Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2015, 12:36 PM

Default Checking title on used quad?

I am looking at buying a new (to me) quad and considering a slightly used unit. With all the stories of guys getting their quads stolen, I was wondering how you go about checking the title on a used quad to ensure that it is not a stolen unit? S/N at the registry office? Thanks.

SS
Old 11-30-2015, 12:43 PM

i used my local quad dealership to look up the VIN number. i paid $25 for the service. It came back as $5000 still owing on it, even though the seller said it was paid in full and no lien on it
That was the best $25 i ever spent
Old 11-30-2015, 12:48 PM

I know zip about quads. Are they licensed like motor vehicles? If so you should be able to see the ownership history by using a service like Car Proof.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:54 PM
Banned

The registry office should be able to look up the vehicle history, at a cost of course. I don't know if it would show stolen vehicle but I'm pretty sure that it shows vehicle write offs.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Banned

http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/searchformvin.cfm
That covers stolen vehicles reported to the police.

For a lien youd have to goto a registry.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:20 PM

Look up Personal Property Security Registry Alberta on google.

This is for an ALBERTA Registration. There can be a Bank Act registration as well for Canada, but that is not usually searched unless it is a Canada wide Corporation selling the goods.

The registration search should be on NAME as well as for VIN. Therefore, ask to see the Driver's Licence for the proper spelling.

A person can have a "GENERAL SECURITY INTEREST" registered against them, which catches their assets as a "fixed and floating charge".

Be accurate on the VIN, its no excuse to get a number wrong, either registering or searching. If there is a hit, or the guy won't show a driver's licence, just walk away.

Drewski
Old 11-30-2015, 03:57 PM

A lien search will not show if the quad is stolen, I found this out the hard way. 3-4 years ago I bought an 07 king quad off a nice older gentlemen, did a lien search that came up with nothing owing, assumed it would tell me if there was any issues with. Fast forward three months and the police are knocking on my door telling me I registered a stolen quad and took it away... If I didn't register/insure it nobody would have ever known. Nice old guy played me like a fiddle, told me he was the only owner, never registered as it was a farm quad. Came out to my place for me to check it out because he was in the area anyways he said, we did the old hand written bill of sale with no id. I will never fall for this again, 4500 lesson, boy was the wife mad lol. I asked the police how come it took so long and they said it takes that long for the registries system and their database to "talk"
Old 11-30-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I know zip about quads. Are they licensed like motor vehicles? If so you should be able to see the ownership history by using a service like Car Proof.
And yet there you are running your mouth off just the same. Good Grief man! Do you have some kind of disorder that you have to stick your nose in every thread?

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 11-30-2015, 05:02 PM

If you belong to AMA, it'll cost you $11.60 for a lien search. I did it by phone and they'll email you the report.

That's an awesome link, crunchiesgp!

Last edited by Deb; 11-30-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
If you belong to AMA, it'll cost you $11.60. I did it by phone and they'll email you the report.
Or if it's stolen you're worried about you could do it for free on the link I already posted that directly searches the police stolen vehicle database.