Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-04-2012, 08:12 AM

Default Cowlick Creek Trail info

I'm starting to explore around the grande cache/willmore area and have been up through mt stearn and kvass flats area a couple times now and want to do some more hiking down the cowlick creek trail. I've been trying to do some research on it and can't really seem to find all that much detailed info on it other then the little map on the pamphlet from the tourism center. I was wanting to try to get in there this weekend but don't know how the trail conditions would be this time of year, are they still pretty sloppy this time of year or should I wait more for august to explore it? And am also wondering about distances to get back in there, ie. about how many km to the southeast corner of mount russell? I know the best way to find out is to put the boots to the ground, and I plan on doing that, but would just like a bit of general info on the trail before I head in there, is the trail marked quite well or is there sections I need to pay very close attention too? Thank you for any info you guys can give.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:20 AM
sheephunter

You'd need to cross the Sulphur to get to Mt. Russell....that's not something that can be done on foot that many days of the year. It's a long hike up and over Hayden Ridge and I'd say depending on your shape that you are likely looking at a day and a half to get to the Sulphur cabin. The trail is pretty well marked but there are a couple confusing junctions that you need to watch.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:07 PM

Thanks sheep, that's the info I was looking for. I messed up where the boundaries are and put in for 442 non-trophy sheep instead of 440, now I'm trying to fix my lack of pre-researching. Looks like my best bet is going to be finding a canoe and heading across the smokey and up mawdsley.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:53 AM

PM sent.