Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 07:01 PM

Default Minimum Wage Revelations

Those workers are going to be so happy now with that $15 wage
increase..i'm certain Canada is fast behind the move.
--

"..As minimum wage levels approach or surpass $15 nationwide, restaurant customers expecting to be greeted by a smiling face will instead be welcomed by a glowing LED screen.

As of 2020, self-service ordering kiosks will be implemented at all U.S. McDonald’s locations.."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edrensi.../#77051f46f140
Old 07-19-2018, 07:04 PM

I highly doubt minimum wage earners will realize much benefit from the increase. They will just end up adding more to general revenue for the government of the day to waste frivolously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-19-2018, 07:30 PM
Banned

It’s so hard for young people starting out. I know I gambled my odds more than once making $8 an hour trying to keep a ruff over my head. Two years driving with no insurance becuase it was more than my rent etc etc,
Becuase I got it to give I don’t mind paying a bit more becuase I remember, been there and done that.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
I highly doubt minimum wage earners will realize much benefit from the increase. They will just end up adding more to general revenue for the government of the day to waste frivolously.
It's a basic scam this $15/hr thing, i keep hearing how employer's just
take from the waitress's tips pot (tip sharing) taking what she earned
rightfully & simply recoups costs by giving her proceeds to the cook/etc.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
They will just end up adding more to general revenue for the government

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The real reason for the increase.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:01 PM

Isn't this already the case? Its been several months, if not over a year, since the last time I was in a McDonalds without a kiosk.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:26 PM

Will do more harm then help the minimum wage earners. Hours cut or benefits cut? it’s starting at lot of places .
Old 07-19-2018, 10:19 PM

I think we should all boycott kiosks! I do!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:58 PM

All a minimum wage does is kill jobs and opportunities for unskilled workers. This is especially true in small towns with a lot small businesses. No reason someone should be forced for example to pay an apprentice 15 dollars an hour in a town like Hanna. Where rent is dirt cheap and you can walk almost everywhere.

Only reason there's a minimum wage is to protect union jobs from lower priced labor. You'll notice that the unions are usually the ones fighting for a higher minimum wage despite the fact that their workers usually earn higher rates of pay.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 07-19-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
I think we should boycott government and erase the minimum wage. We'd have such an influx of capital to Alberta that you could literally work at any job you'd like.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 07-19-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I think we should boycott government and erase the minimum wage. We'd have such an influx of capital to Alberta that you could literally work at any job you'd like.
I’m going with this as well..
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 07-20-2018, 01:22 AM

I'm a cash only kinda dude. For everything.

Enough said.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:19 AM

Minimum wage does NOT solve the problem. All the retailers cut back the hours to meet minimum wages, so what does that solve. But the government gets more and that is what it is all about. There was someone who said the waitress get less, but you know they are not suppose to. In the U.S. they are allowed to cut back on tips, for an example. If an employee makes $5.00 an hour they are allowed to cut back 20% or whatever, that is why some employees over there pay just to work there, they make up more difference in tips. In Canada, as I understand it, employees sometimes must share their tip money with the cooks and whatever. But there is a way to get around that, tip in cash. When the bill comes, pay with credit card or whatever, and tip in cash. The owner is force to pay the minimum wage and the waitress keeps the cash. Just my two cents!
Old 07-20-2018, 06:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
. But there is a way to get around that, tip in cash. When the bill comes, pay with credit card or whatever, and tip in cash. The owner is force to pay the minimum wage and the waitress keeps the cash. Just my two cents!
Of course you are banking on the waitperson being dishonest and not playing by her employers rules (which could mean their job if found out). Most will play by the rules.
On the other hand...most here are correct.
Minimum wage is supposed to be just to get you into the workforce at which point you will try and better your position. It was never meant to be a living wage.
Where I work...even though by three months no one is making minimum wage the impact has been that we've hired less and expected those working to do the extra work (not necessarily a bad thing). We have people starting out with more (that they would have been making after they proved their worth anyway)...but fewer people have a job. And some of the perks we had for the last 40 years are gone.
Seems like a lose-lose situation all round as I know many in the retail end of things in Alberta have done the same as us.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:53 AM

Now that all those waiters/waitresses/minimum wage workers are making a “living wage” because apparently that is a right, why would anyone tip anymore?
Old 07-20-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Only reason there's a minimum wage is to protect union jobs from lower priced labor. You'll notice that the unions are usually the ones fighting for a higher minimum wage despite the fact that their workers usually earn higher rates of pay.
What? The only two places I’ve ever worked at that paid minimum wage ($5 - $6/hour) were union places.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:09 AM

Default Bill Gate's view

Bill Gates thinks that, as automation makes jobs obsolete, governments should impose a tax on robots.
While this plan is not yet an accepted solution, Gates has stated that we need to at the very least start talking about what we will do about job loss in this age of automation.

https://futurism.com/bill-gates-says...-to-pay-taxes/

Company's should pay taxes/benefits for displaced workers
Old 07-20-2018, 08:11 AM

I don't eat at McDonald's but have seen these self service kiosks at McDonald's in Airports (in the US) for a few years now - they are up and operating and have been for a long time.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I don't eat at McDonald's but have seen these self service kiosks at McDonald's in Airports (in the US) for a few years now - they are up and operating and have been for a long time.
I really only eat at McDonalds when travelling, but I have been seeing these Kiosks for years. This is no new thing at all.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Now that all those waiters/waitresses/minimum wage workers are making a “living wage” because apparently that is a right, why would anyone tip anymore?
Did you just tip because you thought they weren't paid enough, rather than for good/exceptional service?

For what it's worth, most people making minimum wage aren't "kids doing their first job". They're mostly single women, with the demographic showing strong representation of single mothers, and older recently divorced women.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
Minimum wage does NOT solve the problem. All the retailers cut back the hours to meet minimum wages, so what does that solve. But the government gets more and that is what it is all about. There was someone who said the waitress get less, but you know they are not suppose to. In the U.S. they are allowed to cut back on tips, for an example. If an employee makes $5.00 an hour they are allowed to cut back 20% or whatever, that is why some employees over there pay just to work there, they make up more difference in tips. In Canada, as I understand it, employees sometimes must share their tip money with the cooks and whatever. But there is a way to get around that, tip in cash. When the bill comes, pay with credit card or whatever, and tip in cash. The owner is force to pay the minimum wage and the waitress keeps the cash. Just my two cents!
This is not correct, leaving a cash tip can help them circumvent tax as if they get audited the government goes through debit/credit card slips to determine average tip % for them.

A server tips out to the kitchen/bussers/hostess/bartenders based on there total sales. so if a server rings out $1500 in there shift, they tip out 3-5% to the kitchen/bussers/hostess's etc. if the server made 15% the server made $225 in tips and at 5% tipped out 75 to tip pool for everyone else. Leaves the Server with $150 in tips. a shift is about 4-6 hours on average so at 6 hours the server made $25/hr tips and $15 per hour wage=$40.00/hr.

That 3-5% to the kitchen and support staff works out to about $2-$4/hour on top of there $15-$18 wage so an average of 17-22/hr for the cook/busser/hostess etc.

If you do not tip your waitress on a $150 bill then he/she will have to pay the tip pool the 3-5% so $7.50 to have served you.

A server is never really making minimum wage, and in all honesty did not need an increase in wage. Restaurants need to make up that lost income, so they have less servers on less cooks on.

The restaurant also increases there menu prices to help offset the new cost, which everyone ends up paying.

The increase should not have been applied to restaurants that serve Alcohol, or at least not the whole increase.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:56 AM

Big problem with a minimum wage, is those that are not worth or can't produce at least $15/hour of value for the company remain unemployed.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
I do too.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:09 AM

Sky is still up there despite the foreboding prophecy’s of some of AO’s leading o’pundits regarding the impact of minimum wage adjustments.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Sky is still up there despite the foreboding prophecy’s of some of AO’s leading o’pundits regarding the impact of minimum wage adjustments.
I don't have many buddies, that make minimum wage, but those that do are very happy with the change. Its put more money in their pockets and no-one I know has had their hours cut - which sounds about right as restaurant receipts at an all time high. There are lots of minimum wage jobs that have no tips - I'm glad that my mother in law makes a couple more bucks an hour in her retail job.

