Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2015, 10:37 AM

Default Skeeter boats.

I would like to get anyone's appinion on a skeeter boat. Pros ?? Cons?? Anyone own one. Would you buy one.

Just looking to buy a boat and one came up in Ontario.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:47 AM

Seen the odd one. If I am not mistaken they are quite expensive.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:59 PM

I had one for a couple years. Very well made and they handle very well. PM me if you have any more questions.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:45 PM

Yeah glass boats are a wee bit pricey but you can't beat the ride...I have a buddy in North Dakota who has a multi-species Stratos, best boat I've ever been in and a little easier on the wallet than the Skeeter, Nitro and Rangers out there!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:14 PM

I sold my aluminum hull boat in the fall and transitioned to a fibreglass bass-hull ProCraft that I bought in the USA this winter. I can't wait. The performance of these fibreglass fishing boats cannot be beat as Rasbok mentioned...
Old 03-17-2015, 06:57 PM

Fiberglass walleye boats are a whole new world of ride quality. Once you've run rough water and fished out of a glass boat it's REALLY hard to go back to aluminum, the difference is night and day.

I believe Skeeter is owned by Yamaha. I've only seen a couple in person, but from what I've read online they make a good boat. My only concern would be the lack of dealer support. There are no dealers west of Ontario that I'm aware of.

Warrior, Lund, Yarcraft, and Ranger all make premium glass boats and have dealerships in AB and SK. I'd take a look at them first if it were me.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:07 AM

Fiberglass fishing boats are the way to go if you are not beaching your boat and weight isn't an issue. The extra weight adds stability, but the extra weight also requires bigger trailers, motors etc.. which get pricey.

Take a 20' boat for example - A Lund Glass Tyee ($70,000) versus a Aluminum Tyee retail for ($50,000).

Due to the added weight you need to the upgrade on motor, going from a 200hp to 300hp and there's another $10,000 to add.

Better ride and performance comes at a price .... but I'd say if you can afford it, go for it.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:39 AM

Beaching a fibreglass boat is a non-issue, especially if you've got a keel guard. You aren't going to do any damage to a glass boat that you won't be doing to your aluminum boat.

The weight difference between glass and aluminum boats surprises most people. Glass boats have come a long way in their construction, and the difference is not nearly as much as most people think. On comparable models it's generally no more than 100-300 lbs, or one guy in the boat. Trailers are trailers when you get into 18-20+ ft boats, they'll all be the same width and close the same weight, and they should be tandem axle.

Outboard HP recommendations on glass and aluminum boats in the 18-20 range are going to be close, a 50HP difference at most depending on manufacturer and model. Performance will be very close HP for HP as well due to the improved efficiency in fiberglass hulls. Ride quality will be night and day.

MSRP price on a 208 Tyee (glass) - boat, motor, trailer only, no accessories = $84,000 CDN, 2075 Tyee (aluminium) - same specs, $73,500 CDN. About a $10,000 difference on the Lunds. Depending on brand, if you shop around comparing apples to apples, you can get into a glass boat for very close to the same money as a comparable aluminum.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:38 PM

Just a heads up...ontario taxes used boats and u will get a bill in the mail...transaction must be completed in ab to avoid the tax so be aware. It's a good chunk of change