Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2024, 09:27 PM

Excellent game. Well played. Huberdeau was noticeable on the ice
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-06-2024, 10:48 PM

Thank You Vegas couldn't stand listening to the Oiler fans for the next 40yrs.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:42 PM

I’ll take the win. Started off shaky but ended strong.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-12-2024, 02:24 PM

Nerding out on the stats a bit in that last game...

-Calgary had 3 SOG in the 3rd period;
-Calgary scores 2 goals in the 3rd period; and,
-Varlamov had a 1.00 SA% in the 3rd period.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:23 PM

Well I hope that game last night ends all the ideas about trading Markstrom Wolf might be good but he is not ready to be the 1A yet. IMO
Old 02-16-2024, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
Well I hope that game last night ends all the ideas about trading Markstrom Wolf might be good but he is not ready to be the 1A yet. IMO
Think it really just boils down to what teams are offering for him. He's having a phenomenal year, sell high, I'd be okay with, we're probably not making the playoffs anyway. Trade Markstrom, Tanev, and Hanifin, go into the off season with $30M in cap space, six picks in the first two rounds, and this roster:

Huberdeau-Sharangovish-Kuzmenko
Zary-Kadri-Pospisil
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
Pelltier-Roony-Mercer

Weegar-Andersson
??-??
Kylington-Pachcal

Vladar-Wolf

Doesn't seem like a terrible plan. Maybe with the picks/cap space we take a shot at Reinhart, Zegras, Batherson, Pesce, etc.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Think it really just boils down to what teams are offering for him. He's having a phenomenal year, sell high, I'd be okay with, we're probably not making the playoffs anyway. Trade Markstrom, Tanev, and Hanifin, go into the off season with $30M in cap space, six picks in the first two rounds, and this roster:

Huberdeau-Sharangovish-Kuzmenko
Zary-Kadri-Pospisil
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
Pelltier-Roony-Mercer

Weegar-Andersson
??-??
Kylington-Pachcal

Vladar-Wolf

Doesn't seem like a terrible plan. Maybe with the picks/cap space we take a shot at Reinhart, Zegras, Batherson, Pesce, etc.
Yup. I buy what you’re selling.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:17 PM

Well it better be an unbelievable good offer you have one of the NHL's top goalie's signed for 2 more years at a reasonable price.
Old 02-17-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
well it better be an unbelievable good offer you have one of the nhl's top goalie's signed for 2 more years at a reasonable price.
agreed
Old 02-17-2024, 03:52 PM

He’s incredible.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Well it better be an unbelievable good offer you have one of the NHL's top goalie's signed for 2 more years at a reasonable price.
Yea, I wouldn't move him for just a 1st or something.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:57 PM

Flames got it handed to them badly by a younger, faster and more motivated team.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Flames got it handed to them badly by a younger, faster and more motivated team.
Who you think you are? Howie Meeker reincarnate?
Old 02-17-2024, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Too me it seems like the game plan went from trying to win and almost get a playoff spot this year to not winning and almost getting first draft pick.

Someone should have called Edmonton earlier on to see how a team can maximize so many first picks.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:22 AM

Nice comeback game. Happy to see Oliver Kylington get a great goal and +3 on the night. Kadri is playing with some fire also which is good. Seeing Huberdeau actually shooting more is great too.

Now comes the wait on trades.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:58 AM

Playing six of the top eleven teams in the league in the next 10 games (or something close ).

What an annoying team though, hand it to Boston, NJ, and Winnipeg, then get blown up by San Jose and Detroit.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Playing six of the top eleven teams in the league in the next 10 games (or something close ).

What an annoying team though, hand it to Boston, NJ, and Winnipeg, then get blown up by San Jose and Detroit.
It’s funny how good teams always implode on the bottom dwellers.
Annoying is right.
I too wasn’t surprised that Boston, NJ, and Peg lost………
Kidding…… You wanting a big push now or big fail?
Old 02-20-2024, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
It’s funny how good teams always implode on the bottom dwellers.
Annoying is right.
I too wasn’t surprised that Boston, NJ, and Peg lost………
Kidding…… You wanting a big push now or big fail?
Har har har...

