Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2016, 11:00 AM

Default Forget about investing in oil stocks, go 420

The momentum is in medical marijuana stocks. Last couple weeks have seen huge gains. Biggest Canadian marijuana company has smashed through the $1 billion market cap level. The federal liberals are expected to announce legalization of marijuana in late winter/spring 2017. 2 biggest companies currently are Cgc and Aph.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:13 AM

Had some buddies tell me about Golden Leaf Holdings (GLH). Anyone know if this is a good MJ stock?
Old 11-15-2016, 11:23 AM

I owned canopy growth corp at 4.24 and now trading around 13$ I sold at 5.75 but I have friends holding on that have made upwards of 70k in the last 2 months. These companies are not yet profitable but price is driven up on buyers demand. I could see CGC hitting 25-30$ per share but these might end up falling out so it's purely a gamble. Lol I wish I was my friends right now hahaha.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:53 AM

Will legalization drive the price up or down though. I could see both scenarios playing out. Legalization will in theory increase demand, which could drive up the price. But I could also see it driving up the supply.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:01 PM

I brought this up 3 years ago. That was when there were only TWO legalized states.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=166820
Old 11-15-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Will legalization drive the price up or down though. I could see both scenarios playing out. Legalization will in theory increase demand, which could drive up the price. But I could also see it driving up the supply.
Legalization will increase the size of the market because new customers may not like to use the black market.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Banned

Old 11-15-2016, 01:38 PM

I brought this up last sept I believe? I bought a boat load of ACB Aurora Canibis in fall 2015.....
Old 11-15-2016, 01:49 PM

Without researching I can see some people making out big, BUT a lot of people losing huge. Is there any true asset worth to these companies or just a lot of smoke and hot air? To me it would be more gambling than investing at this point. Might be interesting to look at the potential of shorting at some point though. Big gamble either way.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:13 PM

I worked with a guy back in summer '15 was telling me he was six figures invested in the marijuana industry and had been for awhile and claimed to have already seen some major returns. I wonder how what his situation looks like now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
I brought this up 3 years ago. That was when there were only TWO legalized states.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=166820
If you were to have bought shares in all of those when that article was posted and still have them all today, you would be facing a fairly decent net loss. All of those stocks spiked in 2014, then dropped and never recovered.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_forget View Post
Legalization will increase the size of the market because new customers may not like to use the black market.
You can very easily order it off the internet without a prescription. BC already has a few big players doing it. I am not so sure the market will grow that much.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:48 PM

My prediction is provinces and the feds overtax marijuana and the black market players stick around and still are a major force that keeps the big companies from really being as profitable as people expect/hope.

I don't see the margins being as big in legal MJ, plus the taxation aspect will drive up the price giving illegal sellers a market they can exploit, and their larger margins will allow them to lower the price.

I also think the government will limit the strength of the legal MJ, opening up another market for the illegal sellers.

We'll see what happens????
Old 11-15-2016, 03:20 PM

There's huge potential for companies. Like thc pills for pain relief, and if they were covered by health/benefit plans the market would be huge.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
My prediction is provinces and the feds overtax marijuana and the black market players stick around and still are a major force ......
Current black market players will not have the power of the First Nation black and grey market players. They will easily dominate any overtax created black market, others will not stick around if they know whats good for them.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:19 PM

Sounds a lot like the 'dot-com' era to me. For every company which made it, 1000 crashed.

And the majority of people who made it did so on momentum plays. Not corporate earnings.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:23 PM
Banned

I bought 400 shares of Tweed after it dropped to sub $2 a share and sat on it.Between then and now Tweed got merged and the creation was Canopy Growth Corp which has been on fire in the last week.The stock has seen 5 days in a row of 10% + gains and today jumped $2.29 on volume of just shy of 13 million shares.Damn I would have loved to be the venture capitalist that threw 100 grand in financing them for a 5% stake.

That being said if the stock hits $18 a share I will happily sell.Sure wish I had pitched the 48 grand in my TFSA at Canopy a couple months back when it was $3 a share.Had I done so my target would now be $15 and it would all be tax free

FTH
Old 11-15-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
I brought this up last sept I believe? I bought a boat load of ACB Aurora Canibis in fall 2015.....
You have done very well then......
Old 11-15-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
You have done very well then......
up another .43 today!! wowzas!!
Old 11-15-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
up another .43 today!! wowzas!!
Buddy of mine made a killing on it as well. I hummed and hawed a little too long.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:12 AM

!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (64.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-16-2016, 08:20 AM

Nothing but green today. Strange making money in a sector I know very little about.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:22 AM

Trade halt and resumption for CGC. Wonder what that was about?

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-16-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Huge selling that triggered stop losses. Dropped 20% in 5 minutes. Happened to Aph as well. Atleast they are headed up again.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:04 AM

up another .83 so far!! WOW!!!
Old 11-16-2016, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdales View Post
I owned canopy growth corp at 4.24 and now trading around 13$ I sold at 5.75 but I have friends holding on that have made upwards of 70k in the last 2 months. These companies are not yet profitable but price is driven up on buyers demand. I could see CGC hitting 25-30$ per share but these might end up falling out so it's purely a gamble. Lol I wish I was my friends right now hahaha.

You,ll be good till its legalized , after that , SKYS THE LIMIT this is the next BRE-EX

l bought in at $2.75 YIPPIIIIIIIIII
Old 11-16-2016, 11:19 AM

Remember, this is trading like gold and diamond mines during the discovery and test drilling phases. They go up like crazy on greed and enthusiasm, but once the actual net earnings and sales become apparent they will drop like a stone back to their real values.

As long as you trade these on momentum and activity, and don't forget that based on real potential earnings these are WAY over priced, there is a lot of money to be made in short term buying and selling. Once they start to drop, sell fast and make sure you have stop losses in place in case the drop happens while you aren't looking.

If your stocks are up a lot it doesn't hurt to capture and lock in some profits along the way.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:24 AM
Banned

lf you own tweed or Aurora , don't sell till its legalized in April
Old 11-16-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskinner View Post
[...] this is the next BRE-EX
[...]
Yep, maybe sooner than you think. Hopefully nobody's gambling on credit.

It looks like there's a frothy top-formation starting to form today. I'd watch that very carefully and take some profit off the table.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post

It looks like there's a frothy top-formation starting to form today. .
That's because we are all cheering each other for the great gamble we took.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Market interferance was what it was about.Right about 9am Canopy was shooting up 25%+ and trading was halted.All told there were 8 halts to trading for Canopy and it was stupid and not needed at all.The first 3 halts killed the greed for the day and the 5 halts after that instilled fear.

More than 25 million shares traded today and the panic set into the small fry.People who bought in in the last week for paltry amounts less than a board lot.I also think a large number of heavy weighted holders of the stock started to unload and take profits and that was when the first trading halt hit.Last trade I saw before the halt was for a sell of 81,000 shares and the buy was for 88,000 and that was for $17.83

Hopefully the steady upward trend continues tomorrow and the market does not get stupid again.

FTH