Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-28-2018, 09:26 AM

Default Small or Extra Small Neoprene Dog Coats?

Does anyone know where I can find these? Pet stores only carry the life jackets but they don't seem to be designed to hold in body heat. All the hunting outlets carry medium and larger. Amazon has the Browning small sized coats but they are still too large. Don't care if its camo or a safety color like orange or yellow ( no pinks, hes already been neutered, no point making it worse) Looking for something that will fit a 6-7 month old beagle, once he gets cold and wet the hunts stop. Since everything is wet round here that means very short hunts
Thanks in advance.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-28-2018, 09:40 AM

https://www.amazon.com/CWB-Board-Spi.../dp/B00TZLSU5C

Ive got prime if need any help---lots more on Amazon.com
Old 09-28-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Does anyone know where I can find these? Pet stores only carry the life jackets but they don't seem to be designed to hold in body heat. All the hunting outlets carry medium and larger. Amazon has the Browning small sized coats but they are still too large. Don't care if its camo or a safety color like orange or yellow ( no pinks, hes already been neutered, no point making it worse) Looking for something that will fit a 6-7 month old beagle, once he gets cold and wet the hunts stop. Since everything is wet round here that means very short hunts
Thanks in advance.
Heat stroke would be my concern. Having hunted over little hounds I can assure you that cold and wet are not going to be a factor. He quits because he is a worn out little puppy that hasn't developed any stamina and drive yet. At 6-7 months they are using most of their energy and available fuel for growing and development.

My Labrador puppy is over one year and healthy. She is capable of about 70% at this time but I only work her at 40-50%. I do have the luxury an adult dog to hunt over while she develops but would never expect more than training exercise from such a young dog.

I know you didn't ask for this advice and I apologize for going off track. I can tell you without doubt that more dogs are ruined in the first year than ever develop into great hunting partners. Those that brag about a dogs abilities at a young age are more foolish than proficient as trainers.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Heat stroke would be my concern. Having hunted over little hounds I can assure you that cold and wet are not going to be a factor. He quits because he is a worn out little puppy that hasn't developed any stamina and drive yet. At 6-7 months they are using most of their energy and available fuel for growing and development.

My Labrador puppy is over one year and healthy. She is capable of about 70% at this time but I only work her at 40-50%. I do have the luxury an adult dog to hunt over while she develops but would never expect more than training exercise from such a young dog.

I know you didn't ask for this advice and I apologize for going off track. I can tell you without doubt that more dogs are ruined in the first year than ever develop into great hunting partners. Those that brag about a dogs abilities at a young age are more foolish than proficient as trainers.
No need to apologize. I totally understand what your saying. In this case though, once the dog gets wet he starts shivering, last time we were only out for 30 minutes before the dog decided he had enough. It was an easy walk, just wet. When were at the dog park, he plays very hard with other dogs and can go for 2 hours or more so I don't think its a stamina issue in this case. The dog is also very lean and the vet has him on a high protein, high fat diet until he gets up to his target weight so he is a little more susceptible to the cold.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."