Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-27-2007, 10:08 PM

Thumbs up Hunt South-Africa

Hey guys,
Got back from South-Africa just recently after a 5 day hunt. it cost me about $3000 and was the best money i have spent in a long time.

When Africa is in your blood, you cant get her out

This was the very first animal i hunted in South-Africa and tracked myself in the African bush. day 2

Impala

Not an extremely big Warthog, but i am happy with it, shot on day 3

Young Onyx shot on day 5, they are smaller in the bush than the ones in the Kalahari.

Last edited by lilsundance; 07-27-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:03 AM

looks like you had fun. Where were you in SA? Why did you not shoot anything else? We also need some stories to go with the pics. Thanks for posting the pics
Old 07-28-2007, 10:06 AM

Glad to see you had a good time. Gotta like the looks of that Onyx, handsome animal there Phil.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:15 AM

Default cool

Thanks for posting the pics. Glad you had a good time. Congrats.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:25 AM

Nice animals! $3000 wow, that's quite affordable. Was that including your plane ticket?
Old 07-28-2007, 11:40 AM

Default thats sounds cheap

Was that the total cost? Did you go with a group or alone? Would be interested in something like that for next year.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:59 PM

including my plane ticket was around $5000.00 the hunt was at Sheldrake ranch 12000 hectare of land in the Limpopo Province, very close to the Zimbabwe border.

you asked for stories on the different animals.. so here it goes.

Day1.
We tracked and found the zebra but didn't get a shot on one, saw many impala but never one the presented with a shot unless i was going to snap shoot, and since you pay for the animal you shoot at even if you don't kill it, i decided not to take chances.
Day 2.
It was around 6:45 am and we had been in the field since around 6:00 again tracking the zebra, We spotted a herd of impala to our one side and started moving in their direction, we had only some brush between us and the impala with a opening to the one side. at around 90 meters the impala ram came and stopped right in the middle of the opening and i took the shot, breaking both front shoulders he still went roughly 90 yards or more before he fell beside a lone standing bush.
the pictures we taken at camp by my tracker after the animal had been in the cooler a few hours.

Day 3
once again we were tracking the zebra (we never did catch up the them again) and we spotted a group of about 5 hogs in a wide open field, almost savanna, feeding in the dirt. made a short move to get under cover of a few thorn trees and waited for him to clear from beyond the other hogs, he was the only bore in the bunch. After about a 5 minute wait i places the shut right behind his shoulder at around 120meters. he stayed right were he was when i hit him. (i recovered the bullet in the hide on the off side)

Day 4 was rather uneventful, just a lot of walking to catch up the zebras.

Day 5
after half a day of walking, trying to find the zebra one last day, we spotted this young gemsbuck cow sleeping under a tree and got to within about 60yards before she spotted us (we had decent covering) she stood and stared at us for about 3 or 4 minutes (thats what it felt like) before i decided to shoot her. the bullet entered right at the front of her chest and the bullet was recovered in one of the hind legs. despite destroying the hart and lungs she still went a fair distance these are extremely tough animals i been told.

i plan to go back again next year, but to a different outfit. If anyone is interested, send me a pm.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:22 PM

That's awesome man! Congrats and thanks for sharing. Some day I will make it there.....some day.....sigh

Tree
Old 07-28-2007, 06:38 PM

Africa is not expensive,
Africa can be hunted (all inclusive) for around the same costs as a caribou hunt, pm me for more information.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:22 PM

Congrats on some great animals...... sounds like it was a pretty basic hunt. Did you have guides with you at all times? That $5000.00 does not include the cost to get the hides back to Canada does it? How much will that cost? I am quite surprised at how cheap the hunt was.... YOU BE LUCKY BOY !!!!!
Old 07-28-2007, 09:31 PM

Great looking animals , for sure!
I'll talk to you moree about them at Drayton, Phil.
Cat
Old 07-28-2007, 10:38 PM

well.. when my taxidermy cost me $500 US and the shipping.. we will find out soon it wont be coming for a couple months though.
in my taxidermy is Impala shoulder mount, Springbuck shoulder mount (no photos unfortunately) Gemsbuck European mount and tanned hide, warthog tusks bleached and cleaned.

i believe the export and import cost is around $100 US taken from the bill i have of the springbuck.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:01 PM

Congrats on your trip. It is on my list of things to do after Daytona 500 and Octoberfest, maybe the running of the bulls in Pamplona Spain. Makes me sometimes wonder if Alberta is too generous with the hunter-host option for people that don't want to spend money on an out-fitted hunt. Is there a similar option in S.A., I doubt it. Half the doctors in my town are S.A. and try to sell me a hunt over there for similar prices. They can't believe the hunting opportunities we have over here, they all hunt, and hunt EVERYTHING. They are good guys and maybe they could line me up with a hosted-hunt there.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:14 PM

Phil,

Congrats on your trophies. Thanks for posting the photos, they serve to make hunting Africa a reality. What was the basis for your choice of PH and area? What cartridge did you hunt with and what was the load?

I'm conducting some research for an African hunt in a couple of years from now. Initially, I was leaning towards South Africa but now it's more likely to be Namibia. I'm waiting for replies from Ozondjahe Safaris and Klawerberg. In order of importance, I'm interested in Kudu, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest and Hartman's Zebra. This hunt will serve as a scouting hunt for possible future hunts. The friend who will accompany me on this first hunt wants to return for lion, the trophy of his dreams. From my research, the Kalahari lion offers a heavier, darker colored mane.

Any suggestions and tips you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Bobby B.