Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABwapiti View Post
On November 17, 2010, the Alberta legislature passed what the government refers to as the most comprehensive distracted driving legislation in Canada. Bill 16, the Traffic Safety (Distracted Driving) Amendment Act, 2010, bans not only talking on cell phones and texting while driving but prohibits other activities while driving that do not involve electronic devices.

Hand held cell phones are banned. Under the legislation, it is illegal to hold, view or manipulate a device that receives or transmits telephone conversations, electronic data, emails and text messages. Not only are the sending and receiving such conversations or messages illegal while driving, but it is an offence if the screen of such device is able to be viewed by the driver. Televisions and computers and any device that has a screen that can be viewed by a driver gives rise to an offence under the legislation.

Reading, writing and sketching are also banned. It is also an offence under the act to perform acts of personal grooming or hygiene while operating a motor vehicle. Many similar laws in other jurisdictions do not prohibit activities unrelated to telephones and texting devices.

Read more at Suite101: Alberta Passes Comprehensive Distracted Driving Law http://www.suite101.com/content/albe...#ixzz1HkFvTDlL
Will taxi drivers and police officers who have dash mounted computers to recieve calls and information be included in this new law.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:21 AM
Banned

so are these things computers? Can you use excel and word on them?
Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
Please point out where I specifically referred to you? I did'nt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
A fool and their money soon part! Another piece of unnecessary crap for spoiled teenagers and twentysomethings to waste their or their parents money on.
Painting people with a pretty wide brush there. Having an iPad has nothing to do with someone driving irresponsibly. What happened to you was ridiculous and preventable.

Why am I a fool for buying an iPad?
Old 03-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
so are these things computers? Can you use excel and word on them?
My daughter has one and I believe that "yes" you can. In my work, I use highly specialized and proprietary software to run diagnostics on large stationary engines and compressors which will not run on an iPad. If it wasn't for that specific requirement, I'd probably get one. Mind you, my super techno-geek daughter will likely donate hers when she upgrades as she can't stand being a version behind.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Painting people with a pretty wide brush there. Having an iPad has nothing to do with someone driving irresponsibly. What happened to you was ridiculous and preventable.

Why am I a fool for buying an iPad?
You're exactly right, having one has nothing to do with driving irresponsibly, having one mounted to your dashboard and using it while driving like the guy I mentioned in my OP does. You are also right in saying that what happened to us was ridiculous, that driver paid and will continue to pay a heavy price for years to come. Maybe I was a little judgemental in labeling all new gadget users in the same lot, I understand that some people need these things for work related purposes, luckily I don't so I have no need for them, I don't even have a cellphone! Ha! It is really irritating though when you see someone walking toward you with their nose buried in some texting machine completely oblivious to everything around them including the people that they almost knock over, or some dumb bimbo standing in the line at the supermarket yakking away on a cellphone in an incredibly loud voice so she can make sure that everyone around her knows she is going to a Ruth's Chris' Steakhouse for supper. So no you're not a fool for buying one, I just have a true dislike for all those things, did'nt mean to ruffle your feathers. Cheers!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:58 AM

I have had mine since Friday, and I have to say I like it. The differences between the 2 are subtle, unless you have used 1 extensively. The dual core processor is much faster, battery life seems definately higher, although 1 was not bad, the camera is a wasted feature on me, as is the smaller size and less weight, but that is the platform Apple is riding on.

More cons- there are no viruses that will affect the IPAD, hance no need to waste money on antivirus software, or free ones that take up space and memory. It has a gyroscope built in, so movements are precise and rapid. The tracking and mapping features are excellent, we use it all the time. Google earth on an ipad is amazing, we were able to look into the hotel we stayed at in Hawaii, then 'walk' everywhere we toured. It is so much nicer to carry than a laptop, is running in seconds, and does almost everything a laptop will anyway.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-29-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I have had mine since Friday, and I have to say I like it. The differences between the 2 are subtle, unless you have used 1 extensively. The dual core processor is much faster, battery life seems definately higher, although 1 was not bad, the camera is a wasted feature on me, as is the smaller size and less weight, but that is the platform Apple is riding on.

More cons- there are no viruses that will affect the IPAD, hance no need to waste money on antivirus software, or free ones that take up space and memory. It has a gyroscope built in, so movements are precise and rapid. The tracking and mapping features are excellent, we use it all the time. Google earth on an ipad is amazing, we were able to look into the hotel we stayed at in Hawaii, then 'walk' everywhere we toured. It is so much nicer to carry than a laptop, is running in seconds, and does almost everything a laptop will anyway.

these sound like pros not cons??
Old 03-29-2011, 11:36 AM

heehee sorry, TWT (typing while telephoning) lol

Yes, PROS for sure.

I was still laughing about the 'other' thread

Maybe my cognisant skills are slipping too

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....