Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2016, 09:40 AM

Default Leupold vx3 vs vxr

Looking to get either one of these for my 7mm. I know it's probably been raised before, but try finding it with the search function on this forum. Would b looking at a cds model in vx3 3.5-10x40 or vxr 4-12x40. Anyone compared the 2 back to back? Glass differences between the 2? Cabelas has good sale on the vx3 right now. What's battery life on a vxr like? Thanks in advance
Old 02-23-2016, 10:01 AM

VX-3 is not head and shoulders above VX-R in glass clarity. It will however, give you more options if you decide to change reticles. I hunt my game in the bush and find the VX-R to be an advantage for me on a hunting rifle. I would prefer the VX-3 for the prairie hunting and bench shooting with small target dot.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:07 AM

Oh ya, count on 1 battery for Sept, Oct and part of Nov. I use a fresh one starting Rememberance Day.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
VX-3 is not head and shoulders above VX-R in glass clarity. It will however, give you more options if you decide to change reticles. I hunt my game in the bush and find the VX-R to be an advantage for me on a hunting rifle. I would prefer the VX-3 for the prairie hunting and bench shooting with small target dot.
Thanks for that. Not head and shoulders above, but noticeably better than? And does the fire dot obscure the target at higher magnification then? Wanna spring for one soon, just havin a hard time makin up my mind lol. Stopped at local wss but had neither in stock to look through. And hard to see anything in a store anyways
Old 02-23-2016, 04:05 PM
Banned

To my eyes the VX-R is close to the VX-3 if not better. Red dot just works for me. I have a couple VX-R's in 3-9, and a 4-12 that I use most often. Battery is replaced at the start of each season. The auto shut off works good to save the battery. Look at them with your eyes before you buy. Good luck
Old 02-24-2016, 12:24 AM

The bottom line Gade is if your chosen scope is for hunting and your quarry could be standing with trees as a backdrop, VX-R all the way. Hunting for the crosshairs in low light sucks. Firedot is adjustable to surrounding light conditions. CDS is an awesome feature when customized to your load and both scopes track very well. Please post which one you finally pull the trigger on.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:40 AM

Well last night i picked up a vxr of kijiji. Had one on there i was looking at which is why i wanted to make a quick decision, before it was gone.

Curious though if the scope will be mountable with low rings on my tikka. Almost looks like i won't be able to due to big occular and zoom ring. Anyone run into this problem? Do not want to have to mount a fraction higher than i need to.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:45 AM

Have you had a 40 mm objective scope mounted previously that worked for you? Because the only thing that will change is new rings for the 30 mm tube. Lows are still lows.