Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 02:57 PM

Default I wish I was literate.

My self worth as a man hinges on my ability to get a bull elk with my bow this year. I have a hundreds of hours into archery practice, scouting, educating myself and doing everything possible to make it a possibility.

The undersubscribed tags came out and I thought, cool! Tag available for an area I know where I know I could get a late season cow elk. What else do I have to look forward to the middle of January, a cool father son hunt. Being illiterate I didn't understand it precludes my ability to hunt elk of any kind in the fall. I am gutted.

Lady at the fish and wildlife office and the realm call center say I am screwed. Is there a person I can beg, a ceremony I can preform, some sacrifice I can make to give back this cursed late cow tag.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:56 PM

I'd just make the most of the cow tag and plan again for next year, unfortunately I think you are SOL for cancelling the undersubscribed tag.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:06 PM

You have proven yourself a true man! Although not properly reading directions... is not the best way to do it!

LC
Old 08-20-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You have proven yourself a true man! Although not properly reading directions... is not the best way to do it!

LC
Hahaha
Old 08-20-2018, 06:53 PM

lol exactly ... could be worse ..I guy I know packed and drove all the way to elk camp and was going to by his tags on the way... failed to mention he got an undersubscribed cow elk for late season ... was nice to have a camp cook tho lol
Old 08-20-2018, 06:54 PM

Good luck on your cow tag tho
Old 08-20-2018, 07:46 PM

Can you still not hunt cow elk ONLY during archery season in that particular zone? I believe you still can if I’m reading it correctly.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun.../gameregs.html
Old 08-20-2018, 08:29 PM

Sounds like a great opportunity just to get out and understand elk better.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:43 AM

Perfect excuse for an out of province hunt. What’s better then an elk in the freezer? Two elk in the freezer, that’s what
Old 08-21-2018, 06:56 AM

This is exactly why a person needs to carefully read the regulations, which most people never bother to do. At least you admit that it was your mistake, instead of blaming the system, like many people do.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:43 AM

I know of one guy, would be about 15 years ago that managed to beg ABD cry his way out of a draw tag. It can be done.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
I know of one guy, would be about 15 years ago that managed to beg ABD cry his way out of a draw tag. It can be done.
15 years ago, you could simply not purchase the draw tag, and purchase the general tag instead. The system was changed several years ago.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:33 AM

At least you realized you mistake and admit its your fault. Better to find out now than after the shot like so many people tend to do. and end up with a court date. Make the most of the hunt you have. Who knows, it could turn out to be your best father son hunt ever.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-21-2018, 08:39 AM

Default Cow

A sweet young grain fed cow will be better meat then a stinky old bull anyways ! Your manhood will be safe. I drew a late cow in 214/314 , looking forward to a Jan hunt.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Can you still not hunt cow elk ONLY during archery season in that particular zone? I believe you still can if I’m reading it correctly.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun.../gameregs.html
I have no option in realm for any elk but Calgary archery elk.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:30 PM

Happened to my cousin and I a couple of years ago. The difference is we both were supposed to buy undersubscribed tags in the same zone in order to hunt together. For whatever reason, he bought a tag in a neighbouring zone and I bought one in zone we agreed upon (to his defense, we discussed both zones in quite detail and extensively on several occasions). We went to the local Fish and Wildlife office later the same day and explained them the situation and asked if we could switch one of the tags (didn't matter which one at that point) in order for us to be able to hunt together. No can do was the short answer, in spite of the fact that plenty of tags were still available for both zones at the time (if I remember correctly, one never sold out). Having said that, we did hunt by our lonely selves but both were successful and each had a blast.

I, personally, don't see a reason in a situation like ours why tags cannot be switched. However, I do understand that it was his/our fault and don't have any hard feelings or regrets, for that matter.

Also, I would choose a two/three-year old cow meat over any bull any day of the week

Good luck with the hunt! Doubt there are many better hunts out there than a father and son hunt (unless you do not like each other or something). I haven't gotten an opportunity to experience such a hunt. Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC

All he needs to do now is get lost on the way and not ask for directions.

I agree with others, at least you’re not complaining and blaming