Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 PM

Default Hunting Zone recommendations within few hrs of Calgary

Hi All,

I am new to Alberta. Have been going through the hunting draws booklets for the last couple of weeks trying to figure out what WMUs to put in for within a 2-3 hr distance from Calgary. 406/408 looked OK from just looking at the harvest reports.

Would very much appreciate any and all guidance and recommendations from folks familiar with the area on what WMUs to apply for that have good access and wildlife. Would like to put in for both antlerless and antlered for whitetail and mule. Antlerless elk and cow or calf moose.

Eventually I would be very happy to just get out a few times, and harvest one animal this season. I will get a bear tag as well. Not sure if there are good bear grounds nearby though.

Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahunt View Post
Hi All,

I am new to Alberta. Have been going through the hunting draws booklets for the last couple of weeks trying to figure out what WMUs to put in for within a 2-3 hr distance from Calgary. 406/408 looked OK from just looking at the harvest reports.

Would very much appreciate any and all guidance and recommendations from folks familiar with the area on what WMUs to apply for that have good access and wildlife. Would like to put in for both antlerless and antlered for whitetail and mule. Antlerless elk and cow or calf moose.

Eventually I would be very happy to just get out a few times, and harvest one animal this season. I will get a bear tag as well. Not sure if there are good bear grounds nearby though.

Thanks again!
Well the draw book applies to draws only. THere are many many general tags you can pick up from any hunting license retailer (canadian tire is good) So draws are good to apply but most will take a few years to be able to get. apply for all or most of the draws and buy your general tags! spend some time looking at google earth, pick up the central and south alberta backroads map books and some county landowners maps. Now the fun part, buy a bunch of gas and go out and check out the areas you find on google earth to make sure they will hold animals. Contact landowners if need be or stick to crown land, but county land maps will help differenciate if you are close to farming lands. Hope this helps, I would type more but I am offline for supper
Old 06-20-2012, 10:46 AM

Thanks! So if i apply for a draw for Antlerless mule deer but do got get it, I can still buy a over the counter tag for Antlerless mule deer?

Also would appreciate any recommendations on WMUs near Calgary that I should apply for. I am going into this pretty cold.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks! So if i apply for a draw for Antlerless mule deer but do got get it, I can still buy a over the counter tag for Antlerless mule deer?

Also would appreciate any recommendations on WMUs near Calgary that I should apply for. I am going into this pretty cold.
There is an Antlered Mule Deer General only..I believe it is only for WMU 316 in Southern Alberta...You could get drawn in the first year for Cow Elk or Whitetail in 406/408 but it is Wildland and Park with No Quads. 408 has only Corridors to hunt..Be Careful.Also, If you do draw a Whitetail then you cannot buy a General tag..General Whitetail and Supplemental tag are open in many WMU's..You may have to get a WMU map and start driving around to see which ones you would like to Hunt..Forest Reserve along the Trunk Road North and South of Calgary make nice drives..
Old 06-20-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomE View Post
There is an Antlered Mule Deer General only..I believe it is only for WMU 316 in Southern Alberta...You could get drawn in the first year for Cow Elk (NOPE) or Whitetail in 406/408 but it is Wildland and Park with No Quads. 408 has only Corridors to hunt..Be Careful.Also, If you do draw an ANTLERED Whitetail then you cannot buy a General tag..General Whitetail and Supplemental tag are open in many WMU's..You may have to get a WMU map and start driving around to see which ones you would like to Hunt..Forest Reserve along the Trunk Road North and South of Calgary make nice drives..
Fixed it for you.

And stay away from WMU's south of Calgary. There is very little game there, just lots of trucks driving around all day.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Fixed it for you.

And stay away from WMU's south of Calgary. There is very little game there, just lots of trucks driving around all day.
I was drawn Priority 0 for Cow elk WMU 408.about 9-10 yrs ago..We lucked in and got one but it's nuts figuring out the Hunting Corridors..Wouldn't go back..Too many Hikers..lol..The Hunting's real good around Okotoks I hear though....and South...
Old 06-20-2012, 04:33 PM

ya alot of trucks driving around down south

CN
Old 06-20-2012, 05:20 PM

try areas 316,412,414, just to start whitetail and antlered mule deer general,412,414 have antlered moose draws, takes a few years but lots of moose. most of these areas are crown land and no permission needed, about an hour drive from calgary. lots of deer, not many trophys, but lots of deer.also a healthy bear population/
Old 06-20-2012, 08:05 PM

Default wmus

wouldnt bother with ,314,316,318 as they are full of city guys driving around and around in their shinny lifted trucks.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrude1 View Post
wouldnt bother with ,314,316,318 as they are full of city guys driving around and around in their shinny lifted trucks.
All WMU's within an hour or two of any city or town, are the same
Old 06-23-2012, 07:31 PM

Thanks a lot!! That helps.
One question: Say I apply for a elk or moose draw (only 1st choice, leaving 2 and 3 blank) and do not get drawn. Will I get a priority point and still be able to buy a general elk tag for non draw season?
Old 06-23-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot!! That helps.
One question: Say I apply for a elk or moose draw (only 1st choice, leaving 2 and 3 blank) and do not get drawn. Will I get a priority point and still be able to buy a general elk tag for non draw season?
yes , if you do not get drawn , your priority keeps building and you continue buying general tags .. this is for all species , once u are drawn u are allocated to that zone only for that animal !!
Old 06-23-2012, 11:37 PM

Thanks!