at $8/month qualify as a working journalist.

or are Bloggers journalists?

regards,

Don
Old 02-21-2016, 11:56 AM
Banned

Default Don't worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Folks,

A friend and I were talking about Erza and what he does. The question arose of how he gets $'s from his activities. My personal belief is nobody does anything w/o reward
His web site donation section in the top right is partly covered when I use my Ipad but shows up on the desktop.

And on another note I wondered what an accredited journalist might be and the only place I could find any info was the CDN parliament and the White House. Both required that the "journalist" present their qualifications for vetting by the Govt. so they could be added to the Press Corp.

Does the purchase of a $ 400 lap top, a $50 modeum & a web site at $8/month qualify as a working journalist.

regards,

Don
There is always a trough for right wing agenda mouth pieces to feed at.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAlbertan View Post
Same trough the lefties feed at.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Banned

This should be an interesting test of a hypothesis.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Folks,

regards,

Don
Hopefully yes, do you want the government to decide who can and who cannot be a journalist? For the first time the news is not controlled by a handful of people, thanks to the internet people can see the truth. The powers to be are unhappy about that and is why they want to control the internet.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:25 PM

Don,
He has enough subscribers and views to generate a modest income from Youtube and don't be fooled as any other person that has a platform at either end of the aisle Ezra has his benefactors.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:12 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
Hopefully yes, do you want the government to decide who can and who cannot be a journalist? For the first time the news is not controlled by a handful of people, thanks to the internet people can see the truth. The powers to be are unhappy about that and is why they want to control the internet.
But the Govt already vets "accredited journalists" who are allowed to attend Govt briefings and new releases.
The question remains, are bloggers news people or opinion pieces? By any definition, Levant is a blogger. Rarely news, mostly opinion.
Good thing or bad, I haven't a clue.
Appeals to some.

Don
Old 02-21-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
What's HIS agenda? Saying, what most Albertans are thinking? Old Stock Albertan's anyway
Old 02-21-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
But the Govt already vets "accredited journalists" who are allowed to attend Govt briefings and new releases.
The question remains, are bloggers news people or opinion pieces? By any definition, Levant is a blogger. Rarely news, mostly opinion.
Good thing or bad, I haven't a clue.
Appeals to some.

Don
Good to see your opinions are in alignment with your understanding.....consistent with the days of typewriters.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:53 PM

I would bet Levant is not on the list of accredited journalists that report on cases in the Alberta Courts.

https://albertacourts.ca/docs/default-source/Court-of-Queen's-Bench/media-undertaking-list.pdf?sfvrsn=4

I would think he's free to blog on until his heart is content about his own court cases, though.

Last I read, Levant's practising status with the Alberta Law Society is inactive, which means he's a member - but is not insured and not entitled to practice law.

He can still represent himself - as a lawyer that has a fool for a client.

Last edited by JimPS; 02-21-2016 at 11:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-22-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Re: Erza Levant Business Model

Folks,

A friend and I were talking about Erza and what he does.....

regards,

Don

Who's "Erza"?!! Is that Ezra Levant's sister?

Might want to spell the man's name correctly when criticizing him for being a blogger.

Last edited by Clgy_Dave2.0; 02-22-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:02 AM

Smile Ezra is where he wants to be.

He qualified as a lawyer but that profession has too many rules for Ezra, in fact the Law society says his behaviour is unbecoming of a Lawyer, wow that's hard to believe.

He and the Muslim who heads the human rights commission spend their time suing one another, and I suspect Ezra is paid for his efforts.

As far as being a journalist is concerned, it is a title anyone can give them self, just like politician, there are no recognized qualifications.

I think that it will be a long time before Ezra wastes away from lack of food.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Folks,

regards,

Don
Your spelling is atrocious.

Your agenda is clear.

I don't need government recognition to be allowed to report on activities. Freedoms guaranteed by the Charter say so.

So what is it to you, if he is funded by donations? People are free to do with their money as they see fit.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Oh and you again. Hmmm. I'm a libertarian, however I find your comments belie your agenda.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
He qualified as a lawyer but that profession has too many rules for Ezra, in fact the Law society says his behaviour is unbecoming of a Lawyer, wow that's hard to believe.

He and the Muslim who heads the human rights commission spend their time suing one another, and I suspect Ezra is paid for his efforts.

As far as being a journalist is concerned, it is a title anyone can give them self, just like politician, there are no recognized qualifications.

Brings up a good point.

Who is qualified as a politician?

Certainly not sparkly equine.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:16 AM

I've donated to Ezra in the past. I don't always agree with him, but I appreciate his role and believe we need his voice in the 'great debate'. Too often outrageous claims by the rabid left go unchallenged by the mainstream media, and he often is the first to raise issues that would otherwise be ignored by 'the media party'.