Well, playoff hockey is exciting and anything can happen, but I suppose I'd want the big fail right now. I believe Hanifin and Tanev are going to be traded, which, depending on how you look at it, are the Flames top pair. Which bumps Anderson and Weeger up, which is fine, but by association also bumps Kylington and Pachal up to our 2nd pair and who, Oesterle and Gilbert to our 3rd pair, which isn't great. Even with the team we currently have, before the trade, I can't see us beating Dallas/Colorado/Vancouver in seven games. I'd actually be kinda surprised if we won a game. A top 10 pick though and then possibly 3 more in the 1st round, sounds good.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:09 PM

First two periods and the Flames are taken it to the Oilers.

Oilers are looking like they want to be golfing.

That said… their third periods can be scary for the other team. Oilers are capable of parking 6 goals in the back of the net so let’s play hard team!

Kane… what a loser. Tries to spear a flame in the balls. Huge loser play.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:55 PM

Ya. Oilers brought nothing to the third period. Pretty lame effort but Flames played hard. Wanted it more.

Kane showed his lack of discipline in this game. In the playoffs Kane will be a penalty liability if teams target him hard.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:08 PM

Congrats. Played a tired team coming off back to back games and 4 games this week.
Flames did play a good game tonight.
I remember our 28th win of the season.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:16 AM

The flames were clearly the better team last night, beat the Oilers to every puck and won 90% of the puck battles, they were hungry, if they played every game like that they would not be looking to sell at the deadline

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Congrats. Played a tired team coming off back to back games and 4 games this week.
Not sure why they'd be tired, I'm hearing they've only showed up for about 60 minutes this week.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:49 AM

Flames were full value for that win.

I would not trade Markstrom. While rebuilding, you want the kids to still have a chance. The best chance to win is a great goalie. Keep him.

Rebuilding your team with Jeff Deslauriers et al in net is not a good thing.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Not sure why they'd be tired, I'm hearing they've only showed up for about 60 minutes this week.
lol. Oh Burn. lol
Old 02-25-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Flames were full value for that win.

I would not trade Markstrom. While rebuilding, you want the kids to still have a chance. The best chance to win is a great goalie. Keep him.
Probably the right choice, Vladar looked pretty good last night though.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Probably the right choice, Vladar looked pretty good last night though.
Watching the Oilers decade of darkness showed me the value of a goalie for the young kids. It’s a a necessity in my mind. Otherwise, when they run up against the big boys, it’s over in their minds before puck drop. Knowing you have a goalie who can stone teams is a damn good thing.
Old 02-25-2024, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Watching the Oilers decade of darkness showed me the value of a goalie for the young kids. It’s a a necessity in my mind. Otherwise, when they run up against the big boys, it’s over in their minds before puck drop. Knowing you have a goalie who can stone teams is a damn good thing.
Pretty good analysis from someone who actually saw it

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-26-2024, 04:31 PM

Wondering if Lindholm is regarding not signing that reportedly $9M/season contract the Flames offered him.

He currently has 13 goals and 38 points meaning he's on-pace for 18 goals and 52 points.

The salary range of active players with 10-16 goals and 35-41 points goes from $1M (JVR) to $7.75M (Sean Couturier) with an average of $4.70M/year. Coincidentally, Lindholm is currently making $4.85M/year. If he keeps it up, even if someone offers him $6M, that could be considered an overpay. Pretty sure nobody is coming close to $9M.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Wondering if Lindholm is regarding not signing that reportedly $9M/season contract the Flames offered him.

He currently has 13 goals and 38 points meaning he's on-pace for 18 goals and 52 points.

The salary range of active players with 10-16 goals and 35-41 points goes from $1M (JVR) to $7.75M (Sean Couturier) with an average of $4.70M/year. Coincidentally, Lindholm is currently making $4.85M/year. If he keeps it up, even if someone offers him $6M, that could be considered an overpay. Pretty sure nobody is coming close to $9M.
And that is exactly what I was thinking. He should have taken a 9M offer and ran to the closest pen to sign with.