Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-07-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Islander

Hey C,
How did make out Wed evening.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:41 PM

Hey Tuc, sorry about the late response. I've been super busy lately. Last wednesday (opening day for archery), I got a shot at a small fork mulie buck,but misjudged the range. I shot low, and ended up chasing the buck around for the rest of the evening, twice within forty yards, only to have no clear shot. Got out again Saturday morning at first light, and saw two midsize bucks going from the feeding to the bedding area, but couldn't get within range before they were long gone. Had some string problems later in the morn while drawing on a coyote, but after a trip to jim-bows I was back in action. Took the stepson out on Saturday evening, and after numerous stalks on potential archery-zone does, we spotted two HOG mulies. They were the two biggest deer I have ever laid eyes on. After a long slow stalk, I was within 30 yards, just about to clear the last bush, with the one buck quartering slightly away, when a third unseen deer spotted me and spooked. The two bucks knew something was wrong, so they hopped off. I could have cried. But what a rush. Anyhow, I did get out last night (Monday), and after stalking more does, I did manage to break the seal and get my first bow kill. It was a mulie doe that more or less watched my slowly walk to forty yards. At the shot, she jumped the string and my arrow caught her further back than I would have liked, but she ran 30 yards into a gully, where I quickly put one through both lungs, and down she went. I didn't have much time to celebrate, as it was getting dim and I had a 700 yard solo drag out. It took a while, but it was worth every second. As for the big guys, I'll be haunting them for the rest of the season. I'll keep you posted.

Islander
Old 09-12-2007, 12:15 AM

Isl,
Sounds like lots of action on them hunts. Sorry to hear the bucks gave you the slip and congrats on your first deer kill with the bow. Post some pics if you have any.

I'm headed up to 402 for opening day. The week after my wife and I are going to Sask, then I'll be back for more elk hunting. Just let me know when your ready and we'll organize something.
TTYL!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:21 AM

Congrats Islander! I took my first doe with a bow last season. She'll be one of the most unforgetable deer I have ever killed!

Tree