I particularly appreciate his vocal position that all sides should be heard, and not the usual liberal tripe that voices contrary to their views should be silenced.
He doesn't try to 'shut people up' who disagree with him. He calls them out for debate - good on him!

Yes, Ezra can be a buffoon, but so can Suzuki, and he gets plenty of sympathetic media party coverage - with a tax exempt Suzuki Foundation no less! Ezra's eking out a living, while jet-setting Saint Suzuki's building a real estate empire on the west coast!

I'm glad we have both extremes of the spectrum to hear from. The Rebel also serves to illustrate that leftie 'media outlets' like The Tyee, Alberta Views etc. are actually left of centre, and not the mainstream view.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:47 AM

I believe what is in question is not a journalist, but responsible reporting by the individual media sources such as newspapers and television/radio etc. The press as such is bound to report only proven facts and statements (responsible reporting), unless it is published under the guise of an editorial etc. that is deemed an opinion. I believe if accredited media publishes something not factual, they would be subject to being sued for liable. It seems Mr Levant and his "rebel" is more opinion based media rather than factual based, hence the contoversy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
Old 02-22-2016, 07:50 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
I believe what is in question is not a journalist, but responsible reporting by the individual media sources such as newspapers and television/radio etc. The press as such is bound to report only proven facts and statements (responsible reporting), unless it is published under the guise of an editorial etc. that is deemed an opinion. I believe if accredited media publishes something not factual, they would be subject to being sued for liable. It seems Mr Levant and his "rebel" is more opinion based media rather than factual based, hence the contoversy.
So, if the accredited media splashes a picture of a drowned 3 year old boy on the other side of the world and blames it on someone from Canada, is that a fact?, or an opinion?....or maybe slander?
Old 02-22-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:

I think that Levant's opinions are based on facts and that's why the government hates him and wants the Rebel banned from legislature press conferences. They obviously don't want the facts publicized!
Old 02-22-2016, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Another left wing hypocrite.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Levant has lost libel suits and/or been forced to apologize and retract statements multiple times. The great irony here is that only two years ago part of his defense in one of those cases was to insist that he's NOT a journalist.

So he alternately claims and denies the title of journalist as it suits the moment. That combined with the fact that he's a former lobbyist for the tobacco industry should tell you a lot about him.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

His practicing status with the Alberta Law Society may be inactive because he isn't paid up on his liability insurance premiums, which means he's a member - but is not insured and not entitled to practice law.

I think that it will be a long time before Ezra wastes away from lack of food too - because he's saving a bundle in insurance premiums.

A blog mouth like his wouldn't be cheap to feed or to insure.

Last edited by JimPS; 02-22-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:14 AM
Banned

the great thing is that in Canada we have a little bit of freedom and that allows those who collect news to report on that news.

that and there is no monopoly on news and no control over news allowing people to have a free and open source.

start controlling the news and lose a part of your freedom. i'm not willing to give that up for anyone
Old 02-22-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
the great thing is that in Canada we have a little bit of freedom and that allows those who collect news to report on that news.

that and there is no monopoly on news and no control over news allowing people to have a free and open source.

start controlling the news and lose a part of your freedom. i'm not willing to give that up for anyone

Agree, however the press has the responsibility to report only honest facts, never personal feelings or opinions unless they qualify those reports with the caveat that they are opinions. It's known as responsible reporting.

Not taking sides, but freedom of the press is governed by being honest. If that is so in this instance or not is obviously what the debate is about....
Old 02-22-2016, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Agree, however the press has the responsibility to report only honest facts, never personal feelings or opinions unless they qualify those reports with the caveat that they are opinions. It's known as responsible reporting.

Not taking sides, but freedom of the press is governed by being honest. If that is so in this instance or not is obviously what the debate is about....
people have the responsibility to think for themselves and second guess everything they hear. there is no excuse
Old 02-22-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Freedom of the press means little when the media is controlled by a few giants.

The internet is the free and open source for news - and there's a lot of powerful interests that what it shut down. That's the current battleground.

Those who control the media control the people.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
people have the responsibility to think for themselves and second guess everything they hear. there is no excuse

See, that is a case in point. That is your opinion and not a fact. Just because you want something doesn't make it so.... Hence the term responsible.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
Freedom of the press means little when the media is controlled by a few giants.

The internet is the free and open source for news - and there's a lot of powerful interests that what it shut down. That's the current battleground.

Those who control the media control the people.
which is why we shouldn't stifle the little guys
Old 02-22-2016, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
See, that is a case in point. That is your opinion and not a fact. Just because you want something doesn't make it so.... Hence the term responsible.
stupid people will always be stupid we can't fix that.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:35 AM

No comment, but this article pretty much seems to lay it out....

http://ualawccsprod.srv.ualberta.ca/...defamation-law

Quote:
stupid people will always be stupid we can't fix that.