Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
thanks. let us know about access if you don't mind got a long way to get over there.

Dace
actually my wife is looking over my shoulder and tells me i might have time tomorrow.

i sure will give an update as soon as i have some answers.....unless someone beats me to it.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:54 PM

I really like the 52 Buick
Old 04-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Banned

Although dry fly fishing is probably the most exciting, I fish with mostly subsurface flies, as trout feed about 90% under the surface.
Dry Flies (I don't fish these very often)
Elk Hair Caddis
Chernobyll
Stimulator

Nymphs
Chrinomids silver, (red in the spring) silver/red, red/green, black, black/silver (all with beadhead of varying colors, use tungsten bead If I am fishing deeper than 10 feet.
Scuds, olive, brown, orange. I pumped a trout in Star last fall and this was what he had been eating

Leeches,(tied with rabbit strips) black, brown, olive, claret, purple (I fish these on a sinking line)

I have fished the bow from April to October and have my best luck with a hopper/dropper setup. Tungstud for the dropper in olive, rust or black. I have had some luck fishing black or white streamers with a sink tip in the Bow as well.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Although dry fly fishing is probably the most exciting, I fish with mostly subsurface flies, as trout feed about 90% under the surface.
Dry Flies (I don't fish these very often)
Elk Hair Caddis
Chernobyll
Stimulator

l.
i agree that wet flies will catch more fish most days. i also agree that nothing is cooler than wading a stream casting to the pools and trying to read the water. the art of trying to lay a fly perfectly within the riffle for the ideal drag free drift...... thats what i love about flyfishing the mountain streams right there. when a silver torpedo comes up to take your offering , well thats just adding the final highlight to an already great day.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:26 AM

For me I love dry flies first because the thrill of seeing a rising trout smash your fly is tough to beat imho. Here is my list:

Dry flies
-floating foam back water beetle
-elk hair caddis
-mayfly
-dragonfly patterns
-mosquito and black fly patterns

Wet flies
-backswimmer
-bead head prince nymph
-chironomid patterns
-bead head olive caddis
-shrimp patterns

I can't wait to get the fly rod out this spring.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:41 AM

Lol obviously after nearly 2 pages & various ideas of the "best" flies there can't just be 10 best flies but it's neat to see what everyones ideas are about what constitutes productive patterns. My latest goto flies have been size #16-20 Griffiths gnat since they seem to nail a few really nice trout no matter what's hatching & Diawl Bach's in black & red or standard peacock & red size #10-18 seem to be deadly anywhere Chironomids are found which is everywhere!

Last edited by pikester; 04-02-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:02 PM

Love this forum ,never a shortage off good advise and tricks.....will take all info into consideration.....thanks
Old 04-02-2011, 09:51 PM

I second the black gnat firetail vote too. I don't tie flies and I only manage to get out with the flyrod 2 or 3 times a year, but here's what has worked well for me:

1. Chernobyl
2. Caddis patterns
3. Black Gnat
4. Anything with big white wings

I like watching my fly float, the fish hit and then the nice crisp ssshhhhp sound when the line lifts out of the water when you set the hook. This is probably why I like the chernobyl and big white flies so much - very visible.

This thread is making my cabin fever much worse!! Open water season seems so far away.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:53 PM

#5 - Stimulator

... forgot about that one.

very reliable
Old 04-02-2011, 10:02 PM

caught this bruiser on one of those flies mentioned. i think about 7-8lbs
Old 12-25-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
trout top 10
dry flies--EHC,(all)adams,turks turnatula,hoppers (in all shapes and designs), stimulator, chrynobal ant, madam X, royal coachmen,mayflies/drakes,misquto,ants.
nymphs--cronomids,stoneflies,hares ear,prince nymph, pheasrnt tail nymph,copper johns,SJW,scuds and ?leeches?.water boatmen
streamers-wooly bugger,sculpins,?leeches?, clouser minnows,water dragons, royal minnows, whitefish imatations works well too.
terrestrials-beatle,ants,hopper,crickets,inchworms,clubsanchwic h and many more.
my top 10 out of all of em are.(choose ones that imatate more then one food source.)
1.wooly bugger-imatates sculpins leeches and minnows.
2.hopper-imatates crickets and grasshoppers.
3.SJW-imatates sanjuan worms,earth worms trout worms
4.adams- imatates a to of dry fly hatches including drakes and misquitos,ect
5.prince nymph- imatates all nymphs/cronomids that are gonna hatch(wings are key)
6.waterboatmen- trout key in on them exclusivly on the fall.
7.clouser minnows-imatates all baitfish and minnows along with sculpins.
8.The ant-imatates just about the only thing but the trout will readly rise to these in high preasure fishn conditions
9.stoneflies-the trout will be splashing/slashng at this as soon as it hits the water!
10.turks turantula-imatates a ton of terrestils and is a good attractor pattern when thingsarnt rising try em on cuttys!
good luck. theres alot to choose form but those are the ones i mainly use.
x2! Great choices!
Old 12-25-2012, 11:54 PM

here is my favorite

and any nine others

David

Doc-Spratley-Dark-Green-2.jpg