Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2018, 03:22 PM

Default Fires in BC

We have had dry times before now seems strange to me that so many fires have started this time . It is maybe the driest time ever are the fires starting by lightning or some started by careless humens or could some be deliberate?
Old 08-19-2018, 03:26 PM
Banned

This is just a guess, but maybe the pine beetle has made prime forest fire conditions?
Old 08-19-2018, 05:09 PM

I did hear there are 600 fires in BC and they figure half were man made. Man made can mean lots of things.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-19-2018, 05:15 PM

Default fires

i agree with the pine beetle theory was only a matter of time lots and lots of fire wood
Old 08-19-2018, 05:16 PM

Alberta should be collecting carbon tax for the emissions from the fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry couldn't resist.........

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 08-19-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I did hear there are 600 fires in BC and they figure half were man made. Man made can mean lots of things.
Were did you see this from what I have seen it says the majority were started from lightening and about 90 were thought to be human caused.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:28 PM

With the heat that we have been having in Alberta ,I was surprised we have no firer bans .
Old 08-19-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
With the heat that we have been having in Alberta ,I was surprised we have no firer bans .
Fire bans all over the place in Central Alberta.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:43 PM

not in the cold lake last weekend .
Old 08-19-2018, 06:21 PM

Keep suppressing fires and the fuel is going to build up. Forests are getting older, more diseased and overgrown.

Forest fires aren’t going to become any less frequent until it burns and regenerates. As it’s been doing for thousands of years until European settlement.

But of course a carbon tax will solve all of that..
Old 08-20-2018, 10:14 AM

thickest smoke ever in Grand Forks BC this past weekend. Woke up to a reasonably clear sky after rain in Canmore last night but my lungs feel like two pieces of burnt bacon on a clothes hanger. Definitely a bit of permanent damage.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:20 PM
Banned

I wonder what the environmental impact of these wildfires will be? Over 600,000 hectares burnt so far. I don’t think Kinder Morgan could ever do as much damage even if it split end to end. Maybe the protesters should grab shovels and help out the front lines now they’ve been kicked out. They can prove their commitment to the environment.

Last edited by Kurt505; 08-20-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I wonder what the environmental impact of these woldfires will be? Over 600,000 hectares burnt so far. I don’t think Kinder Morgan could ever do as much damage even if it split end to end. Maybe the protesters should grab shovels and help out the front lines now they’ve been kicked out. They can prove their commitment to the environment.
Bingo....
Old 08-20-2018, 07:05 PM
Banned

It has absolutely nothing to do with man made climate change. The earth is going through a dry phase for the next four years, Or so I read anyways. I’ve been kind of playing it off since BC is giving us a rough time about our much needed pipeline, But I do feel bad for the people of bc having to leave their homes and for the brave firefighters trying to tame this beast. Hopefully they get some rain and no one dies because of this dry spell
Old 08-20-2018, 08:28 PM

BC may be dry but in our area we have plenty of moisture. Crops look good, pastures are not dried out. Been a pretty good year.

I believe Kurtis right, with so many dead trees from the pine beetle it’s probably good that they are being burned.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
BC may be dry but in our area we have plenty of moisture. Crops look good, pastures are not dried out. Been a pretty good year.

I believe Kurtis right, with so many dead trees from the pine beetle it’s probably good that they are being burned.
I wish it would all burn in one year, I'm tired of being cooped up in the house for three Aug. in a row. Calling for four dry years coming up.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-21-2018, 02:11 PM

True when you have dry fuell and some how gets on fire it will burn. Some of the fires started by lightning some by careless people or are some arson.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:45 PM

Multiple well-maintained pipeline right of ways would make for helpful fire breaks, perhaps now they should be made much wider, how many meters wide does the class think would be sufficient? 75 meters? 100?
Old 08-21-2018, 02:46 PM

Last year BC had over 1000 fires and believe this year total fires also over 1000. We have never had so much smoke in BC and Alberta. Some major change in amount of rainfall in summer in BC.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:56 PM

No major change in the amount of rain fall in BC.

Pattern has always been dry in the summer due to high pressure ridges off the BC Coast lasting as much as 60 days straight. Then, no rain.

There was lots of snow pack last winter, but the problem is that there is alot of dead wood in BC that was not harvested in the two years after the outbreak. Now is catch up for the fires as these dead standing pine go up like Roman Candles. When the Pine were green, they did not burn near as fast.

The Pine then catches everything else on fire as it burns so hot.

Drewski
Old 08-21-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Multiple well-maintained pipeline right of ways would make for helpful fire breaks, perhaps now they should be made much wider, how many meters wide does the class think would be sufficient? 75 meters? 100?
about 1 km would be a good start
Old 08-21-2018, 06:48 PM

The amount of fires has nothing to do with the pine beetle. Pine beetle kill is spotty in BC. Fires are burning north to south.
What pine beetle kill does is causes fires to be fast and furious.
We got our fingers crossed in Jasper..so far we've been lucky.
Just need to squeak through a few more days of dry weather then the rain/ showers are forecast. With nights dropping to low single digits we may survive this year.