Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2018, 10:33 PM

Default Labrador

Had to put my buddy down two weeks ago after 10 years. He was the best dog ever out of 11 I’ve had so far. I’m looking to replace him next spring. So far all I can find are the English type-show dogs. The breeder I got him from isn’t in business anymore. Anyone know of a breeder that has yellow labs that are more of the field type? I want to get on a list ASAP
Thanks for any help
Old 07-23-2018, 11:56 PM

Sorry about your dog. There was lots of dog talk over on the hunting forum this winter. Just put Labrador in the search and you can read for hours.

If I truly wanted a quality champion field dog, I would probably go State side.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:01 AM

Sorry to hear about the loss of the dog, especially what sounds like a special one.

MK2750 and others have posted a ton over the winter and really helped me in my selection. I have an 11 week old running around at the house now and it reminds me how much fun they are when they are young.

Good luck in the search, sorry again to hear about your dog.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Sorry to hear about the loss of the dog, especially what sounds like a special one.

I have an 11 week old running around at the house now and it reminds me how much fun they are when they are young.
Pics or it didn't happen
Old 07-24-2018, 06:49 AM

Haha will post some up in the Hunting section when I'm on days off!
Old 07-24-2018, 06:51 AM

First off, I am very sorry for your loss.

I looked locally last winter, and even put a deposit on a pup, but was convinced by Pixel that the best money I would spend would be on a top breeding. I listened. I am happy I did, because now I don't have that nagging thought, "Would I have been better off getting a dog out of one of the top field sires in the US who has been a finalist in the Nationals numerous times?". If I wouldn't have done that, I know myself, I would have always been wondering just this thing. Now, when the dog is having hiccups in his training, I can only look in the mirror and ask myself "What am I doing wrong?" I hope you follow. Now I know that I am the weak link in the chain, not the dog. Having said that, there are phenomenal dogs to be had locally. I saw oodles of them at field trials and hunt tests I attended in the last few months. Forum member ThreeforThree has one that I would steal in a heartbeat if I knew he weren't looking.

My suggestion is shoot Pixelshooter a PM. I know he will be happy to discuss your goals with you and steer you in the right direction whether that is local or further away. Rumor has it he might have a brand new addition to his kennel

Last edited by sns2; 07-24-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:54 AM

Here is my little buddy, Chief. 5 months and over 50lbs already.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk