Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2018, 12:34 PM

Default Neighbour not co-operating to build a fence(Walden)

So i have this neighboring lady next door who agreed for acommon fence on one side of our property. She initially asked me to be built by her brother for $43/Lin feet and i found a new contractor for $30/lin feet and i said no to her brother. Since her other side neighbor is building for $32/lin ft, She asked me is that ok for me to hire that contractor & i agreed, since is less hassle on my side and $2 more than mine. Yesterday when i went to talk to her about why she did not start the fence yet, she mentioned it did not work out with her contractor and want to go with my my guy, but she don't want to sign any contract. When i asked her to meet the contractor i am bringing and ask all the questions she wanted, she refused saying he is my contractor and she want to only deal with me. She asked me about how deep is the posting and what style etc? i said talk to the contractor and she refused. How can i resolve the issue? Any idea folks? Basically am getting the idea, she is picking the fight since i did not hire her brother and she want a free fence now.. What to do?
Old 08-16-2018, 12:50 PM

I had both neighbours refuse to help pay or anything else.So I built what I wanted on each side alto all on my property. They did not like it but there was nothing they do as I checked the village bylaws. Piker
Old 08-16-2018, 01:01 PM

Why not just answer her questions? Show her a picture of the fence style, posts 3' in the ground backfilled with concrete then clay, etc.

I would not proceed without the contract though unless you don't mind paying for all of it.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:02 PM

Default Get it in writing

Whatever is the outcome, do not proceed to build it on the line with expectation that she will pay half until you have it in writing, signed by her, with an independent witness. The agreement can be simple but should contain all the essentials, such as the estimated full price, general style of fencing, confirmation of acceptance of contractor, time within which she will reimburse you, etc. Just in the past couple of years I have seen several cases of deadbeats agreeing verbally and then reneging and denying everything after it is done. With the written agreement you can enforce the matter via civil claim if she defaults.
If she won't agree to acceptable arrangements in writing, you are better off to build what you want on your side up against the line and leave her out of it. Perhaps paint her side flourescent pink ....?
Old 08-16-2018, 02:04 PM

Default Thanks

Guys ,

She knows all, i dont know whether she is acting smart or something. She asked me, are they going to put concrete? i was confused and i gowell thats the only way they will do (or) do you know any other way they can do the fence? She goes, oh you dont know then......am like wtf bitch...She shows a 4X6 and asks me tell me what it is? so i go is 4X4...she goes no is 4X6...am like how is this relevant to building fence as our rate includes all material and of course my contractors quote includes 4x6 each post and 6x6 on the corner ones. i got ****ed off and said f..off and walked away.

AG
Old 08-16-2018, 02:08 PM

Default re: schmedlap

Thats exactly she wants Schmed..she wants a free fence and she knows by picking these kind of fights we will back off and build our ownfence and tadaaaaaaa i got a free fence, thats her plan.

My question is if am building the fence from my pocket

1. Can i build it on the property line? in that case can i remove when i want since i paid for it?

2. Am planning to build the other 2 sides and put a chain link in the side shared with her. Now she will think , oh i have fence on 2 sides and she will cover the third side, then i will remove the chain link fence and make her build the fence or share it?

3.I can build totally on my side and put nasty images and colors on her side, but inside my property. But once the fence is up, how can i go her side of my fence to paint? thats another question.

AG
Old 08-16-2018, 02:08 PM

Exclamation

base on the above reply ,she is..... with you, then just build it on your sideof property line as you see fit . looks like you are on your own and she will not paid up .

Last edited by sns2; 08-16-2018 at 02:38 PM. Reason: swearing
Old 08-16-2018, 02:18 PM

Default fence

get her money up front or you will be eating the whole bill
Old 08-16-2018, 02:28 PM
Banned

Why not get the contractor to write up a contract for both of you with half the cost going to each of you. Let him deal with her and place a lien on her home if she doesn't pay the bill. If she refuses to sign the contract then you know that she's just dicking around.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Why not get the contractor to write up a contract for both of you with half the cost going to each of you. Let him deal with her and place a lien on her home if she doesn't pay the bill. If she refuses to sign the contract then you know that she's just dicking around.
This ^^^^. Even though both neighbors were great, and I chose the contractor, I still did this.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:39 PM

Her brother is coaching her....she probably knows nothing about fencing but he is probably pi**ed he isn’t getting the work at $43
Old 08-16-2018, 02:43 PM

Default RE: Thanks

HoytCRX32

Yep am sure brother is telling her all. But am not stupid to pay 43/lin feet. Basically that ah want to charge me double, so she gets for free....which is not going to happen with me.

Hunter,

I requested her to meet the contractor and i told her, is not my contractor and i found this guy in kijjiji for both of us and you can ask whatever question you want. She goes" well i dont want to talk to your contractor" i only deal with you. Am like you f..b...she really wants a free fence.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:48 PM

" Good fences make good neighbours"
Old 08-16-2018, 03:10 PM

Round up

Water

10 ice cube trays

Mix well

Toss 2 trays every evening

Refill

Repeat
Old 08-16-2018, 03:44 PM

if you really want a fence build it 1 foot on your property and be done with it.Paint it or do whatever but just do it and dont let your neighbor touch her side until she pays up.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:25 PM

At this point if it was my call I would call her on her BS and put an ultimatum to her.

Look you can either work with me amicably and split the cost of a nice fence 50/50 or I will build a 6' chainlink fence fully inside my properly and you will be left to a) sit and look at my chainlink or b) will have to pay for a fence to cover my chainlink fence and it'll be 100% on your dime and on your property. Think it over and let me know in two days because otherwise I'll be ordering the chainlink and getting my project started....have a good day.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:13 PM

what is the reason for the fence?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-16-2018, 05:21 PM

$30/ft at 100 ft? just pay for it yourself and pick your own colors. One for her side and one for your side. Build on your lot and forget the headache of dealing with your neighbor. If you feel ripped about how she's dealing then paint her side something obnoxious.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Round up

Water

10 ice cube trays

Mix well

Toss 2 trays every evening

Refill

Repeat
That was good for a serious belly laugh!!!! Thanks!!!!
Old 08-16-2018, 05:34 PM

Glad that's your neighbor I would loose it in her, what a piece. Feed her some pot brownies maybe she'll smarten up.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:35 PM

The neighbour fence thing has been going on since biblical times. I too have lived it. Frustrating...
Old 08-16-2018, 05:53 PM

I had the same sorta issue, so all I did was move the fence on my property and I built it the way I wanted and the neighbors had no say in it. ( Make sure you paint the boards hot pink) on the neighbors side and tell them don't touch your fence.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:54 PM

If you build the fence on your property, one foot over the property line, is it possible for adverse possession to apply?
Old 08-16-2018, 06:32 PM
Banned

Why stress out about what she says or won’t do or whatever .
Sure,having someone share the cost is great if they are amicable.
If they aren’t do your own thing and not worry about it .
Sure she gets part of a fence but you get all of it.

Better than an ongoing fued over a fence
Old 08-16-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
I had the same sorta issue, so all I did was move the fence on my property and I built it the way I wanted and the neighbors had no say in it. ( Make sure you paint the boards hot pink) on the neighbors side and tell them don't touch your fence.
If this was actually done - pictures would be worth 1000 words.

Not sure I know anyone that would *actually* follow through with this. Although I live in the country and we don't really have these issues, I kind of think this is the only way to deal with this.

Give up 1' of your yard for complete satisfaction against an a***ole neighbor.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post

Not sure I know anyone that would *actually* follow through with this. Although I live in the country and we don't really have these issues, I kind of think this is the only way to deal with this.

Give up 1' of your yard for complete satisfaction against an a***ole neighbor.
Yup that all I did is moved it 6" in on each side of my property line.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
Old 08-17-2018, 07:38 AM

Boy am I glad that I have good neighbors. The lady to the one side where I’d not yet done any new fence approached me about a week agoand offered to pay for 1/2 of a new one. With her I won’t need anything on paper, I’ve done repairs for her previously and for one job she paid me more than I asked. We’ve been neighbors for 12 years but that existing sorry excuse for a fence is from the 1950’s

I’d be doing the build just as I had with the rest of the fence, but I’m weird and enjoy that kind of stuff.

As for the unpleasant neighbor, get everything in writing, don’t hesitate to record all interactions on video either. HunterDaves suggestion of getting the contractor to split the quote from their side is the best idea suggested. Also, kijiji is not the best spot to find contractors because it’s not the best place to find clients. I advertised there once and it was mostly tire kickers and price gougers so far as calls I received so I concluded it was a waste of time. The client quality tends to dictate the contractor quality, Kijiji seems to be where poor examples of both seem to congregate.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 08-17-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:54 AM

Figure out material costs and see if you can offer her to pay for materials while she pays for labor. Then she can work out whatever bs deal she wants with her brother and if it all falls through, you will have the materials and can build what you want on your property.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:55 AM

Why not agree to let her brother build the fence and you don’t pay your half after he is done? That is basically what she is trying to do to you with your contractors. But you also have to make sure you are a jerk about the whole process. I know it would be tough to do this if you are like most of us and have a conscience.

Seriously tho you might have to give in and let her brother build it vs paying the whole shot and building it inside your property line. Sounds like that is your cheapest option.

Tags
fence