Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 08:05 AM

Default New Firearm Maintenance

When I receive a new firearm, I typically give it a good cleaning, remove the stock and check for excessive oil etc before firing it. With bolt actions, I disassemble the bolt and clean as well. Because of the extra work required, and the fact that I don't usually use my SxS or O/U shotguns in cold conditions, I typically don't bother removing the butt stock or the side plates on a side lock. I recently acquired a new SxS shotgun , and I simply cleaned and lubed it, and when I took it out at -16 on a pheasant hunt, I experienced a slight hangfire, and examining the primer of the fired hull the primer strike was so light that I was surprised that the primer ignited at all. Once I got home, I removed the butt stock to discover that the firing pins and mechanism were swimming in oil, so I cleaned off the oil, and sparingly lubed with a synthetic lube. This was a first for me, although I have seen rifles fail to fire in the cold due to grease or oil in the bolt
What is your typical procedure when you receive a new to your firearm?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:41 AM

Not in every case, but with most new firearms I take them completely apart to clean and lubricate. Rifles get the bore cleaned and shotguns get a bore snake pulled though unless I see something in there that needs more attention. I've found that some brands of firearms have lot's of packing grease and some brands have very little.

On a recent SXS acquisition, I had about 40 rounds through it when the hammer fell on the second shot but the round failed to go off. There was a click as I pulled the trigger but the primer had no mark on it. I tried another two rounds and the same thing happened again but when I touched the lever to open the action, the second round fired! (There's a lot to be said for pointing the gun downrange until you get the action opened. )
I pulled the stock off when I got home and found there were tiny wood fibers stuck to the edge of the left hammer and an arched trail mark on the inside of the stock next to the hammer. Obviously the hammer was hanging up on the side of the stock and just touching the top lever was enough to let it drop. I relieved a bit of wood from there with a dremel and problem solved.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:15 AM

Default dry lube

I agree that COMPLETE disassembly and cleaning are best then using a dry lube for those moving parts. I've used graphite but this doesn't last for long and should be cleaned off before storing when a good anti-moisture lube is applied..

I say COMPLETE cleaning because I once rushed the cleaning and after firing the rifle I had oil on my shooting/safety glasses.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:45 AM
Banned

Remove the stock, douse everything with brake cleaner, only on metal parts. I also use wire brushes and tooth brushes to clean some of the spots that just won’t come out. From there it’s action cleaner. I have always used a foaming bore cleaner and then patches and brushes, patches, then a mop. For lube I normally use the Remington DriLube from the spray can. Goes on liquid but dries as a very light wax, kind of.

This has worked well for me.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:10 AM

Default Buy Tikka

Sorry to sound like a jerk but I buy Tikka and they are pre tested at the factory and most come pretty much ready to shoot out of the box. That being said I do clean them if needed but generally they are clean and ready to go. I remove them from the stock to adjust the trigger but I havent found one (owned 5) that needed any special cleaning. Maybe I am lucky.

I also have done Rem 700 build and they are great too but they needed cleaning.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Banned

I’ve owned Tikka, Remington, and Weatherby. All of them needed to be cleaned from factory. Some more than others, in my case the Weatherby Vangaurd S2 was the worst, but they all needed some.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:05 PM

Whether new or just new to me, I thoroughly clean,and lightly oil every firearm.
I dry swab the barrel before using, clean and light oil after using.
I clean and use a heavy oil for long term storage, like over the winter, I want nothing rusting while I'm not watching. Clean and light oil again before using. But I have lots of time on my hands.