The sky is falling rhetoric is just that. There's only so many times you can cry wolf about the minimum wage and the carbon tax as Alberta continues to have the fastest growing economy and highest wages in the country.

Automation is coming to all industries, got nothing to do with minimum wage. Just wait till Suncor fully implements their driverless trucks.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
This is not correct, leaving a cash tip can help them circumvent tax as if they get audited the government goes through debit/credit card slips to determine average tip % for them.

A server tips out to the kitchen/bussers/hostess/bartenders based on there total sales. so if a server rings out $1500 in there shift, they tip out 3-5% to the kitchen/bussers/hostess's etc. if the server made 15% the server made $225 in tips and at 5% tipped out 75 to tip pool for everyone else. Leaves the Server with $150 in tips. a shift is about 4-6 hours on average so at 6 hours the server made $25/hr tips and $15 per hour wage=$40.00/hr.

That 3-5% to the kitchen and support staff works out to about $2-$4/hour on top of there $15-$18 wage so an average of 17-22/hr for the cook/busser/hostess etc.

If you do not tip your waitress on a $150 bill then he/she will have to pay the tip pool the 3-5% so $7.50 to have served you.

A server is never really making minimum wage, and in all honesty did not need an increase in wage. Restaurants need to make up that lost income, so they have less servers on less cooks on.

The restaurant also increases there menu prices to help offset the new cost, which everyone ends up paying.

The increase should not have been applied to restaurants that serve Alcohol, or at least not the whole increase.
Talked to a waitress I know. Since the min wage increase her tip out was increased to 7.5%. And like you said its based on what she rang through the till....not on what she actually got.....doesn't matter......if someone tips her 5% on a big tab, she's on the hook for 2.5% of that tab.

The tip out increase (2.5% of tab) goes to the "management" and if she objects......she's out of a job. Wanna bet that out of the other 5%, the kitchen staff only seen half???

She indicated that she is actually taking less home now.....her wages have gone up but, customers are tipping lower and the management skim is higher equating to less overall for her.

Its a zero sum game when no additional value has been created....only a XXX fool would think otherwise.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:21 PM

I’ll raise you your one annecdotal with three others. I know several servers... the raise didn’t raise food prices.. and tips are strong as ever. There’s been no clawback in three different restaraunts as business is up at all three.

Your forgetting that min wagers are ‘easy money in, easy money put’.... seems to me like they are just spending more because they are earning more.... kind of a stimulation effect there.

But we all know Keynes was wrong...

Looks like that ole sky ain’t falling.

Maybe someone should pull a redirect now... so we can be dollar scared about something else now.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-20-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
The sky is still up there after two world wars, where millions of people died, so I guess that whether the sky falls or not is a good measure of whether something is good or bad for society.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 07-20-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Did you just tip because you thought they weren't paid enough, rather than for good/exceptional service?

For what it's worth, most people making minimum wage aren't "kids doing their first job". They're mostly single women, with the demographic showing strong representation of single mothers, and older recently divorced women.
I would tip because a former minimum wage worker, that doesn’t earn a living wage, gave me good service and why not reward good work. But since the wage is now livable I see no real need to tip extra. And I don’t agree that the minimum wage should be a wage that you can live on, so I didn’t support the increase, nor the government that made it so, but I am inclined to think that many people who do earn minimum wage likely do support the increase, maybe not all, but I would guess that most do. So I imagine they voted for the government that promised to make it happen. So they should all be thrilled that I don’t tip, because they don’t need it. After all, this is the wage that they can live on.... right.

Have a great day.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:43 PM

My buzz cut, at Tommy Guns went from $10.50 to 17 bucks.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB